Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
How regularly do you take it? You might be highly dependent on it if you are taking it very regularly. I would not tell you to stop taking your meds but I would suggest considering getting therapy alongside it and possibly discuss with your doctor if you should try taking less of your drugs on some days or taking a couple days off and then getting back on-I know children with adhd often are instructed to take 'drug holidays' to avoid developing too much dependence and tolerance on the stuff.

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
okcarmen
Giovanna_Deiderich
Why is it that Ritalin makes my ADHD symptoms ten times worse?

Every time I take my Ritalin and it wears off, I am extremely hyper, all over the place, climbing all over things, running everywhere, random, and it takes hours for it to go away. Is this normal for Ritalin or should I be concerned.

Also, is ADHD supposed to worsen over time? It seems as if after middle school, my symptoms grew worse? Why is this?

Edit: Please don't post anything that basically tells me that I should stop taking medicine. The only person who has the right to decide that is myself, along with the help of my doctor. One, I have done enough research on ADHD medicine to get an understanding on the safety, side effects, and so on of what I am consuming. Two, I've discovered that a lot of people's reasons for saying "stop taking that medicine" are basically based off of information that was not thoroughly looked into..and is biased or belief based. Three, I trust my doctor saying "Stop taking medication" over the one or two people who may have had a "bad experience"....Who has more credentials here? The person with the butt-load of degrees on his wall.

So please, don't tell me to stop taking my medication...I hope you can understand...and respect my request.

Have you ever considered taking the Long lasting Ritalin. It lasts for 12 hours, rather than the 4 hour lasting ones you need to take twice a day.

I started with taking the normal Ritalin. 20mgs in the morning, 20mgs at midday. But after it wore off in the late afternoon I felt really down and not myself. So my doctor changed it to Ritalin LA, which is a 12 hour version, and you only need to take 1 pill in the morning and it will last for 12 hours. This version may also be known as Concerta. I found this worked for me so much better and will never go back to the short release Ritalin.

Let me know if you have tried taking Ritalin LA yet, because it worked wonders for me because it lasts for 12 hours which is pretty much all day and night, I also found that when it wore off I didn't feel bad at all.

I would try long acting Ritalin, but I recently discovered that I can't handle anything long acting. I couldn't handle Adderall XR nor Wellbutrin XR....I did horribly on those. IR is what works the best for me...and I'm sort of hesitant in taking anything else that's XR or Long Acting.
Giovanna_Deiderich
Why is it that Ritalin makes my ADHD symptoms ten times worse?

Every time I take my Ritalin and it wears off, I am extremely hyper, all over the place, climbing all over things, running everywhere, random, and it takes hours for it to go away. Is this normal for Ritalin or should I be concerned.

Also, is ADHD supposed to worsen over time? It seems as if after middle school, my symptoms grew worse? Why is this?

Edit: Please don't post anything that basically tells me that I should stop taking medicine. The only person who has the right to decide that is myself, along with the help of my doctor. One, I have done enough research on ADHD medicine to get an understanding on the safety, side effects, and so on of what I am consuming. Two, I've discovered that a lot of people's reasons for saying "stop taking that medicine" are basically based off of information that was not thoroughly looked into..and is biased or belief based. Three, I trust my doctor saying "Stop taking medication" over the one or two people who may have had a "bad experience"....Who has more credentials here? The person with the butt-load of degrees on his wall.

So please, don't tell me to stop taking my medication...I hope you can understand...and respect my request.

Have you ever considered taking the Long lasting Ritalin. It lasts for 12 hours, rather than the 4 hour lasting ones you need to take twice a day.

I started with taking the normal Ritalin. 20mgs in the morning, 20mgs at midday. But after it wore off in the late afternoon I felt really down and not myself. So my doctor changed it to Ritalin LA, which is a 12 hour version, and you only need to take 1 pill in the morning and it will last for 12 hours. This version may also be known as Concerta. I found this worked for me so much better and will never go back to the short release Ritalin.

Let me know if you have tried taking Ritalin LA yet, because it worked wonders for me because it lasts for 12 hours which is pretty much all day and night, I also found that when it wore off I didn't feel bad at all.
Giovanna_Deiderich
Flucas
I take prescription stimulants and:
1) Lose my sense of subtle intuition and self
2) Fall into profound but disorienting perceptions (love, merging)
3) Get incapacitated by anxiety. Aware of permeability of identity.
4) Get boring s**t done

Why don't more people talk about how stimulants affect their sense self and intuition? That was my problem from day one.

For me it's
1.) I get boring s**t done
2.) Get easily irritated once the medication wears off
3.) My mood is more stabilized
4.)I feel more motivated
5.) Gets rid of my anxiety

and plenty more crap that basically points to me not wanting to climb all over things, run around and fail in the focus area. Other than that, I'm actually fine. I don't really focus on other things...I think about college and academics more...which I never really focused on academics since elementary school. XD

For me when I take medicine:

1.) I can focus on one task
2.) I feel more decisive
3.) Get boring stuff done
4.) Fell more motivated
5.) I don't feel 100% like "me" b/c I'm not looking for stimulant
Well, It could be possible you need a higher dose. If you've been taking the medication for a long time, talk to your doctor, and see what they think. I take Adderall, and every few months I have to go in and do check ups with it, because you're body becomes immune to the current dose after a period of time.

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

I get way too frustrated when trying to clean my room, that its too the point unless someone is going to SEE it. It stays a mess. The dislike of the mess is severely outweighed by the frustration of cleaning it sweatdrop

Yep. I get the same way. . .and it works in a vicious cycle. *Start cleaning *Get Frustrated *Quit *Play a game *Decide that I need to clean.....Repeat the list over and over until the room is clean. No one is ever going to see my room, so I could care less about finishing it at a reasonable time. So I am kinda slow at it...It's not like how my dorm used to be. If it gets cluttered, I have that clean in a matter of an hour.. XD

You have a valid point. You know what you have inspired me. I'm going to start by spending at least 15 mins a day cleaning my room. Since I'm not working right now I think I can do it... and If I don't get frustrated I'll up it by 10 mins. And keep upping it until I start to get frustrated then drop it five minutes then keep at it.

Awesome! It should turn out well. I know the challenge for me was how long it would stay that way.

That's part of the battle... lets see if I can win the war!! smile

Lol biggrin You will! Oh...I am very sure that you will! :3

Playful Lover

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

I knew I wasn't the only one!!! It's such a challenge to keep my room clean, and the moment I lasp in maintaining, it all goes to hell. Then I sit there and I don't want to do it because 'It's just going to get dirty again'

I know what you mean. That's why I kind of stopped trying to make it all nice and organized. Though I do clean it after I get tired of looking at the mess. It's soooo difficult to keep something nice and neat, even when I put forth the effort to put things back where they belong. XD

I get way too frustrated when trying to clean my room, that its too the point unless someone is going to SEE it. It stays a mess. The dislike of the mess is severely outweighed by the frustration of cleaning it sweatdrop

Yep. I get the same way. . .and it works in a vicious cycle. *Start cleaning *Get Frustrated *Quit *Play a game *Decide that I need to clean.....Repeat the list over and over until the room is clean. No one is ever going to see my room, so I could care less about finishing it at a reasonable time. So I am kinda slow at it...It's not like how my dorm used to be. If it gets cluttered, I have that clean in a matter of an hour.. XD

You have a valid point. You know what you have inspired me. I'm going to start by spending at least 15 mins a day cleaning my room. Since I'm not working right now I think I can do it... and If I don't get frustrated I'll up it by 10 mins. And keep upping it until I start to get frustrated then drop it five minutes then keep at it.

Awesome! It should turn out well. I know the challenge for me was how long it would stay that way.

That's part of the battle... lets see if I can win the war!! smile

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

I knew I wasn't the only one!!! It's such a challenge to keep my room clean, and the moment I lasp in maintaining, it all goes to hell. Then I sit there and I don't want to do it because 'It's just going to get dirty again'

I know what you mean. That's why I kind of stopped trying to make it all nice and organized. Though I do clean it after I get tired of looking at the mess. It's soooo difficult to keep something nice and neat, even when I put forth the effort to put things back where they belong. XD

Playful Lover

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

My ability to organize is limited. My room being one of the areas not included in my organization circle. gonk

Yeaaaah. My room is a mess. I can only keep it organized for so long before it looks like a complete and total clutter. I can organize things relating to academics, but that's that. lol

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

My ability to organize is limited. My room being one of the areas not included in my organization circle. gonk

Yeaaaah. My room is a mess. I can only keep it organized for so long before it looks like a complete and total clutter. I can organize things relating to academics, but that's that. lol

Playful Lover

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

Try making a list of what you need to get done... and then cross things out as you acheive it, I feel that making the list real will help you realize that it's not as bad you think it is, plus when you see it diminishing you feel more power... but this is just a theory, that works for me.

That sounds really logical. I will make sure to keep that in mind. It can probably help improve my very poor organizational skills as well.

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

Try making a list of what you need to get done... and then cross things out as you acheive it, I feel that making the list real will help you realize that it's not as bad you think it is, plus when you see it diminishing you feel more power... but this is just a theory, that works for me.

That sounds really logical. I will make sure to keep that in mind. It can probably help improve my very poor organizational skills as well.

Playful Lover

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

Yea expensive it is. But well worth it if you are passionate enough I took 5months and 25 days off to rest and decide. I started just before my grace period wore off for financial aid and I had started to miss school

I have the passion. It's just getting started, is where the problems begin. I have soooooo much that needs to take care of, it's almost overwhelming.

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

Yea expensive it is. But well worth it if you are passionate enough I took 5months and 25 days off to rest and decide. I started just before my grace period wore off for financial aid and I had started to miss school

I have the passion. It's just getting started, is where the problems begin. I have soooooo much that needs to take care of, it's almost overwhelming.

Playful Lover

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x
Giovanna_Deiderich
x-Ladii Lonii-x

Definitely. just make sure you give as specific of examples as you can so he can better gage what type of anxiety your are feeling to, and as well as how the medication wearing off affects effect you.

And Grad School is not as hard as it could so far. But I also think it depends on school atmospheres as well. My school is online and it seems a bit more relaxed than what my alma maters grad school was going to be like.

I'll keep that in mind. :3

I see...I guess you can say that gives me a better outlook when it comes to grad school and what not. It's just going to be very expensive. . .I know that much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff