Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Bloodsucker

It doesn't snow here.
Can someone explain Ice Hockey to me because it looks like fun.

Newbie Noob

4,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Member 100
Ice Hockey is the single greatest thing to ever happen to humanity. But I might be biased.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The absolute basic is that there's five men on the ice for each team. The point of the game is to get the puck into the enemy net and score as many goals as possible before the end of the game. A game is three periods long, and each period is roughly 20 minutes but they go longer than that because of commercial breaks and delays in game for penalties and goal victory dances and what not. It's a really physical game with a lot of fighting, smashing people about, and a number of violent things like that. The games aren't typically very high scoring, with an average score being about 3. If you find your teams are tied at the end of the game you go to a five minute overtime, and whoever scores during overtime wins the game. If you're still tied you go to a shootout where a single player tries to on the enemy goalie one on one. Each team takes turns trying to score on each other until someone wins, and it typically goes best 3 out of 5. There are various penalties but they're pretty simple, like no hooking or tripping people with you're hockey stick, don't interfere with the goalie, and what not. If you take a penalty (depending on the severity of the penalty) you'll be sent to the penalty box, and you'll be there for two or five minutes. During that time your team goes down one man and it goes from even strength to five on four, and they call this a power play for the other team.

There's a lot of other stuff, but it's relatively easy to pick up. I recommend somehow seeing a game live. Watching it on TV is great, but it's nothing like the real life experience.

I really hope that made sense and have a lovely day!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff