Welcome to Gaia! ::

So basically with everyone being shunned out due to the captchas today I've started to wonder...why does gaia even use them anymore. Oh yeah more advertisement...only reason. But what about those who have ads turned off? The captchas are technically ads still due to the fact that you have to answer questions, sometimes watch a video or it's just a picture of a beer brand [which being on a game that has many young people like 13-18 also is frowned upon throwing BEER advertisements in their faces].

Obviously gaias staff has a bunch of crap on their plates but when given the chance I think us as gaians should demand they switch to invisible captchas and here are the reasons why.

1. Bots can still bypass regular captchas. Though there is much debate many programmers say honey pots actually trap a bot more effectively than regular captchas.

2. They are invisible. No users ever have to type anything again. The only people that will deal with the captchas will be the bot. So I guess no people will be dealing with it if you look at it that way.

3. Today's captcha problems are certainly not the only problems people have had with them. There have been many many times I've had what happened today happen at other points. Or the captcha is un-readable. Or the captcha won't show. There is a laundry list of problems they have. Yes yes I know 95% of the time they work fine but still.

4. They still are advertisements... As stated above it's quite bogus that you will claim to some members who spend money on your site they can be "Ad free" for an amount of time [excluding captchas.....towns....rally...you get the point you get like 4 ads removed for PAYING gaia].

I could go on and on and on but I'd actually like to hear some feedback so I don't want to make this to long winded. Comment below if you agree disagree or don't really know what a honey pot is. Thanks.

High-functioning Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
There are no bots any more.
Samsas_KuroGrell
There are no bots any more.

all the more reason for them to go ahead and do this. In the case that a bot does log they will still be caught.

User's won't have to deal with captchas anymore.

High-functioning Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
I rarely even see these captchas. Think the real reason for them is to slow down the people spaming the forums.

Demonic Sex Symbol

17,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • OTP 200
They aren't bad, but they are annoying and I agree they do run into problems every now and then. The recent ddos attacks and the captcha's not working proved just how bad they can be. I see where as Samas said its reason might be to slow down spammers, but at the same that that's why gaia made the auto response in regards to posting. Every so often after responding to a post, you will get a message telling you to slow down which you can't post for at least another minute. In which case, is the captcha needed then? no.

To be honest, I never liked them and I see them more on my profile comment when replying to other users then in the forums. Still though, if they wanted to keep something like it, I honestly suggest just another work around instead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff