Welcome to Gaia! ::

mluck24
MegaTurkey
Sinful Ways
MegaTurkey
Sinful Ways
Just going to toss my two scents in here.
I had watched a documentary a month ago that talked about there being a possibility that the maps the vikings might be more accurate than the maps we use today.

I wouldn't rely on a globe either. I've also heard that the Earth isn't really round that it is only perceived that way from the pictures our satellites take.

It's looking pretty round from the moon…
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

Again, only looks that way because it is a picture taken by our satellites. There is also research out there that explains and states why Earth isn't exactly round.

That image wasn't taken by satellites but rather by the Apollo 8 astronauts with a camera. If you want to be pedantic, yes the Earth is not a perfect sphere - it is an oblate spheroid with dynamic anomalies all along its surface influenced by many factors from the gravitational forces of the moon and sun, the changing weight of the oceans and atmosphere and also postglacial rebound, etc. But for all intents and purposes, yes the Earth is a sphere; these changes are in the order of centimetres. The irony is that in actual fact it is satellites that are used to measure such changes and determine an accurate representation of the Earth's shape.

you both neglect the obvious answers as to why it isn't EXACTLY round is due to mountains and trenches and so on and so forth. But for all intents and purposes, the Earth can be considered a sphere.

Wow you're so insightful! emotion_kirakira It's not because they're surface features or anything…

Dapper Reveler

My geography teacher gave us an orange peel and told us to make a rectangle.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff