Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think about string theory?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 8, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4

phasmaexmachina
Hint to the next person who thinks they can explain dimensions: if your post doesn't contain the word 'orthogonality' and it's definition, then your post is probably going to be meaningless.

I disagree. Orthogonality only makes sense in metric spaces, while dimensionality is meaningfully definable as a topological property.

Califlora
Okay... First off... phasmaexmachina... SHUT THE ******** UP... if your gonna just b***h and whine about idiots... what the hell are you doing on a forum site... people like you are why I swore off s**t like this for almost two years.

This is very puzzling. Are you saying that the forums are reserved for use only by idiots? I don't agree with everything phasmaexmachina says; frankly, he is sometimes in error, but it seems evident that he is at least making an effort into understanding things and to to provide actual information, instead of just making stuff up and passing it along as facts.

Califlora
as to 'the next person to try and explain dimensions' well I'm stepping up, unfortuantly right off I have to state most of this is opinion with only hobby reading and writing to back it.

The it's-just-my-opinion excuse to spout random crap seems to be fairly common on this board. It doesn't really matter if you believe all of that personally, but are you willing to commit to your claims or not?

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
zz1000zz
String Theory is just like religion.

My god, an accurate statement about string theory! XD
VorpalNeko
I disagree. Orthogonality only makes sense in metric spaces, while dimensionality is meaningfully definable as a topological property.
Given that this is string theory, I agree that knowledge of topology would be the best here, but I would be somewhat happy if the people talking about dimensions at least knew enough algebra so that they could talk about some sort of dimension with meaning. I doubt the majority of people here can actually understand what it means for something to have >3 dimensions without resorting to a bad analogy.

Califlora
I belive that because anything CAN happen, everything DOES happen, however, we only preceive the path we take. To clarify, I suppose the best way to explain what I mean, is I'm taking about a duelism-based universe out of Metaphysics (Philosphy), the mind moves through the universe, and nothing actually moves, rather our perceptions change as we move through the universe, and thus time.
This is the Science forum rather than the Religion one. Your metaphysics are meaningless here.

A Lost Iguana
zz1000zz
String Theory is just like religion.

My god, an accurate statement about string theory! XD
As sarcastic as that might sound, I bet someone somwhere has formally begun to turn string theory in a get-on-your-knees-and-kill-a-goat religion. The New Agers have already despoiled QM by scaling it up to the macroscopic level and creating a "free will" and a "soul" based on it.
Actually, there is no real difference in accepting the String Theory as true, and accepting some religious text to be true.
wheres the " opinions are like @$$holes, everyone's got one" option on the poll. domokun it really doesn"t matter what a bunch of ignorant people's OPINIONS are, because when it comes down to it, its proof thats the currency in the scientific world and right now everyone's broke... If the secrets of the universe were based on the opinions of people 1) there would be no secrets because in most peoples opinions they already "KNOW" why something can or cant be based on some other persons/scientists OPINION which of course he has no proof whatsoever and 2) i would be crucified and burned in hell and annointed as a saint pretty much simultaneously, because i know in some peoples opinions im an a** and in MY opinion im a saint. domokun domokun domokun
That's it, I'm getting a string theory textbook out of my college library and reading it. Even the rubbish about gaussian integrals. Then I'll post about it.

Then you'll all be sorry.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces