Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Does anyone have a good explanation for how metamorphosis likely evolved? From what I've heard the process is quite complex, and I have heard creationists use it as evidence against evolution. I'm not a creationist but I would like to know how the evidence suggests that this could've been gradually selected for.

Fanatical Zealot

It was most likely random.

Idk, a lot of animals shed their skin and whatnot, like snakes, and most insects molt.

Quite possibly during a molting phase they just develop more and more capabilities; maggots turn into ants right, eggs into creatures?

That could be seen as a form of metamorphosis. Likely, when they get to a certain size, it was just more ideal to grow these characteristics, under a controlled setting, rather than just in the environment.

It could be seen as development outside the egg.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Suicidesoldier#1

Idk, a lot of animals shed their skin and whatnot, like snakes, and most insects molt.

Quite possibly during a molting phase they just develop more and more capabilities; maggots turn into ants right, eggs into creatures?

That could be seen as a form of metamorphosis. Likely, when they get to a certain size, it was just more ideal to grow these characteristics, under a controlled setting, rather than just in the environment.

I like this explanation. I figured that it might've been related to molting.

Fanatical Zealot

Nerdologist
Suicidesoldier#1

I like this explanation. I figured that it might've been related to molting.

blaugh

Over time they just likely developed more characteristics once done molting that were more favorable. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff