Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Cat

miss kristina rose
Roflmeow

How interesting! I've never heard of doing it with wet hair before. Do you leave it on as long as you should normally and you've always got a nice color when done?

Yeah! It's more like damp hair? I get out of the shower after lightening, towel dry my hair, and then mix up my toner. I leave it on for the same amount of time and get a nice, even color.

Good luck heart

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it smile

Dapper Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
Roflmeow

How interesting! I've never heard of doing it with wet hair before. Do you leave it on as long as you should normally and you've always got a nice color when done?

Yeah! It's more like damp hair? I get out of the shower after lightening, towel dry my hair, and then mix up my toner. I leave it on for the same amount of time and get a nice, even color.

Good luck heart

Aged Cat

miss kristina rose
Roflmeow

Awesome, thank you so much for answering the questions! Since I do have a Sally beauty supply membership, I think I will try to do the toner and developer. I'm just nervous about the color removing process.

Usually when you get a toner and developer, do you use that whole bottle of toner? Awhile back I tried doing red highlights myself using the wig crap method and used the loreal made for dark hair but it didn't work because my hair was dyed a dark brown and not naturally my dark brown. I use the whole thing.

I have thick hair and it's a bit past my shoulders, not much so I'm guessing I'll need two.

For reference, I have thick, but fine hair that's down to the small of my back, but I only needed one bottle of toner. It's ALWAYS better to buy extra though, so I'd buy two and a large bottle of 20vol developer. With Wella, I used one bottle of toner to 90mL of developer. If you have a mixing bowl, there should be a measurement on the inside of it so you know how much developer to pour in, but if you don't have one with that inside, Sally's sells them for about $4. Always pour the developer in first to get an accurate measurement and always always always follow the directions on the toner. Someone at Sally's should be able to steer you in the right direction so you don't purchase anything that would cause adverse reactions. When I went in to purchase my lightener, activator, and toner, I asked them if all the products would work together and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. All of them DID work together, but with chemicals it's always better to ask than be sorry wink

Also, I've always done my toning on wet hair. I'm not sure if it makes a difference either way since I've heard people do it on wet and dry hair with no issues, but I find it easier to do on wet hair because I can just flip my hair over the bathtub and treat it like a shampoo to get really in there biggrin

Dapper Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
Roflmeow

Awesome, thank you so much for answering the questions! Since I do have a Sally beauty supply membership, I think I will try to do the toner and developer. I'm just nervous about the color removing process.

Usually when you get a toner and developer, do you use that whole bottle of toner? Awhile back I tried doing red highlights myself using the wig crap method and used the loreal made for dark hair but it didn't work because my hair was dyed a dark brown and not naturally my dark brown. I use the whole thing.

I have thick hair and it's a bit past my shoulders, not much so I'm guessing I'll need two.

For reference, I have thick, but fine hair that's down to the small of my back, but I only needed one bottle of toner. It's ALWAYS better to buy extra though, so I'd buy two and a large bottle of 20vol developer. With Wella, I used one bottle of toner to 90mL of developer. If you have a mixing bowl, there should be a measurement on the inside of it so you know how much developer to pour in, but if you don't have one with that inside, Sally's sells them for about $4. Always pour the developer in first to get an accurate measurement and always always always follow the directions on the toner. Someone at Sally's should be able to steer you in the right direction so you don't purchase anything that would cause adverse reactions. When I went in to purchase my lightener, activator, and toner, I asked them if all the products would work together and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. All of them DID work together, but with chemicals it's always better to ask than be sorry wink

Also, I've always done my toning on wet hair. I'm not sure if it makes a difference either way since I've heard people do it on wet and dry hair with no issues, but I find it easier to do on wet hair because I can just flip my hair over the bathtub and treat it like a shampoo to get really in there biggrin

Aged Cat

miss kristina rose
Roflmeow
MistressEnvy
Roflmeow
MistressEnvy
Roflmeow
Thanks for the replies everyone. My aunt has helped me (She works at a salon, but she's all the way in California while I'm in Texas), telling me I should try removing the color with a color remover first before possibly bleaching it.

Yes! color removers are way less harmful to your hair~

Not sure if you know the answer...

I've been researching color removers, one being Color Opps. I'm kind of confused as to what my color could possibly be after doing the remover.

If I was a red head before the dark brown, will it go back to that red hair tone? Light enough to redye it a nice bright red?

My natural is a dirty blonde but I'm not sure if that matters since I was dying my hair red for years with permanent dye.

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and girls with pure black hair that's been dyed have come out pretty light when they do the color opps, so I'm just wondering if mine might come out lighter than theirs, especially since I was a red head.

I used a color remover on my hair last year and went from red to blonde in one go. BackTrack byPAul Mitchel will take you to the lightest that you've ever been. After that you just have to formulate your color correctly apply it and you'll be good to go.

Sorry, don't want to sound stupid. I'm not use to doing anything but box dyes.

When you say "Formulate your color correctly" do you mean mixing the color to my liking?

I also have already a bottle of 30 developer. Should I go with 30 or a smaller number?

I think by "formulate color correctly" she's referring to a toner and developer, rather than a box dye. If you're using a box dye, just make sure you follow the directions. What comes in those boxes are all you'll need.

If you're using a developer and a toner, 20 is what I usually recommend to reduce damage to your hair. The higher the number, the stronger it will be, up to 40vol. For toners, I find I'm partial to Wella brand, but there are tons of great products out there.

Dapper Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
Roflmeow
MistressEnvy
Roflmeow
MistressEnvy
Roflmeow
Thanks for the replies everyone. My aunt has helped me (She works at a salon, but she's all the way in California while I'm in Texas), telling me I should try removing the color with a color remover first before possibly bleaching it.

I've been researching color removers, one being Color Opps. I'm kind of confused as to what my color could possibly be after doing the remover.

If I was a red head before the dark brown, will it go back to that red hair tone? Light enough to redye it a nice bright red?

My natural is a dirty blonde but I'm not sure if that matters since I was dying my hair red for years with permanent dye.

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and girls with pure black hair that's been dyed have come out pretty light when they do the color opps, so I'm just wondering if mine might come out lighter than theirs, especially since I was a red head.

I used a color remover on my hair last year and went from red to blonde in one go. BackTrack byPAul Mitchel will take you to the lightest that you've ever been. After that you just have to formulate your color correctly apply it and you'll be good to go.

When you say "Formulate your color correctly" do you mean mixing the color to my liking?

I also have already a bottle of 30 developer. Should I go with 30 or a smaller number?

I think by "formulate color correctly" she's referring to a toner and developer, rather than a box dye. If you're using a box dye, just make sure you follow the directions. What comes in those boxes are all you'll need.

If you're using a developer and a toner, 20 is what I usually recommend to reduce damage to your hair. The higher the number, the stronger it will be, up to 40vol. For toners, I find I'm partial to Wella brand, but there are tons of great products out there.

Aged Cat

MistressEnvy
Roflmeow
MistressEnvy
Roflmeow

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
Roflmeow
MistressEnvy
Roflmeow

Aged Cat

MistressEnvy
Roflmeow

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
Roflmeow

Aged Cat

Beloved Muse

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Be super careful. Bleaching from a dark colour is really hard on your hair, and it might take more than one go-round with the bleach to get it right. It's also possible to do some major damage, but that's bleach in general. Make sure you have a good toner, because the colour you're going to get with the bleach is a weirdo carrot top ginger, more than likely. It will make whatever red you try to dye over it go a bit strange if you don't adjust for it.

Personally, having bleached my hair a few times, I'd be prepared to either have to cut it off or shell out for the pro job if it goes awry. You might not necessarily have to, but it's best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
You're wanting an auburn brown? After lightening it, You should be able to apply the color after you rinse the lightener out. Please don't buy box color, if you have a Sallys you should go there to get your color. I'd use 20 vol developer. With conditioning treatments./

Or if you can buy it, bracktrack from paul mitchell, its a color remover and does very little damage to the hair.

I agree with the person who posted before me coconut il is great! so is Argan and Macadamia. YOu can buy this oil treatment at Walmart. Believe the product is Not Your Mothers?

Dapper Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
Roflmeow
Hey guys. I need some hair color advice.

I was a red head for years and loved it. Had an itch to dye it a very dark brown back in Feb. This past year, I did like it but my red craze was coming back. Last Novermber, I got highlights and she put in a "Cherry cola" toner, so it's a reddish color.

Now I want my whole head red. Problem is, it'll cost me $120 and sorry. not going to pay that. I want to do it my own.

I understand I will be bleaching my hair and it could come out a very bright orange. If that's the case, couldn't i stop at that step and just dye my hair red again? I'm wanting like an auburn red. I don't need to bleach my hair again, do I?

If you have any tips, let me know. I've been doing a ton of research before I do anything.

BTW it's my first post in Gaia for a LONG time, so hey guys. smile

Hello!

I just recently started the process of bleaching to platinum from dark brown. My hair had red undertones in it, which has made the process awful sweatdrop

If you're doing this yourself, please know that bleaching your hair is a risky venture! I just want that out there first and foremost.

You said you're going to be going to an auburn red, you should just need to do the bleach process and nothing else. This is best done when your hair is super greasy OR if you buy coconut oil, melt it and slather that in your hair for at least two hours. The coconut oil will protect your hair from a lot of the damage. I seriously CANNOT recommend the coconut oil enough! It'll be messy, so just throw your hair up in a shower cap and watch a movie or surf Gaia for a while.

If you already know how to bleach your hair, this is when you'd do it. I'd recommend buying a packet of bleach, a larger bottle of activator, and whatever toner you want to use for the final color. You could also just buy a small bottle of activator, a packet of bleach, and whatever box dye you fancy. Personally, I'd do the bleaching one day and the dyeing the following day to give your hair a nice little break, but that's really up to you.

Good luck and feel free to ask me more if I'm being unclear!

I'm not a hair professional, but I have been bleaching, dying, and cutting my own hair for about 10 years now, so I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs. Also, please do not use anything metal when bleaching your hair. The bleach with cause a chemical reaction with the metal and it won't be pretty.

Aged Cat

Hey guys. I need some hair color advice.

I was a red head for years and loved it. Had an itch to dye it a very dark brown back in Feb. This past year, I did like it but my red craze was coming back. Last Novermber, I got highlights and she put in a "Cherry cola" toner, so it's a reddish color.

Now I want my whole head red. Problem is, it'll cost me $120 and sorry. not going to pay that. I want to do it my own.

I understand I will be bleaching my hair and it could come out a very bright orange. If that's the case, couldn't i stop at that step and just dye my hair red again? I'm wanting like an auburn red. I don't need to bleach my hair again, do I?

If you have any tips, let me know. I've been doing a ton of research before I do anything.

BTW it's my first post in Gaia for a LONG time, so hey guys. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces