Welcome to Gaia! ::

OK, so as some of you may have noticed already, ten years ago this week, the United States and the so-called "Coalition of the Willing" went to war against Iraq.

For myself, I don't think there's much you can say about it, except that I suppose you can murder, with impunity, more than 100,000 innocent people as long as you're the President of the United States. I don't think even the Manson Family were responsible for much more that a score of people by comparison.

And, oh yeah, no connection to 9/11, and the WMD was a complete cocksucking lie, and anyone with the faintest chops at critical thinking pretty much guessed that before the invasion began.

Besides Bush and Blair et al, the other group of people that disgraced themselves were the media and the pundits:

Greg Mitchell
Now let's revisit my recent posts here on when probe in the Post itself by Howard Kurtz in 2004 showed that it failed big time. For one thing, Kurtz tallied more than 140 front-page Post stories "that focused heavily on administration rhetoric against Iraq"--with all but a few of those questioning the evidence buried inside. Editors there killed, delayed or buried key pieces by Ricks, Walter Pincus, Dana Priest and others. The Post's David Ignatius went so far as offering an apology to readers this week for his own failures. Also consider Bob Woodward's reflections here and here. He admitted he had become a willing part of the the "groupthink" that accepted faulty intelligence on the WMDs.

Woodward, shaming himself and his paper, once said it was risky for journalists to write anything that might look silly if WMD were ultimately found in Iraq. Rather than look silly, they greased the path to war. “There was an attitude among editors: Look, we’re going to war, why do we even worry about all the contrary stuff?" admitted the Post's Pentagon correspondent Thomas Ricks in 2004. And this classic from a top reporter, Karen DeYoung: “We are inevitably the mouthpiece for whatever administration is in power.“ See my review, at the time, of how the Post fell (hook, line, and sinker) for Colin Powell's fateful U.N. speech--and mocked critics. Not a "fail"?

In Farhi's piece, Len Downie, the longtime Post editor, is still claiming, with a shrug, hey, we couldn't have slowed or halted the war anyway. Farhi agrees with this. Nothing to see here, move along.

(link)

Jumping on this bandwagon of shame were nominal leftists Christopher Hitchens and the entire Euston Manifesto crowd, the latter of which we haven't heard much from these days for some reason. rolleyes

Among the people who were not sucked in were yours truly, and Daniel Davies, who explains here in a classic post how a few good lessons from MBA school came in handy when considering the matter:

Daniel Davies
Fibbers’ forecasts are worthless. Case after miserable case after bloody case we went through, I tell you, all of which had this moral. Not only that people who want a project will tend to make innacurate projections about the possible outcomes of that project, but about the futility of attempts to “shade” downward a fundamentally dishonest set of predictions. If you have doubts about the integrity of a forecaster, you can’t use their forecasts at all. Not even as a “starting point”. By the way, I would just love to get hold of a few of the quantitative numbers from documents prepared to support the war and give them a quick run through Benford’s Law.

Application to Iraq: This was how I decided that it was worth staking a bit of credibility on the strong claim that absolutely no material WMD capacity would be found, rather than “some” or “some but not enough to justify a war” or even “some derisory but not immaterial capacity, like a few mobile biological weapons labs”. My reasoning was that Powell, Bush, Straw, etc, were clearly making false claims and therefore ought to be discounted completely, and that there were actually very few people who knew a bit about Iraq but were not fatally compromised in this manner who were making the WMD claim. Meanwhile, there were people like Scott Ritter and Andrew Wilkie who, whatever other faults they might or might not have had, did not appear to have told any provable lies on this subject and were therefore not compromised.

So to summarize:

(1) Bush, Cheney, Blair etc: Lying war criminals who are still at large and who won't be arrested because Americans clearly have their heads on backwards or something

(2) The Press and the Pundits: Abetted the above, got pretty much everything wrong, yet are still, for some bizarre reason, gainfully employed even though by rights they should be discredited

(3) Christopher Hitchens: Enjoyed his AIDS cancer, but at least he knew there was no God or afterlife before he started pushing up daisies

(4) The Eustonites incl. Norman Geras: Would most probably want people to forget about them entirely.

Oh, and since the same talking heads are still in charge of what Noam Chomsky called the "manufacture of consent," get ready for another one in Iran in the not so distant future, too.

Hilarious Prophet

Dear Lord. . .
Jacque De Molay
Dear Lord. . .

So, it appears you have nothing substantive to say.

No surprise there.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Y'ask me, the big failure of the Iraq war was not in lying their heads off to get it to happen, which was pretty blasted obvious. (The argument that Hussein was colluding with Al Qaeda, for example, was based on Ansar Al-Islam, a Sunni/Kurdish group that was operating outside his regime's control.) The lies were actually quite successful and long-lived, and fooled enough people that it didn't matter that some of us weren't fooled.

Seriously, though. Who begins a military occupation thinking "we'll be welcomed as liberators and paraded through the streets to a pile of treasure"? Of course you won't, you'll be hated, feared and fought. The fundamental act of a military occupation is to invade somebody's country and turn it into a prison for dissidents. That doesn't make you very ********' popular - we've done it enough times to know by now.

That being the case, we should really have planned for a long, painful occupation where we weren't liked very much by the locals and didn't gain much of anything to speak of. Which, this being an elective war, we could have skipped.

Too bad.
Wendigo
Y'ask me, the big failure of the Iraq war was not in lying their heads off to get it to happen, which was pretty blasted obvious. (The argument that Hussein was colluding with Al Qaeda, for example, was based on Ansar Al-Islam, a Sunni/Kurdish group that was operating outside his regime's control.) The lies were actually quite successful and long-lived, and fooled enough people that it didn't matter that some of us weren't fooled.

Seriously, though. Who begins a military occupation thinking "we'll be welcomed as liberators and paraded through the streets to a pile of treasure"? Of course you won't, you'll be hated, feared and fought. The fundamental act of a military occupation is to invade somebody's country and turn it into a prison for dissidents. That doesn't make you very ********' popular - we've done it enough times to know by now.

That being the case, we should really have planned for a long, painful occupation where we weren't liked very much by the locals and didn't gain much of anything to speak of. Which, this being an elective war, we could have skipped.

Too bad.

"Elective war" is just a euphemism for "war of aggression". Which is what this was.

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Things that angered me 10 years out.

No one seemed to care it's been 10 ******** years besides some of the crazy as balls right wingers I want to cut myself over for hanging around.

Seriously Dem's, could you make the anti-war movement any more disenfranchised? It really shouldn't have been that hard.

#ragequit.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
azulmagia
"Elective war" is just a euphemism for "war of aggression". Which is what this was.
Well, yes. I could also have used "optional" or "extra credit."

Questionable Lover

10 years ago I had no idea what the war in Iraq was about.

10 years later I still don't know what the Americans are doing there, but I'm relieved that they're the only ones still there and the rest of the world has moved on in some way or another.

Smoker

Oh, I'm sorry, is the fact that the government is often/always evil a surprise to you all?
Gopher dude

10 years later I still don't know what the Americans are doing there, but I'm relieved that they're the only ones still there and the rest of the world has moved on in some way or another.

Why the war even began is one of the great mysteries of our time. One explanation is here:

Adam Kotsko
David Graeber
...the war planners made an almost obsessive effort to ensure the wars [in Afghanistan and Iraq] were effectively protest-proof. Propaganda was incessant, the media was brought on board, experts provided exact calculations on body bag counts (how many U.S. casualties it would take to stir mass opposition), and the rules of engagement were carefully written to keep the count below that.

The problem was that since those rules of engagement ensured that thousands of women, children, and old people would end up “collateral damage” in order to minimize deaths and injuries to U.S. soldiers, this meant that in Iraq and Afghanistan, intense hatred for the occupying forces would pretty much guarantee that the United States couldn’t obtain its military objectives. And remarkably, the war planners seemed to be aware of this. It didn’t matter. They considered it far more important to prevent effective opposition at home than to actually win the war.

This leads me to an inexorable conclusion. The true answer as to why we invaded Iraq is, “Because you can go ******** yourself.” It sounds like I’m kidding, but I’m really, really not.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Gopher dude

It's about read the list of names at the bottom of this letter:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraqclintonletter.htm

Hint, two at the bottom were the Secretary of _________ and his Deputy Secretary of _________, a guy in line two was our Ambassador to the United __________, first guy on line one was on Dubya's "National _________ Council"....

Enduring Regular

Saddam and his family had to be removed but the way in which the operation was conducted was the cause of all the problems you saw in the later years.

What the relevant top brass failed to realise is that Saddam had created a strong Iraq which kept the region and it's various religious groups quite and relatively peaceful. The removal if Saddam created a power vacuum and removed the protection he gave to certain minorities which predictably led to civil unrest. The murder of civilians and destruction of civilian infrastructure by U.S. Marines and other groups only inflamed the situation.

Yes Iraq is still somewhat unstable but things are calming down and the country is following a democratic path. No more dictators, no more wars, no more mass murders, it will work out long term. ...And yes, the people directly responsible for the deaths of civilians should face trail in a public Iraqi court of law.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff