Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. Mishka went to the vet today and came home with a clean bill of health (other than being a bit traumatized by all the handling and poking and prodding lol).

The vet said that her lungs, eyes, nose and ears are fine, and that its a good indication that she's healthy if she's still interested in food and is able to run around.
I had a recording on my phone of the chatter, and he said that it sounds more like communication than anything sinister. He said that respiratory problems in mice have a very distinct sound to them, and that this doesn't sound like that, so nothing to worry about. He also said that if Kyra, her cage-mate, doesn't appear to be ill (which she doesn't) then it's nothing. Apparently, Mishka just likes to talk a lot.

I'm on strict instructions to keep bedding, water and food fresh and clean and to make sure she doesn't get too fat because that can obviously cause health problems, but other than that she doesn't require antibiotics or anything.

Thanks again for all your responses smile

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
She's just bruxing. No need to worry.
xXFurygeistXx

Thanks, that's reassuring. I haven't owned mice in years and I don't remember any of my past mice doing it, in fact I'd never heard of the term "bruxing" until recently, so it's good to know she's not dying and that it's a normal sound. smile

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
xDark_Realityx
xXFurygeistXx

Thanks, that's reassuring. I haven't owned mice in years and I don't remember any of my past mice doing it, in fact I'd never heard of the term "bruxing" until recently, so it's good to know she's not dying and that it's a normal sound. smile

I had 15 rats at one point (all at once due to an unexpected pregnancy), and they'd always brux at me when preening my hair, or rat piling on me. Kinda burns it into your brain when you are covered in happy rats all bruxing and boggling at once. xd That your wee lassie isn't making the noise when she sleeps and is eating, sleeping, and pooping normally is a pretty good sign it's just happy mouse noises, not a respiratory problem. If you want to make sure, try and watch her mouth when she's making the sound. If her jaw is moving, she's bruxing, since they make the noise by grinding their teeth together really fast (I know, the thought alone makes me wince, but it's fine for them since their front teeth never stop growing...still wince worthy to me). It's like a cat purring, just for rodents. Your little Mishka is quite adorable, btw.
xXFurygeistXx
xDark_Realityx
xXFurygeistXx

I had 15 rats at one point (all at once due to an unexpected pregnancy), and they'd always brux at me when preening my hair, or rat piling on me. Kinda burns it into your brain when you are covered in happy rats all bruxing and boggling at once. xd That your wee lassie isn't making the noise when she sleeps and is eating, sleeping, and pooping normally is a pretty good sign it's just happy mouse noises, not a respiratory problem. If you want to make sure, try and watch her mouth when she's making the sound. If her jaw is moving, she's bruxing, since they make the noise by grinding their teeth together really fast (I know, the thought alone makes me wince, but it's fine for them since their front teeth never stop growing...still wince worthy to me). It's like a cat purring, just for rodents. Your little Mishka is quite adorable, btw.

Thanks smile She and Kyra are both very pretty little girls if I do say so myself, lol. 15 rats all at once must have been a handful!

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
don't worry i was a bit freaked out by it when I held my first mouse (and he came home with me).

he loves to do it when he is chilling on my shoulder, and he vibrates as he does it. Only issue I have with him though he is happy he still fear poos on me (GROSS XD) but poos normally in his cage.
I've just been told by a friend who has a friend who breeds rats that it's probably a nasal infection. I'm so mad at my mother for refusing to get Mishka treated or even looked at months ago. I'm going to do all I can to get her some help but I don't know what the result is going to be...
Has this friend of a friend listened to your mouse?
Come to think of it, have any of us? Lol. I wouldn't dismiss it as bruxing without hearing it.
Comis
Has this friend of a friend listened to your mouse?
Come to think of it, have any of us? Lol. I wouldn't dismiss it as bruxing without hearing it.

They said they listened to it and the friend trusts the friend-of-friend's judgement lol. I know what you mean though. I emailed our local vet to see if they even treat mice and luckily they do, my parents have agreed to keep an eye on her and make an appointment if necessary after the long weekend (ANZAC Day in Australia tomorrow, not sure if the vet will be open before 1pm and we're busy too). I was handling them both today and other than the strange sounds she seems very alert and interested in her surroundings.

Fingers crossed.
Edited first post for anyone who's interested.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff