Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

Looking for a trainer with a ton of experience in your area is a great idea! The downside is that it can be very difficult to find a trainer that's right for you. There's no such thing as college for dog trainers; anyone can be one (which in a lot of ways is great; my trainer is extremely well educated on dogs, but has no formal training--he's put over 200 titles on them, though, and since I'm training for sports, that's important to me!) but that means that as a consumer you have to be pretty savvy when searching.

I really strongly recommend Patricia McConnell though. Her books are really excellent, and are often available through libraries. I have a very fearful dog that's been able to overcome a lot through training mostly learned from books and through exposure; the trainers close to me are either the yank and crank kind (which I think is immoral, as well as being ineffective) or they're big box trainers (like at petsmart and petco, and their training programs are geared towards pets, and the trainers have very little real world experience) or they're sports people (which are great if that's what you're doing!).

Dapper Noob

4,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Oh god, that poor little dog. Maybe it just needs time?

I had a guinea pig that was very jittery and scared for like a few weeks or a month when I brought him home. He would run into his little igloo house whenever I came in the room, or even opened the door. Eventually after sitting by his cage super quiet he would come out and look at me, then run away if I ever moved xD But he got used to me to the point where he would come out and squeal when I went into the room 4laugh

Giving the puppy time to adjust is the only advice I really have sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces