Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Survivor

My Pomeranian-Sheltie has never really cared much for strangers or other dogs, but recently, he's changed. He is still a little territorial when people come indoors, but outside, he's a lot more laid back than he used to be. He'll walk up to people and expect to be petted, or play with other dogs. It might not seem like a big deal, but he's 9 years old and this has only happened in the past month or two. Is this something I should take him to the vet for? Or has he finally just started to get used to people and dogs?

Thankful Vegetarian

10,400 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I wouldn't be overly concerned if I were you. It might just be old age setting in, making him more complacent. If you really think something might be wrong though, it couldn't hurt to call the vet to be sure.
With a change towards friendliness, I wouldn't be too worried.

Around the time this started, was he introduced to somebody new that he actually liked? Did you move him to a new house?

It may also just be that with age he's realized there's no point in fighting against strangers and new experiences anymore.
I wouldn't be too worried about it considering your dogs age. Animals do get more teritorial as they age because they aren't as strong any more and feel threatened by other animals. The reason your dog is probably more freindly to people out side it's "territory" (your house) is because he doesn't feel like he has to assert his athority over them (again because he is old) so he might as well be freinds. XD

Devoted Inquisitor

Have you been working on the behavior? Sometimes things will just snap into place for dogs.

You might, if it is an extreme temperament change, take the dog to the vet, but if the dog is otherwise healthy, you might just let it go.
Yeah, it might just be age causing him to relax, it happens a lot, it happened with a couple of my dogs too. If he has any other problems though, it's worth mentioning to a vet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff