Welcome to Gaia! ::

i really want to adopt a cat but i travel from the us to south america twice a year. i would not be willing to leave it with anyone, friend or otherwise, i would like to take it with me and bring it back whenever i travel.

does anyone have any info on what the us requirements would be? it's not a problem at all in the country i'm going to, but bringing it back to the us seems like it would be a headache.. does anyone know what the specific requirements for the us are or where i could find that?

i'd appreciate any help, thank you!

also here are some photos of my sister's kitten, i just wanted to share because i think it's adorable ^^ the little girl is the daughter of a family friend who was visiting, she was obsessed lol.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
he's trying to hide from her lol

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.but she found him and told him that it was time for him to sleep haha. i almost died whee
I would suggest Google to help you, as well as contacting the Border and your vet and asking them. But here is some information that I typed out for someone else asking the same question a while back.

Most of it is about taking a pet over-sea's. But the same basic principal is there. You need a pet passport, a full vet visit and paper work on shots. You may need other things, but again, talking to your vet and calling the border is your best bet to find out what you really need.

I live in Canada and I've taken my dogs across the border to the U.S quite often. As long as they have their shots up to date and their rabies information, they can travel with me.

I would suggest making sure your kitty has a form of permanent ID, such as tattoo and/or a microchip.

Quote:

Contact your vet and do a pre-screen check up, he/she will be able to give you the lay of what will happen during the quarantine as well as the paper work you will need for your pet.

If your pet is not already crate trained, start on it now. She will be spending a lot of time in a crate and it should be a safe zone for her.

Permanent ID, such as a tattoo or a microchip is absolutely necessary as well as having a phone that you will be traveling with that's number is attached to the tattoo or microchip in case something does happen.

If your pet has any separation anxiety or has issues with stranger's handling her with you not there, get in contact with a trainer to work on those issues. Traveling/moving is stressful and you will not always get to be in the room with her.

Your pet will need a pet passport. Your vet will be able to do the documents needed for a pet passport.

Every quarantine is different, so I can not tell you how long she'd have to be away from you when you do finally move over-sea's. Here are a few website that will give you much more information. Your vet should also be able to help and your husband's work should be contacted so they know to give you enough notice about moving. With some of the blood tests your dog will have to go through, they have to be done 3 months in advance before moving.

This website below will be able to give you an over-view of the things you will need to travel with Bella.
Taking Your Pet Abroad

This website below will be able to give you the approximate lengths of time a quarantine will be for different area's of the world.
Pet Passport/Quarantine Lengths

I don't think there is any quarantine for just going over the border. But I don't know about South America. So checking with the border and your vet is the best thing to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff