Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Seeker

Does anyone have ANY advice on how to keep a cat from jumping on top of things? Ours somehow manages to get on our 3'' wide fireplace mantle and knock things off. Lately, it's been an incense tray and the lighter we use for it. I CANNOT have him doing this type of thing when the baby comes. I'm due with my first baby November 1st and so help me if, my child gets hold of something dangerous because of this cat...

He also makes a habit of jumping on any and all shelving, tables, etc. Some shelves that I can't even reach, he somehow manages to scale. I constantly have to buy new tweezers, nail files, chapstick, pens, etc, because he finds them on the shelves and hides them.

We've tried discipline/rewards, sprays, and tape, nothing seems to work. As soon as he realizes there's no tape down(Yes, he checks), he's back up there while we sleep. I'm kind of at my wits end with this. If it comes down to it, I will get rid of him, I just don't want it to come to that conclusion.

Halp.

How many high places does he have allowable access to? Cat trees, shelves for him, etc.. (cats like to be up high - it gives them the opportunity to observe more of their surroundings than they can at floor level and in the case of attacking - the one above generally has the advantage)
How much positive attention/interaction does he get from people each day? (negative attention is better than no attention, cats will do what they need to in order to get some kind of attention)

Anxious Seeker

~ Aki - Fairy ~
How many high places does he have allowable access to? Cat trees, shelves for him, etc.. (cats like to be up high - it gives them the opportunity to observe more of their surroundings than they can at floor level and in the case of attacking - the one above generally has the advantage)
How much positive attention/interaction does he get from people each day? (negative attention is better than no attention, cats will do what they need to in order to get some kind of attention)

We had cat perches, but he never used them. My mother has a VERY tall perch at her home, but he never did touch it aside from scratching the post at the bottom. I'm out in the house from the time I wake up until I go to sleep(not working until after baby is born), and he doesn't like to approach me and runs away most of the time. He will be friendly with my husband in the mornings, but it's usually only when he's expecting to be fed.

Baby Blue Sedan

You need to provide him with some appropriate high places. For some cats it's a matter of whatever the covering on it is, if anything at all; for some it could be stability; for some, smell; for some, association (something bad happened on/around it before); location/position can make quite the difference as well. Make sure they're sturdy/secure, in places he likes being -optimum observational position and/or near a window- and stick some of his favourite treats up there.
Once he's good with his appropriate places it may be easier to work towards getting him to stay off the inappropriate places.

I would also work on bonding with him, building that trust so that he can/will interact with you in a positive way - feeding him, giving him treats, playing with him (start with distance toys like a laser, build up closer to just using a wand toy), etc..

Pam may have more tips here

Anxious Seeker

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Baby Blue Sedan

You need to provide him with some appropriate high places. For some cats it's a matter of whatever the covering on it is, if anything at all; for some it could be stability; for some, smell; for some, association (something bad happened on/around it before); location/position can make quite the difference as well. Make sure they're sturdy/secure, in places he likes being -optimum observational position and/or near a window- and stick some of his favourite treats up there.
Once he's good with his appropriate places it may be easier to work towards getting him to stay off the inappropriate places.

I would also work on bonding with him, building that trust so that he can/will interact with you in a positive way - feeding him, giving him treats, playing with him (start with distance toys like a laser, build up closer to just using a wand toy), etc..

I guess you missed this part but: Any time I have ever bought a perch for him, he does not use it aside from scratching. I tried moving it around, I even kept the blinds on our sliding glass doors open all day and night so he could sit in it and see outside. But he still never used it or any of the others we bought. As I said, I have a child on the way. I can't afford to be buying perch after perch (the small ones here run anywhere from $40 to $60) when he simply won't use them.

I feel like you didn't read any of what I posted...He will play with a laser, but when it comes to physical affection he wants nothing to do with it unless it involves food. He tears up most toys that we get for him, so they can't be left out. (He usually manages to find them, anyway)
He gets treats when he behaves, which is not often. I see no point in giving him a treat for existing. MY parents did that and for awhile he EXPECTED to get them throughout the day for no reason at all. He's gone so far as to make eye contact with me WHILE he unplugs my lamps.

Maybe coming to Gaia with this wasn't the best idea. -_-

Your cat is definitely a tree dweller.
Which means he likes to be up.

A mantle, entertainment centers, tops of cabinets - these are all sturdy items.
A lot of really high cat towers are not sturdy. The base may not move but as they get up to the top - it tilts a bit. And your cat may not like that. Which could explain why he never used it.

Something a bit cheaper to allow him to go up without spending tons of money would be wall shelves.
Ikea makes some that are 7$-20$ depending on size - Lack Series. He'd be able to climb upwards and curl into a ball on them, or stretch out on a longer one. Would likely help keep him off a mantle.

You can also try a window perch. It's not too high but if he likes to sit in window sills - this would allow him to lay in one. I think Amazon has them for less than 20$.
Baby Blue Sedan
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Baby Blue Sedan

I guess you missed this part but: Any time I have ever bought a perch for him, he does not use it aside from scratching. I tried moving it around, I even kept the blinds on our sliding glass doors open all day and night so he could sit in it and see outside. But he still never used it or any of the others we bought. As I said, I have a child on the way. I can't afford to be buying perch after perch (the small ones here run anywhere from $40 to $60) when he simply won't use them.

I feel like you didn't read any of what I posted...He will play with a laser, but when it comes to physical affection he wants nothing to do with it unless it involves food. He tears up most toys that we get for him, so they can't be left out. (He usually manages to find them, anyway)
He gets treats when he behaves, which is not often. I see no point in giving him a treat for existing. MY parents did that and for awhile he EXPECTED to get them throughout the day for no reason at all. He's gone so far as to make eye contact with me WHILE he unplugs my lamps.

Again: Make the appropriate perches more appealing - this may mean altering them to a texture he prefers or finding a way to make them more secure. This may mean giving up a couple of your shelves for him instead if you don't want to put in the work to alter his.

As far as treats and toys - toys don't have to be expensive and a lot of times the pricier ones aren't really worth it. Give him a handful of toys. Get him a puzzle or ball feeder (mental stimulation does wonders). Earn his trust and respect. Don't want to give him a treat for no reason, make him earn it - going on an appropriate perch, coming to you when you summon him, not doing this or that - for awhile that is treat-worthy - you can wean him off the treats later on, you don't have to give them every single time, etc..

Trust me, you're going to face a lot of similar challenges with your kid once it becomes mobile - you might as well work on some methods for dealing with such behaviours now because cats and toddlers really aren't that different as far as methods for teaching appropriate vs. inappropriate goes in my experience.
If you don't even want to read my advice, that's your choice. Others around here are going to tell you much of the same as I have though. I've also provided you with a website full of informative articles from a cat behaviourist, so..

Anxious Seeker

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Baby Blue Sedan
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Baby Blue Sedan

Again: Make the appropriate perches more appealing - this may mean altering them to a texture he prefers or finding a way to make them more secure. This may mean giving up a couple of your shelves for him instead if you don't want to put in the work to alter his.

As far as treats and toys - toys don't have to be expensive and a lot of times the pricier ones aren't really worth it. Give him a handful of toys. Get him a puzzle or ball feeder (mental stimulation does wonders). Earn his trust and respect. Don't want to give him a treat for no reason, make him earn it - going on an appropriate perch, coming to you when you summon him, not doing this or that - for awhile that is treat-worthy - you can wean him off the treats later on, you don't have to give them every single time, etc..

Trust me, you're going to face a lot of similar challenges with your kid once it becomes mobile - you might as well work on some methods for dealing with such behaviours now because cats and toddlers really aren't that different as far as methods for teaching appropriate vs. inappropriate goes in my experience.
If you don't even want to read my advice, that's your choice. Others around here are going to tell you much of the same as I have though. I've also provided you with a website full of informative articles from a cat behaviourist, so..

I did read your advice. Thanks for the input.

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Aerobe had some good advice. Cat trees are generally wobbly unless you spend a few hundred dollars on them, like walking on a rope bridge.

Something like this would probably deter him from climbing, be aesthetically pleasing, and save space in your house. If you're a savvy shopper, you could probably get away with doing it for under $30.

My cat likes to sit on top of my snake tanks, it wouldn't be a big deal, but Dovah's tank doesn't have a screen strong enough to hold her weight. I put aluminum foil on it because most cats hate walking on foil. It's deterred her so far. It won't exactly be pretty, but it could be a cheap test to tape somewhat loose foil onto places he likes to go.

I hope you find a working solution, cats can be big butt-heads sometimes.

~ Fly over me Evil Angel ~

Unsealed Spirit

My cat had the same problem but I ridded her of the habit within a few weeks with a simple trick. I got shelves like those above me mentioned but had a twist to it. Cats are mischievous in nature, it's what gives them that old saying "curiosity killed the cat." They'll do anything and everything they're not supposed to unless given a reason not to.

Call my methods inhumane if you wish, but it taught my cat to never get on shelves not meant for her and she loved me unconditionally and vise versa afterwards.

I got shelves designed for her by getting cheep wood from home depot (Ask a manager if they have wood scraps about an hour before closing and most times they'll be willing to give it to you if you say you have an art project). Get paint of your desired color, paint them, and then buy cheap but sturdy hinges. If it wobbles a cat will likely be unwilling to make it a permanent perch. Put NEW toys on it, typically the bigger the better. Cats tend to like to knock stuff down to feel like they're in control of the house and not their masters. In their mind, you are their pet, not the other way around. If you put old toys up they will be uninterested, know your old attempts, and view this as a trick. I sprinkled catnip on the shelves just to make my cat have some added incentive to get on it but that's your own prerogative.

Here's where some might call me inhumane. You can get a bottle of "Pet Away" formula, it might be called something else but some types keep dogs from chewing, cats from peeing, etc... Any of the above will work but I personally chose the "no chew" stuff. Pour that in a spray bottle 1/4 cup to every cup on water and then spray this mixture at the cat when it is on an undesired shelf. To fight a cat you have to be sneaky like a cat. If the cat looks like it's going to jump on a shelf, act as if you're leaving the room but keep a hidden eye on it. This will trick the cat into thinking it will be punished even when you're not watching. When the cat is on a shelf you desire him/her to be on, calmly and slowly approach WITHOUT the bottle in hand, and offer it a treat as a reward. If he flinches to run away, don't chase him with a treat, simply place the treat on the shelf, and walk away.

It'll be an annoying process but after a few days you should see him start to understand the difference between "for cat" and "not for cat" areas. It will take longer, however, to completely break him of the habit.

NOTE: Be sure to say "No" or "Get Down" BEFORE you spray him. This will teach him that these commands will lead to a spray if he does not obey and after a while just the sound of the command will get him down. Without these commands the cat will not understand why he's being sprayed and will be afraid of whoever is doing the spraying irrationally.

Best of luck my love.
Please do not add no chew to water and spray the cat.
No Chew sprays have bitters in them. By spraying even a diluted mixture onto the cat - the cat can then learn to not clean himself properly because this bitter taste will be on his fur. When he goes to clean himself he's getting a mouthful of the awful taste.

If you're going to spray a cat use plain water. Do not add anything to it.
Spraying with water isn't inhumane. Adding something that can cause other problems is bad though.

Unsealed Spirit

I've had three cats and did this with all of them. They turned out just fine.

Spraying a cat with bitters does not hurt him. He won't like the taste of it on his fur but you're not spraying the whole cat with it, it's just one spot. No cat will enjoy it but my cats cleaned it off just fine. The lack of comfort cleaning brings afterwards will be a strong reminder of the incident and will teach him to avoid the situation again. I say add it to the water because cats have a very good memory and they won't go near things that have certain scents or memories to them. Spraying this solution puts that scent on them which they hate, and then traces of the scent will be wherever they were when they got sprayed. This will keep them from returning.

Again, judge me as you will, but my three cats turned into angels later on and they loved me as much as I loved them. I specifically adopt the "wild ones" because no one else will. I give them unconditional love but they also need to know their place or else my house would be absolutely in shreds.
Seems like you need some high spaces. Buy him some shelving and a TALL cat tree to scale. (Not a little dinky one, mine would likely ignore those too.) Also, clean up your mantle :/

You share you house with a cat, that means all the spaces are shared territory. You also need to get some toys and make a point of interacting with your cat every single day.

Aged Girl

From the tone of the original post, I get the idea that the best option for you is to give him up to a no-kill shelter.

The staff will try their best to give him to a home with good owners who want and have time for a cat.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff