Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
OMG! I know right?! i just want to punch people in the face when they tell me to enjoy my dinner when i buy a new fishy. drives me crazy. its like i don't joke about eating your toddler. so joke about eating my baby! GGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so yeah. i just want to scream at them. it isnt funny.

Anxious Seeker

My boyfriend grandma breeds Persians/Himalayans, and she always jokes about them eating my rats. sweatdrop

Invisible Phantom

people use to joke about eating my fish all the time. 3:

Dainty Doll

I get that ALL the time with our rabbit.
I jokingly complain about something he's done, and the response is always "OH I know who'll be in the pot tonight then! Lawl!" or someone'll come into my house and he'll hop up to greet them, and they'll say something like "not much eatin' on this little fella!" or "are you fattening him up for supper?"
Har har. neutral

I'm not actually offended by it, to be honest, but I hear it so often it's just embarrassing when someone thinks they're being funny. It's too obvious and unoriginal to be humorous.
It has upset my daughter a few times though, she's too little to know people are "joking" about eating her bunny. THEN I do get pissy at people over it.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Tute Sweet
I get that ALL the time with our rabbit.
I jokingly complain about something he's done, and the response is always "OH I know who'll be in the pot tonight then! Lawl!" or someone'll come into my house and he'll hop up to greet them, and they'll say something like "not much eatin' on this little fella!" or "are you fattening him up for supper?"
Har har. neutral

I'm not actually offended by it, to be honest, but I hear it so often it's just embarrassing when someone thinks they're being funny. It's too obvious and unoriginal to be humorous.
It has upset my daughter a few times though, she's too little to know people are "joking" about eating her bunny. THEN I do get pissy at people over it.

I threaten Daisy with being made into stew if she eats another cord.....

Her full name has become Daisy Stu. (so we have Daisy Stu, Oreo Cookie, and Puff Ball/ Cream Puff)

I don't joke around children though like you said like your daugher kids don't understand it is a joke.

Most jokes I can handle about my pets, but for me other than eating the rabbits, the snakes eating the rodents, the cat eating the rodents, or my how they WILL kill my spider if they see it....

The last one they are told if they are serious they are never allowed in my house, if you don't like my spider keep your a** down stairs.

Rainbow Survivor

I often make jokes to my friend's three year old son that I'm going to eat him. OMNOMNOM! scream
What I mean is, don't take it too hard. But if it really offends you or creeps you out, just tell your friends that you don't like these kind of jokes.

Anxious Fairy

When I had pet rats everyone joked about exterminating them. My mom has chickens and everyone says that they look tasty. People are jerks and don't understand that those animals are our babies and we love them almost unconditionally.

Shirtless Gawker

10,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
When I had my rats, I always got nasty comments from people about either wanting to eat or kill my babies.
When they actually passed away, I got very little sympathy, and it was really hard.
Misconceptions are hard for some people to let go of, but meet and greets usually turn out better than you'd expect... the second.. and third.. maybe forth time around. rolleyes
My grandmother even started to love my rats, she would ask to see them whenever she came over (so would the two littlest girls of my family).

It's pretty humorous when people freak out when I tell them about my tarantulas, or the roaches I feed them. When I actually show them, some people get squeamish but they have to admit they're pretty cool creatures.

Hell, I've gotten rude comments about my cat from people who don't like cats, and it kinda sucks when something small like your fish dies, and it's "just a fish" so it's alright to laugh about.
People don't understand how disrespectful they can be when they're "just joking".
Nobody has ever joked with me about eating my pets before. Although I did catch a lot of s**t when I had a hamster put down instead of "just [throwing] it outside" or "[smashing] it with a hammer".

My boyfriend thinks it's creepy that I want to keep our turtles shell after she dies, but I don't see what the problem is. It's not like I'm saying I'll kill her for her shell, and I'm fully aware that she could live 30-50 years. I just think it would be cool to keep her shell after she dies naturally. sweatdrop

Chatty Cat

My boyfriends family is Chinese, and we own a dog and two cats. I hear it often, but I wave it off.
They know that if they ever lay a hand on my babies, they won't make it out alive.

Devoted Fairy

11,350 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
Chromosexual
... people make serious jokes about eating my pigeon/turtles.

You aren't supposed to make jokes about eating babies/people, so why is it okay to joke about eating my babies?

When I owned a turtle, my cousin would joke about eating him all the time. It drove me crazy. stare

IRL Noob

Yeah, I'm an insect person... I deal with this stuff all the time, and I can clearly tell people aren't really joking about it at all. It's pretty depressing. emotion_8c

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
My boyfriend and I joke about eating our cat and turning her fur into a nice hat when she's been bad.
We also joke about feeding our fish to the cat.

It's all in good humor though.

I'm sure when we finally get a conure, or a pair+ of rats we'll do the same thing.
We'll fry the bird when it gets annoying, and turn the rats into a nice pair of gloves.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff