Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm questioning if my dog has Cushings disease and would love someone with experience to tell me if her symptons match. But... There are some important notes to add first. (She has a whole list of health problems so be warned for long list)

- She is 17 years old

- I have had her since she was less then a year old but not a puppy. She is a rescue dog with unknown history.

- Sammy , my dog is a mongrel of unknown origin. From her looks I'm guessing some mix might include, Greyhound, Saluki, Collie or Retriever.
1. She is about the size of a border Collie but with brown fur and slightly leaner body type.

- My dog is regulary seeing the vets and is on medication but has not been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease.

- The meds include Vivatonin for her heart murmur. Frusemide because the heart murmur has started causing build up of of water in the lungs. She has been on both for many years.

- More recently she has been on Prednicare and Periactin to encourage eating.
1. Due to loss of appetite and major weight loss as a result.
2. After blood tests it was confirmed as Kidney failure.
3. The appetite and weight loss started just under a year ago and it was in the last three months she was officialy diagnosed with Kidney Failure after having blood tests.
4. Despite the meds her appetite is not back to normal, but it is enabling her to eat enough to sustain her current body weight.

- She is going Blind

- She is going Deaf

- Her eyes can be weepy

- She has experienced a few strokes in the past. Her most recent one was 2/3 months ago when she was kept in for a few days at the vets for an IV.
1. Stress seems to set it off. (The vets REALLY stresses her out)
2. That stroke was bad. Her front paws refused to lay flat and couldn't walk at all for almost a week. (Previous strokes she couldn't walk but the front paws was new)
3. I can count Four serious strokes and possibly 4 or so very small ones you would barely notice at all if not looking. In her lifetime. The first one approx 4/5 years ago.

- Her energy levels have dropped some. Especially after the last stroke.

- Before diagnosed with Kidney failure, she would sometimes be slow on walks.

- In the last few years she had real trouble jumping and going up stairs. (I don't have stairs where I live thanfully) And also no longer tries to get onto the sofa.
1. Even steps prove a challange now and I have to carry her up and down them now just to be safe.

- Her balance is no longer great.

- On walks I have to correct her angle at times.

- Also on walks I've noticed at times she can become a little frantic? Like she is determined to go somewhere.

- Shedding period is getting more extreme. She sheds more and more every year with clumps of fur coming out.
1. Causes some thinning of the fur but no bald spots.

- Her seasons are hard to recognise as she bleeds so little you have to actually examine her to know.

- Little warning for when she needs to toilet.

- Has had a few accidents indoors.

- Had some leakage from her rear end at one point.

- Has old dog fatty lumps.

- Poor gums

- Epulis Tumour (The vet called it something I can't remember) in her mouth. (Benign)
Most recently:

More recently:

- She has moments of agitation. Panting and pacing and unable to relax.

- She does right hand circles in the garden. Obsessed with it.
1. If she can't get outside she'll do it indoors

- Becomes most restless at night but settles again.

- Prefers to turn to the right, even if the left is wide open.

- Her back legs are weak

- When eating Her back legs slowly collapse behind her until she is practically squatting on the floor.
1. She'll frog walk a little until she can get her back legs back up again.
2. They sometimes start dropping during her obessive circling. But not terribly so.

-----------------

^ For the most recent, at the last vet trip ( two days ago) I mentioned those symptoms. The vet gave me a weeks Antibiotics for a suspected Left Ear Infection. He also said arthritis and Seniality were most likely. But they are secondary concerns because they could be age related and her greater health issue lies in her weight loss, eating behaviour and Kidneys.

Of course Iwith Sammy being as old as she is and with major health problems it seems pedantic to want to look at the probably age realted issues. But I like to cover all basis. If she does have Cushing disease and can be medicated for it, it might relieve some of her other problems.
I just want her to be as comfortable as possible in her last few days/months/years.

So if anyone has had a dog with Cushings and recognises a good combination of those symptons could you tell me? I can ask the vet next month when I have to bring her back in.

Oh and before you all think my dog is dying and miserable and too sick to do anything. Here are some positive things to say.

~ She has no vomitting or runny poopy as symptons.

~ She fought back over the stroke and was walking in less then a week.

~ She does not need help to go to the toilet.

~ She can walk.

~ She can run a little even.

~ She is alert

~ She is aware

~ She is comfortable enough in herself.

~ Sleeping fine

~ Likes attention still

~ Sniffing about on walks

~ Enjoys a good treat

~ Is generally still herself, just older and slower.

PHEW!

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
perhaps she is favoring turning right and going right because her left eye is going faster than her right? (that is just what i would guess since she is 17 and you say she is going blind)

for the cushings disease i can't help you with but I did find a site that may help you look at her a bit more, and bring up questions to the vet.

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces