Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, I've come to absolutely love betta fish after receiving one as a gift last year. However, I'd like to expand and try out a sorority tank (obviously, all females). The person who gifted Bacon, my current betta, did teach me how to care for them, like having a properly cycled tank complete with filter and heater as well as proper feeding, etc. So I'm pretty familiar with tank set up, at least.

I'd like to keep the tank size itself small. I'm planning on getting a tank set up next year or in a few years when Bacon passes away. I just want to get some information down ahead of time. I don't want to go super crazy because it's looking like my boyfriend and I will be living in smaller apartments for the next few years, if not more.

I have Bacon in a 10 gallon tank and was hoping to use that size for the sorority tank. Can I do that? Or is that too small to house more than one betta? I know minimum for one fish is 5 gallons, which is why I'm curious about putting more than two in a 10 gallon. If I can use that tank, how many would I be able to keep?

I'm also aware that I'd need a good amount of plants and hiding spots for the girls to live comfortably, but that won't be an issue.
Any other info would be much appreciated.

Rainbow Exhibitionist

9,200 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Clambake 200
I was actually curious about that in the future as well. The females are very pretty on their own, and I'd love to have a tank when I get my own apartment. =]
Good luck finding answers.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
odd numbers... and I think a 10 gallon is good for a sorority tank of 3-5 girls.

but the fish people can correct me if i am wrong smile
dark eclipse
I was actually curious about that in the future as well. The females are very pretty on their own, and I'd love to have a tank when I get my own apartment. =]

Thanks. :] Hope I get some good ones and we can share new knowledge, lol.

Mistress of Rain
odd numbers... and I think a 10 gallon is good for a sorority tank of 3-5 girls.

Good! Hopefully you're not wrong. That would be the perfect amount of fish. I wasn't looking to keep much more than that.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
RubiksChick
dark eclipse

Mistress of Rain

Good! Hopefully you're not wrong. That would be the perfect amount of fish. I wasn't looking to keep much more than that.

I stalk fish threads on here cause I am interested in doing a community tank once i get settled in on a place that looks to be where i'm staying. (Phantom Tetras, and Black Kulhi loaches... perhaps a betta if they can get along with the phantoms...so at least 9 fish...15-20gallon tank) Edit: 20gal + tank for me... brain went dead for a moment whiel adding up things)

but yeah i think the 10gal 3-5 is what i have seen around here.
Mistress of Rain
RubiksChick
dark eclipse

Mistress of Rain

I stalk fish threads on here cause I am interested in doing a community tank once i get settled in on a place that looks to be where i'm staying. (Phantom Tetras, and Black Kulhi loaches... perhaps a betta if they can get along with the phantoms...so at least 9 fish...15-20gallon tank) Edit: 20gal + tank for me... brain went dead for a moment whiel adding up things)

I'm multitasking, currently, and didn't have time to sit and read. I'll remember to look them up later. 3nodding Honestly, I was never much of a pet person, but the person who gifted my betta to me is a friend of my parents that has seen me grow up. She promised I'd love a betta fish and wouldn't leave me alone about it until I agreed. Now I want more, haha, guess she was right. The fact that I'm still pretty much a noob at pet ownership is a large reason why I want to start small.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
RubiksChick
Mistress of Rain
RubiksChick
dark eclipse

Mistress of Rain

I'm multitasking, currently, and didn't have time to sit and read. I'll remember to look them up later. 3nodding Honestly, I was never much of a pet person, but the person who gifted my betta to me is a friend of my parents that has seen me grow up. She promised I'd love a betta fish and wouldn't leave me alone about it until I agreed. Now I want more, haha, guess she was right. The fact that I'm still pretty much a noob at pet ownership is a large reason why I want to start small.

I fell in love with Pictus cat fish... weren't my frist fish but were the frist ones that showed personality to me (dog like),

Good luck with you tank. and Bettas are pretty cool fish. aggressive, but in only certain times, and unlike some beleive there are some fish they can live happily with.
One female is fine by itself.
With two females you'll have the larger kill the smaller.
With three you'll have two go after the one, kill it, then go after each other.

From there, keep odd numbers. 5, 7, 9... You get the picture. ^^;

I'd personally get a 15-20 gallon to start out with. I 10 gallon is a tad small to provide each fish with its own 'space'. Its also harder to decorate and provide plenty of hides, while not looking 'cramped', ya know? Plus larger tanks are much easier to maintain, AND you could fit in a few netrite snails, also known as tiger snails. xD
11 Cardinal 11

I'd personally get a 15-20 gallon to start out with. I 10 gallon is a tad small to provide each fish with its own 'space'. Its also harder to decorate and provide plenty of hides, while not looking 'cramped', ya know? Plus larger tanks are much easier to maintain, AND you could fit in a few netrite snails, also known as tiger snails. xD

Yes, odd numbers for sure.

I might try decorating the 10 gallon, and see how it looks. But I'll definitely consider a 15-20 gallon. I'm mostly concerned with space, but I know my boyfriend and I will probably not be resigning our lease for next year, so maybe I'll be able to make some space in our next place. I know the lady that gifted me Bacon has a few extra tanks and probably wouldn't mind selling me one (or give it to me, since I'm sure she'd be excited to know I'm considering a sorority xD).
Thanks!

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
11 Cardinal 11

This. Also, expect for there to be a a sort of pecking order among the females.

Nerite snails are gorgeous, but you can't keep them with plants. D;
Ammonia Spike
11 Cardinal 11

This. Also, expect for there to be a a sort of pecking order among the females.

Nerite snails are gorgeous, but you can't keep them with plants. D;

Yeah, I didn't think they'd get along like sisters. More like mean girls. xD But that's why I want to make sure I know the amount I can put in so they all have their own space.

Will buying fish that are really close in size help?

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
RubiksChick

Yeah, I didn't think they'd get along like sisters. More like mean girls. xD But that's why I want to make sure I know the amount I can put in so they all have their own space.

Yes, because if you get some that are bigger they can get mean. That or they can decide they are in charge an no one else is allowed to fight.. It really depends on the individual fish.

I'd say go for larger than a 10 if you can, but a 10 COULD work with the right group of girls. I had a roommate who had a 10, but her girls only got along after she "stole" my female who was quite a bit larger and put her in to keep the others in line. No more fighting after that, but then she was a very special fish who lived to a ripe old age ruling over that tank.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
11 Cardinal 11

okay so three is a bad number. got it, and stored. XD
MlizGr
RubiksChick

Yes, because if you get some that are bigger they can get mean. That or they can decide they are in charge an no one else is allowed to fight.. It really depends on the individual fish.

I'd say go for larger than a 10 if you can, but a 10 COULD work with the right group of girls. I had a roommate who had a 10, but her girls only got along after she "stole" my female who was quite a bit larger and put her in to keep the others in line. No more fighting after that, but then she was a very special fish who lived to a ripe old age ruling over that tank.

Okay, I figured same/similar sized fish was a good idea.

I'll look into a bigger tank. I'd much rather shell out a bit more cash for a comfortable living environment than a squished one with bloody, injured fish. I just hope I have the room when my boyfriend and I switch to a new living space. >.< I'll be crushed. I really wanna try out this sorority tank, lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff