Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Hey everyone~
              I have a little crown-tail Betta named Oscar. He's incredibly feisty, but a lovable thing.
              I have had him for a few months now after "rescuing" him from Walmart.
              I also rescued an orange crown-tail I named Elmo.
              Elmo passed because he had ammonia poisoning on his gills, and wouldn't have lived long at Walmart anyway.
              So I made him comfortable in a bowl near Oscar's bowl so they had some sort of stimulation when I was away.
              Ever since Elmo's passing, however, my little Oscar hasn't been eating much.
              He's become depressed, and pretty much stays in his little submarine hideout 24/7.
              He peeks out a little bit when he hears me come home from work, but then goes right back into hiding.
              Should I get another betta to set him up with in a bowl near his, like Elmo's was?
              I just don't know what to do for him.
              When my fiancé and I move into our apartment in a month, I plan on upgrading Oscar to a 10 gallon tank with some cory's and maybe some mystery snails.
              So should I wait until then, or get him company now?
              I'm so lost, and I want my little Oscar to eat again. ): User Image

User ImageUser Image
What size tank is he currently in? Do you have a filter? Do you know your water temperatures? (they are tropical fish) What about your water level numbers?

When it comes to eating, how much is not much. Betta's eat so little to begin with.

Finally as far as company, you can always play with him. Mine all loved swimming back and forth when I was around. I had a few toys like a little plastic gyarados and they would get all manly man fish and dance back and forth in the tank when I brought it out.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Krissim Klaw
What size tank is he currently in? Do you have a filter? Do you know your water temperatures? (they are tropical fish) What about your water level numbers?

When it comes to eating, how much is not much. Betta's eat so little to begin with.

Finally as far as company, you can always play with him. Mine all loved swimming back and forth when I was around. I had a few toys like a little plastic gyarados and they would get all manly man fish and dance back and forth in the tank when I brought it out.

No filter currently as mine broke (it wasn't the best quality to begin with). His tank is 2.5 gallons, and I do a 50% water change twice a week. His temperature ranges from 75-80 usually. I use a water cleaning drop system when I do the 50% water change, and let it sit over night before actually changing it until I get paid again to get a new filter.

He eats maybe every two days, 3 pellets tops.

I might have to try that, though the usual tricks I do to get him excited haven't been working. I usually use a paper clip on the edge of his tank and he chases it, but lately he's so unenthusiastic about anything. It's quite sad. ): User Image

User ImageUser Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces