Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swashbuckling Pirate

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
Please post some advice for aspiring actors here. It would be a great help for those who wish to get started in an acting career. Thanks.

Lonely Genius

remember that when auditioning u can show emotion but not too much or not too little but also don't show the wrong emotion. i've done it a billion times and it cost me lead rolls in musicals. crying stressed i don't pay attention when i do generally.
Instead of thinking of terrible experiences that could occur, try to think of the good things. And if you don't make it, let that help you. I bombed my audition for a play and I chickened out at the singing solo I tried out for as well, but these were years ago and now I look at it as a way of telling me what to look out for. Now I know what to expect, and it's not as scary. Also, it helps to have a friend you feel confident performing in front of, and instead of worrying about what others will think, focus on that one person and it will make you feel better. I aced another solo and another audition, all with remembering negative plus negative always equals positive smile

Intermediate Abductee

Well... It really depends on what type of acting branch.

Musicals, Television, Movies, Theatre (like Broadway).

They all have different rules.

All I can say for sure is remember the Basics. They will save your life.

For instance, I take classes meant to land people on Broadway.

If you're going to be on stage, they like DRAMA. Be dramatic with your voice and movements, move around. It'll keep your audience interested. But don't be too dramatic. Don't flail your body like a crazy mo-fo, but make it good. be LOUD! It'll keep your audience focused on you more.

After all, who wants to see a play and watch people stand quietly in one place the entire time?

1,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
Hi. I'm Ellie,and i've just started acting and I'm going to be in the one act play and it is my first play. I am kind of worried about forgetting my lines or screwing up and what the audience is going to be like.I have come here looking for advice,so please comment back smile

Greedy Hunter

Im_the_guardian_angel
Hi. I'm Ellie,and i've just started acting and I'm going to be in the one act play and it is my first play. I am kind of worried about forgetting my lines or screwing up and what the audience is going to be like.I have come here looking for advice,so please comment back smile

Just ignore the crowd and study the character really well. Even act like them out of nowhere, and it will really help a lot. Also, record yourself reciting lines and play it over and over so that they are etched into your brain. I did this for "I Cain't Say No" for my Oklahoma! audition and now I know the song REALLY well and I think I did pretty good in my audition. That song became a subconscious thing. : )

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
The Real Miss Lacus
Get into the moment. BE your character and when you do that, whatever emotion you show will be the right one because it will be what you (the character) are feeling.

This. Best singular piece of advice to take in.

Salty Codger

Cutie4659

That's actually not the strongest approach to auditioning.

Directors want to see 3 things:
1) If you can act (and sing if it's for a musical)
2) If you take direction
3) If you fit the character

How you approach the material given is all up to you. The important thing is to make a choice and stick with it. If you play a character angry even when the director imagines that character as frustrated, it won't kill you. Own your choices and stand by them. That will show the director that you have a higher level of professionalism and ability. The important thing is to be able to make a change if the director asks for a different reading. Don't get locked into reading the scene one way.

Of course, the biggest lesson to remember is that casting isn't just about ability. You could be the best actor in the room, but the part could go to the second best because he looks better in the role. It's just the way it goes in theater.

Lonely Genius

Ananemain
Cutie4659

That's actually not the strongest approach to auditioning.

Directors want to see 3 things:
1) If you can act (and sing if it's for a musical)
2) If you take direction
3) If you fit the character

How you approach the material given is all up to you. The important thing is to make a choice and stick with it. If you play a character angry even when the director imagines that character as frustrated, it won't kill you. Own your choices and stand by them. That will show the director that you have a higher level of professionalism and ability. The important thing is to be able to make a change if the director asks for a different reading. Don't get locked into reading the scene one way.

Of course, the biggest lesson to remember is that casting isn't just about ability. You could be the best actor in the room, but the part could go to the second best because he looks better in the role. It's just the way it goes in theater.
I wrote that so long ago. and i was giving a little tidbit of advice. it was really late at night when i wrote that so i was lazy and didn't feel the need to go into greater depth. thank you though for your opinion on my 3 am sleep shortage.

Salty Codger

Cutie4659

I felt a differing opinion was necessary, 3am post or not. If you are feeling lazy and tired, perhaps that is not the best time to be giving advice to inexperienced actors. As to how long ago it was posted, it is what it is. This forum is ridiculously slow. >.>

To be honest, I was posting more for the benefit of theater newbies than to respond to you.

Lonely Genius

Ananemain
Cutie4659

sorry i wasn't meaning to be rude or unpleasant and i never said i didn't agree on your advice. but it's true. if you reveal to much of your own timid emotions (if any) they will most likely give you a lower roll or none at all. in my experience. i rather like your advice far more than mine. bravo! sweatdrop biggrin

Salty Codger

Cutie4659

Ah. Huzzah for the internets and misreading! Sorry for getting a little defensive there. It had been a long day. >.>

I see what you mean now. Yes, appearing confident can only help you in an audition. Being relaxed and personable even when you are (maybe literally) shaking in your boots helps you appear professional and easy to work with. A director doesn't want to hire someone who will melt under the smallest criticism. :3 (And that's something I'm still working on: confidence in my ability. Notes can make me feel like I'm not good enough. It's a real pain to change that. Ugh.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff