Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Lover

I'm in no ways a professional writer or anything, I just did this for fun and I think it turned out well. It's very short as I tried to compact it sooooo here's the link http://www.wattpad.com/33060666-contrition
Ok... I am completely lost. Did the narrator kill his parents? Because that's what I got from it.

I wouldn't consider this a story, as nothing really happens. First, the reader gets a cool introduction, then a sudden, vague realization, then a quick ending. I am left wanting more. What's the deal with the narrator? Why did it take 3 years for him to come to the realization? Why did he decide to go to the bridge (and what seems to end in suicide)?

Here's my advice: start with a scene.
You take a situation (for instance, parents' death), then you put it in a place (kitchen). Then, you cram as much detail in this scene as possible (what did their bodies look like? what did the blood look like? what did the cabinets, sink, and stove look like? what is the narrator's initial reaction? did it feel cold? were there any sounds? what were the parents doing right before they died? etc.) The point is to paint a picture, so the reader will believe your story.
After you filled your crazy scene with all this detail, you take out your scissors (figuratively). You remove all the unnecessary details and keep the ones you feel belongs. Not all the good details have to be related to their death. It could be a leftover sandwich in the sink that the narrator ate that morning. The point of this activity is to refrain from boring your reader with too much detail but giving them just enough to believe it.

Remember: this is my response to a portion of your writing. Take from it what you will. Good luck and happy writings! biggrin

Desirable Lover

snowmanlover
Ok... I am completely lost. Did the narrator kill his parents? Because that's what I got from it.

I wouldn't consider this a story, as nothing really happens. First, the reader gets a cool introduction, then a sudden, vague realization, then a quick ending. I am left wanting more. What's the deal with the narrator? Why did it take 3 years for him to come to the realization? Why did he decide to go to the bridge (and what seems to end in suicide)?

Here's my advice: start with a scene.
You take a situation (for instance, parents' death), then you put it in a place (kitchen). Then, you cram as much detail in this scene as possible (what did their bodies look like? what did the blood look like? what did the cabinets, sink, and stove look like? what is the narrator's initial reaction? did it feel cold? were there any sounds? what were the parents doing right before they died? etc.) The point is to paint a picture, so the reader will believe your story.
After you filled your crazy scene with all this detail, you take out your scissors (figuratively). You remove all the unnecessary details and keep the ones you feel belongs. Not all the good details have to be related to their death. It could be a leftover sandwich in the sink that the narrator ate that morning. The point of this activity is to refrain from boring your reader with too much detail but giving them just enough to believe it.

Remember: this is my response to a portion of your writing. Take from it what you will. Good luck and happy writings! biggrin

Thanks, yeah he killed his parents. What would you call it if not a story? Errr... writing? s**t?
I dunno. Perhaps an exercise? a writing sample? Meh?

Distinct Informer

interesting story! nice work, keep it up! smile If you are interested in selling any stories/scripts i'd be more than happy to buy them off you smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff