Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Spirit

2,750 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Informer 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Hai! I'm just coming up with ideas for my story who's main character is a girl. I'll show the story in another topic as well as other sites. If you have any tips, please tell me. smile

This story is about heroes vs. villains. Not a rare topic but the story could be. biggrin

Friendly Regular

8,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Popular Thread 100
One tip is to not make the characters stereotypical. With a topic like that, you need to come up with something new and different.

Fashionable Spirit

2,750 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Informer 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
potaterprincess
One tip is to not make the characters stereotypical. With a topic like that, you need to come up with something new and different.

Ohh yeah, I see. Thanks for the advice. smile

Invisible Browser

On the subject of avoiding stereotypes...

I suggest becoming knowledgable with common tropes. I'm also a sucker for historical (cultural, religious, literature, etc) references - they can be used to subtly foreshadow. So long as it's a classic story (heroes v. villains), consider reading up on the original classics - Greek, German, Celtic, etc plays and epics that established the genre. Who knows, maybe you'll pull some historical references from there.

And just for kicks, a periodic table of storytelling, to get the brain juices flowing.
I just want to mention that it's not a bad idea to use tropes - just make sure to build on them in interesting ways. Cliches are just badly written tropes, but tropes themselves can be some of your best friends in terms of inspiration, mood, and theme.

Read some books in the genre to get a feel for what could work in your story and what wouldn't. It'll also give you a feel for common themes and tropes in those stories and maybe give you inspiration on how you could work them differently.

Other than that, the usual writing advice applies. I usually suggest writing the whole draft through and editing once or twice before showing the story to others for feedback.

If you tell us a little more about the story, perhaps we could warn you of possible plot holes, characterization missteps, and the like but until then I can't really think of much else. Happy writing!
Dont avoid any sterotypes and dont avoid being your self. When they say sterotypes it means dont write like your favorite authors.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff