Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dear Robert,

We have never spoken. Before you received this letter, you’d probably never even heard of me, let alone met me. Maybe, one day that will change. And maybe it won’t. Only time will tell. But as always, time will do so at its own discretion. On its own terms.

Yet, I’m sending you this letter. Because, even without having ever met or spoken, I feel like I know you. A little, at least. Through the tiny bits and small anecdotes your brother cared to share with me. Even if he seems to have developed an unswerving dislike of talking about anything home or family related. It’s only when he’s utterly worn down by my endless wheedling and pestering, that he reluctantly shares some crumbs from his past with me. Leaving me with an idea of what his life must have been like that’s barely more than a collection of snippets.

On the few occasions that he does talk about home, he mainly talks about you. Which is why I'm sending you this letter. And also because, whatever may have happened, I feel you are entitled to know how your brother is fairing.

Please don’t think that he doesn’t miss you. Because he does. Even if that's another thing he would never admit. It just simply shows on his face. And there is also that soft note of hurt on the back of his voice when he talks about you. Like a creeping traitor causing his words to stutter on an unsteady tongue. And now and again fills his eyes with a furtive hint of moisture that betrays sorrows kept veiled for too long. At times like these, he abruptly averts his eyes and goes stubbornly silent for hours in a row. Days even. As if he’d failed to meet some obvious standard and displayed an unforgivable weakness.

It's at times like these that he often turns to his little desk and writes in his copybooks.
One time, I asked him what he was writing. He simply said it was so people would know his side of the story. Should something ever happen to him.

"To let people know why I did what I did," he said.

I clearly sensed that there was no point in asking him any further about it.

Still, even if he’s very reluctant to talk about the past, you’d have to be utterly blind to not understand that something happened back home. Something that made him leave. Whether that was a really bad thing, or just a whim of youth blown out of all proportion by one of life's treacherous twists? I don’t have the first clue.

I know he would be mad as hell if he found out that I was sending you a copy of his first notebook. But then, sometimes we have to do things just because there is no other choice. Whatever the consequences. Making sure that you get his diary feels like one of these things. Anyway, it’s plainly obvious that it’s primarily intended for you.

You have to believe me when I say that I’ve never read what's in his journal. But I do trust that it will provide you the peace of mind every man deserves as to the fate of his brother.

So for now, I hope this letter will find you well.

Con amor,

Valentina

A copy of the diary of Robert’s brother can be found here

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Really hesitant to read things off-site as a general rule. So just a few comments on what you've given us --

Making it clear that Robert's brother (does he have a name) is indeed safe and sound would make sense. I mean, this is first contact in how many months or years? Assuming Robert still cares about his sibling (which I am assuming is true given that Valentina is writing him) this should be addressed.

A little information on how Valentina and Robert's brother met would also be appropriate, as well as some hinting at their relationship. Friends? Lovers? Is she sheltering him or are they friends and partners?

" And now and again fills his eyes with a furtive hint of moisture that betrays sorrows kept veiled for too long."

This seems like a really odd thing to inform his big/little brother of. Assuming we're dealing with western society, admission of tears with men is just not commonly acceptable. It should be, but it would be an odd thing for most letter-writers to mention.

Quote:
I clearly sensed that there was no point in asking him any further about it.

Still, even if he’s very reluctant to talk about the past, you’d have to be utterly blind to not understand that something happened back home. Something that made him leave. Whether that was a really bad thing, or just a whim of youth blown out of all proportion by one of life's treacherous twists? I don’t have the first clue.

If she's read the copybook and is sending it to him ... why is she unclear about what happened? You've said that she hasn't read it, but that seems unlikely, if she's copying it. This needs clarification.
Thanks for the feed-back.

The general idea behind Intersection Diaries is to offer a free ebook in installments. I.e. the story is told in about 10 episodes, where each episode is offered as a free ebook. The story is basically that of a young man running away from home to pursue his dream.

The first of these episodes has been uploaded and can be downloaded for free through the link in the first post.

Then, I tried to imagine an original way to spread the word of the first ebook being available and came up with the idea that the book might be considered as the diary of the main character. The main character meets Valentina on his quest. And Valentina at some point decides to sent copies of the diary to Robert, the main character's brother.

How Valentine and the main character met and what their relationship is becomes clear throughout the story.

That being said, it seems this set-up with letters and a link to the actual book at the bottom is not working very well. It's confusing more than anything else. That will therefore be changed.

The reason for not just posting the ebook as such is that the first episode is over 25,000 words (about a 100 pages) and therefore posting it would burden the forum to much.

Again thank you for the feed-back. Hope you will give the book a read neverthelles and, if so, that you enjoy it.

Kind regards.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces