Welcome to Gaia! ::

For some reason, every November I get about 10,000 words into my original novel and then it just ... dies.

Tradition held true this year; I was 8,256 words into my novel about a sex columnist serial killer and I just can't write it anymore. It's not planned out well enough. I don't know where to go with things. And I'm tired of all of my characters.

So I'm changing directions. I'm going to take the same approach I was taking with some of the sex columnist parts of the novel (which were the easiest to write, shame on me) and writing what I'm going to call an embellished autobiography called On Hooking Up. It's basically an Anthology of Promiscuity. Potential chapters thus far: On Hooking Up with Teammates, On Hooking Up with Friends, On Hooking up with Giants, On Hooking Up with Stoners, On Hooking Up with Strangers, On Hooking Up with Classmates, On Hooking Up with Gingers, On Hooking Up with Cowboys, On Hooking Up with Girls ... You get the jist.

I'm not sure why. It just came to me. And I've already got a lot of it planned out and since I've started it, it's been so much easier to write than my previous novel. I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or not ... but hopefully I'll pull it out.

Am I insane?
Anyone else ever switched novels during NaNo?

Considering how we have to write 50,000 words by the end of the month, I personally think you're insane. XD
If I were you I'd just throw in some other random plotline and keep writing, no matter how little sense it made. That's why I'm writing fantasy; I'm no good at outlining stories beforehand, and this way I can easily just make up crap as I go. You could always go with ninjas.
But, if you really feel more comfortable being an organized writer even for a crazy challenge like this, go for it. That's your decision and I wish you the best of luck. ^_^

Gracious Hunter

Nope, totally not insane. I'm currently writing my blog and my novel, though I have little to no time. I also don't just write some nonsense into it, because even though we have to write an awful lot of words, I still want my story to have at least a bit quality. So, if you're stuck, I think it's a good idea to move on to something else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff