Welcome to Gaia! ::

First time NaNoWriMo here, so I need some advice :3
I wrote a really rough outline for the events in each chapter, etc, and am aiming for about 4,000-6,000 words a chapter (is that reasonable?). However, I usually find it quite difficult to reach that quota. I feel like I run out of things to discuss in each chapter. For example, I have about 2,300 words for the chapter I'm currently working on, and my main event for that chapter has been finished already. Do you guys have any tips on lengthening chapters without adding dull minutiae? Thanks(:
This is totally the opposite of what you're asking advice for, but I like doing short chapters more. Mine are usually around 2k words per chapter, because I'm constantly switching between characters to narrate through. And I have a teensie attention span xD But I think it's more interesting when the writer is really into what they're writing about, rather than trying to draw out something that shouldn't be drawn out.

Like some writers spend so many words describing the frame of an insignificant door or something equally unimportant, and I feel like that's really ridiculous. Maybe if it's symbolic or something, yeah, but like.. Now I'm rambling. ;c
There's roughly 300 words a page, right? So 2500 words for a chapter is a chapter that's roughly 8 pages long. That's a pretty fair chapter length, anyway.

I wrote 2700 words for my first chapter, then wrote some for the next chapter... And then I thought, 'Hm. I think it'd be better stuck onto the last chapter!' and so that's just what I did. And I kept doing that until my first chapter was 3833 words long. 3nodding So you might find that sometimes, you just find tidbits to add on even when you're not trying to~!

One thing I noticed about some books is that they're mostly boring details, that I still love to read about, anyway. I was reading a book and found a whole paragraph - a hundred words or so - devoted to how a gun holder was positioned on a policeman's shoulder and what that must mean. You don't have to avoid useless details. I don't avoid useless details - it's a boring novel thus far, yes, but it's still not all useless.

I don't know what else I can offer you. Good luck~!
Pumpkin the Bird
This is totally the opposite of what you're asking advice for, but I like doing short chapters more. Mine are usually around 2k words per chapter, because I'm constantly switching between characters to narrate through. And I have a teensie attention span xD But I think it's more interesting when the writer is really into what they're writing about, rather than trying to draw out something that shouldn't be drawn out.

Like some writers spend so many words describing the frame of an insignificant door or something equally unimportant, and I feel like that's really ridiculous. Maybe if it's symbolic or something, yeah, but like.. Now I'm rambling. ;c

That actually does help. I hate reading things that have been written just for the sake of being written, and I hate writing that way just as much. But I know I'm prone to getting lazy with chapters, character development, etc, and I know if I simply let myself cut a few thousand words off each chapter, I'd end up with about 20,000 words total. xD;
But I guess it really is quality over quantity. Maybe I'll just add more events, chapters, etc and try to keep from describing every door knob in the room.
Thank you(:
Phonetically Write
There's roughly 300 words a page, right? So 2500 words for a chapter is a chapter that's roughly 8 pages long. That's a pretty fair chapter length, anyway.

I wrote 2700 words for my first chapter, then wrote some for the next chapter... And then I thought, 'Hm. I think it'd be better stuck onto the last chapter!' and so that's just what I did. And I kept doing that until my first chapter was 3833 words long. 3nodding So you might find that sometimes, you just find tidbits to add on even when you're not trying to~!

One thing I noticed about some books is that they're mostly boring details, that I still love to read about, anyway. I was reading a book and found a whole paragraph - a hundred words or so - devoted to how a gun holder was positioned on a policeman's shoulder and what that must mean. You don't have to avoid useless details. I don't avoid useless details - it's a boring novel thus far, yes, but it's still not all useless.

I don't know what else I can offer you. Good luck~!

Another great piece of advice, thank you so much!
I was a bit hesitant to ask for advice but I'm glad I did. I think I'll move on with a new chapter and see where it goes. This is actually inspiring me to keep writing, too. o-o
Thank you(:
ryleexroo
Pumpkin the Bird

That actually does help. I hate reading things that have been written just for the sake of being written, and I hate writing that way just as much. But I know I'm prone to getting lazy with chapters, character development, etc, and I know if I simply let myself cut a few thousand words off each chapter, I'd end up with about 20,000 words total. xD;
But I guess it really is quality over quantity. Maybe I'll just add more events, chapters, etc and try to keep from describing every door knob in the room.
Thank you(:

Definitely. Like what I do when I'm starting to find character development not so fun, I throw in a twist. Even if my moral gauge is like "NO," I write it in because it makes everything more exciting and fresh. I think, as writers, we cannot be limited to writing only what our outlines (or, in my case, general ideas) say we should write. We need to be able to throw in twists even WE didn't consider or even dream of writing at the beginning of our novel. c:

lol extra rant. And like screw what the average is. Revolutionary writers didn't think "Hmm. What about the precedent? I'll just be traditional." They mix things up, they do what THEY want to. x3

Balmvng's Significant Otter

Spoopy Hipster

I have been frequenting this site for good tips and tricks as well as [******** site when I run out of ideas for how to make the plot more interesting or just as a reminder that I don't always have to be nice to my characters. Otherwise I've been frequenting these forums and listening to a pandora station that keeps me focused and motivated.

It is completely up to you when and where to end your chapters. There's not a formula or set way that it has to be and some chapters will be longer or shorter than others.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff