Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sayco's Partner

Dapper Ladykiller

So I attempted to do NaNoWriMo last year but due to having a personal event happen I had to admit defeat and I did not finish my novel last year.

This year due to a my school's theatre production occurring this first week of November I am already behind on word count and I am just getting nervous.

Is there any advice you all have for an inexperienced NaNoWriMo writer?

Versatile Raider

9,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
Having a certain time frame set aside each day just to write helps me a lot. Like, I know every weekday between ___ and ___ I'll have time to write. Then, on the weekends, when I plan out what I want to do so I make sure to set aside time to write. So, I guess consciously setting down time to write is a good thing to do.

Also, try turning off as many distractions as you can. Like, TV and stuff like that. I don't let myself read webcomics or other books during NaNo. Anytime I find myself wanting to do so that, I can say to myself "why aren't you writing your book instead of reading other people's books?"
Sometimes when I can't think of what to write that has to do with my novel. I just take the characters that I am using and start writing them doing something else. Half the time I find that it fills my word count...and some how I am able to fit it into what I am writing.

Fashionable Flatterer

7,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
What helped me write a LOT last year was always having access to something to write (or type) on. I bought a small spiral bound notebook to keep in my purse/backpack and any time I could imagine a scene, or a transition, I would jot it down. (At work, at school, in the restroom, etc.) I would jot down character ideas and thought trees (Like the ones they sometimes have you make for essay drafts) and I think I got to like 20,000 words worth of draft just with my notebook alone. If you have a decent phone there are also apps where you can type notes or even word documents, and send them to your computer later. Good luck this year! 3nodding

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
What helps me is, well, what Atama said. Always having something handy to write on. For me, most of Nano is being written on my phone. I don't get much free time, and my schedule changes daily, so I just write whatever I can whenever I can- waiting for the bus, on the bus, a few minutes of down time here and there at work, chillin at home in between chores. Setting aside square block of writing time doesn't work for me, due to constant interruptions- my family interprets "******** off I'm busy" as "bug Chai as much as you want" gonk Sad part is, I've even made a sign for my bedroom door that literally says, "******** off, I"m busy". Peops still bug me. Put music on/ headphones. Assholes just pound harder stare

Magical Lover

keep a notebook and PEN on you at all times. and when you're on the computer, do word wars with people. I got a little thread just for word wars and sprints! smile

Enduring Phantom

SON OF A B33P
So I attempted to do NaNoWriMo last year but due to having a personal event happen I had to admit defeat and I did not finish my novel last year.

This year due to a my school's theatre production occurring this first week of November I am already behind on word count and I am just getting nervous.

Is there any advice you all have for an inexperienced NaNoWriMo writer?

At this point in time you still only need to write 2k to finish 50k by the end of the year. You likely write more than that just in text messages or in rp threads here. The major thing is DON"T GIVE UP. Take one day to get a little bit of a head start, or if your like me, binge write on days your able to and just never ever give up. I do nearly all of my writing only on Fridays and Saturdays when I'm off work. On those days I am pressing close to 10k each time but it means I only have to worry about it a hand full of days during the month and I don't need to stress. You are more than capable of finishing DON"T GIVE UP!.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff