Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a hard time holding the strings down. I don't know if it's because my hands are too small or if I'm not pressing hard enough. Any advice?

Someone suggested lowering the strings (make it closer together) or changing from steel to nylon. Will that be helpful? I'm a little hesitant to tinker with the strings since I don't want to ruin the guitar.

Cute Bookworm

Understanding how a guitar makes sound might help you.. Link.

Yeah, lowering the action might help as well (Don't set it too low though, or you'll end up with buzzy-buzzy sounds). But really, all you need is practice. Try doing some finger exercises (look 'em up on YouTube).

And about changing to nylon strings? I'm not really sure what kind of guitar you're using, but you should read this.. I'm quoting from another musician's forum.

''Steel-string guitars are different from nylon-string. The strings are under much higher tension on a steel-string guitar, and the playing style is different even though the notes are the same. Putting nylon strings on a steel-string guitar may end up with the guitar neck warping, as it should be internally tensioned to compensate for the pull of the strings. Putting steel strings on a nylon-string guitar is a really bad idea - I've seen guitars break because of this.''

'Hope this helps!
NerdWithAGun

Yeah, lowering the action might help as well (Don't set it too low though, or you'll end up with buzzy-buzzy sounds). But really, all you need is practice. Try doing some finger exercises (look 'em up on YouTube).

And about changing to nylon strings? I'm not really sure what kind of guitar you're using, but you should read this.. I'm quoting from another musician's forum.

''Steel-string guitars are different from nylon-string. The strings are under much higher tension on a steel-string guitar, and the playing style is different even though the notes are the same. Putting nylon strings on a steel-string guitar may end up with the guitar neck warping, as it should be internally tensioned to compensate for the pull of the strings. Putting steel strings on a nylon-string guitar is a really bad idea - I've seen guitars break because of this.''

'Hope this helps!

I'm so glad I asked first. Thanks for the advice. smile

I think I'll bring it into a music store to get the strings lowered. I'm not sure I could do it myself. And I'm definitely not changing the steel to nylon now. In the meantime, I'll practice those exercises.

Cute Bookworm

Dolce Darling
NerdWithAGun

'Hope this helps!

I'm so glad I asked first. Thanks for the advice. smile

I think I'll bring it into a music store to get the strings lowered. I'm not sure I could do it myself. And I'm definitely not changing the steel to nylon now. In the meantime, I'll practice those exercises.
Oh, I'm so happy I was able to help you out! Goodluck in the long road to guitar professionalism heart

Also, try checking this book out. It really helped me a lot. link
NerdWithAGun

Oh, I'm so happy I was able to help you out! Goodluck in the long road to guitar professionalism heart

Also, try checking this book out. It really helped me a lot. link

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out, but I'm going to finish the two Hal Leonard books I already bought. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff