Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
I gots an idea, insteada jus' killin' people on death row, use 'em as food. That way ye can remove that argument point 'bout how humans don't eat humans

They gonna die anyways and they be more useful in this manna'. They be treated jus' like animals fer th' slaughta' and hardly anybody would really care. They gots terrible livin' conditions, th' food tis terrible, and afta' all o' their awful treatment they get killed

Last meal would have an entirely new meanin' fer those on death row
Kaptain K Rool
I gots an idea, insteada jus' killin' people on death row, use 'em as food. That way ye can remove that argument point 'bout how humans don't eat humans

They gonna die anyways and they be more useful in this manna'. They be treated jus' like animals fer th' slaughta' and hardly anybody would really care. They gots terrible livin' conditions, th' food tis terrible, and afta' all o' their awful treatment they get killed

I don't see how the death penalty is ethical. So I am against it. This deals more with other views I have, but I have held this view long before me being vegan.

So I would not say that it is an ethical or moral option.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
VeganAtheistNurse
Kaptain K Rool

I don't see how the death penalty is ethical. So I am against it. This deals more with other views I have, but I have held this view long before me being vegan.

Well life in prison tis expensive. Ye gotta pay ta' keep them people alive. I say we eitha' eat 'em er brin' back coliseums wit' gladiatorial battles. We can have 'em fight fer their freedom. T'would be good entartainment and could be a good source o' revenue ta' use fer maintainin' infrastructure

Also ye neva' responded ta' me earlia' point on page 8 'bout otha' lifeforms and how ye plan on dealin' wit' 'em
Kaptain K Rool
VeganAtheistNurse
Kaptain K Rool

Well life in prison tis expensive. Ye gotta pay ta' keep them people alive. I say we eitha' eat 'em er brin' back coliseums wit' gladiatorial battles. We can have 'em fight fer their freedom. T'would be good entartainment and could be a good source o' revenue ta' use fer maintainin' infrastructure

Also ye neva' responded ta' me earlia' point on page 8 'bout otha' lifeforms and how ye plan on dealin' wit' 'em
I do not see how this address the morality of veganism. Your post is vapid. It speaks nothing about veganism or morality. It is basically you just saying what you think would be good for an irrelevant topic.
I didn't answer it because I had already answered it. Animal sanctuaries. I have no delusions of everyone going vegan over night, so a slow gradual influx of animals into those sanctuaries will be fine. I mean the point was also ridiculous. So just because you can't eat them, means no one will care about them?
Hello! I have a curious question for you,what about plants?They are alive to and taking a animals life is wrong..a plant is alive to and to take its life to eat.Wouldn't it also be wrong for you as well?

Thank you for reading,always have been curious about that and what do some Vegans think on that. Just never had the chance to ask anyone.
Owchy crying
Hello! I have a curious question for you,what about plants?They are alive to and taking a animals life is wrong..a plant is alive to and to take its life to eat.Wouldn't it also be wrong for you as well?

Thank you for reading,always have been curious about that and what do some Vegans think on that. Just never had the chance to ask anyone.

Well if you read my first post you would see that it is not the fact that animals are living things that is of concern to me, but that they are sentient. The goal of veganism is to minimize the suffering one causes. Since we have no evidence to suggest that plants are sentient, we do not act as though they are. We do have evidence to suggest that other animals are sentient, so we act accordingly.
VeganAtheistNurse
Owchy crying

Well if you read my first post you would see that it is not the fact that animals are living things that is of concern to me, but that they are sentient. The goal of veganism is to minimize the suffering one causes. Since we have no evidence to suggest that plants are sentient, we do not act as though they are. We do have evidence to suggest that other animals are sentient, so we act accordingly.

I did, I read througg your first posted. 3nodding That is why I asked on the plants. Thank you so much for answering!
I gots a question if you are still here.

Correct me if I am wrong but you say to harm another (self-described) sentient being is immoral and animals consumed are sentient so it is therefore immoral to cause them the pain of being slaughtered and eaten?

You then go to say that as sentient beings we should strive to better ourselves and one way to do that is to not cause the needless suffering of another sentient being. My question revolves around what is considered immoral and for whom? If other animals are considered sentient as well then would you consider it immoral for a cat to eat a mouse? And if it is not considered immoral then why would humans eating meat (something we are programmed to do) be immoral when a cat or dolphin commits similar acts with it not being immoral for them? I've noticed people tend to act like humans are elevated in some way from other species when in reality we are animals just like cats and dolphins and yet we prescribe to ourselves morality that which other species are exempt.

Sorry if this question was already asked
Immediate symptom
I gots a question if you are still here.

Correct me if I am wrong but you say to harm another (self-described) sentient being is immoral and animals consumed are sentient so it is therefore immoral to cause them the pain of being slaughtered and eaten?

You then go to say that as sentient beings we should strive to better ourselves and one way to do that is to not cause the needless suffering of another sentient being. My question revolves around what is considered immoral and for whom? If other animals are considered sentient as well then would you consider it immoral for a cat to eat a mouse? And if it is not considered immoral then why would humans eating meat (something we are programmed to do) be immoral when a cat or dolphin commits similar acts with it not being immoral for them? I've noticed people tend to act like humans are elevated in some way from other species when in reality we are animals just like cats and dolphins and yet we prescribe to ourselves morality that which other species are exempt.

Sorry if this question was already asked

I say more specifically: To harm another sentient being unnecessarily is immoral. This practice hold to the killing and slaughtering of animals for consumption.

I say as sentient beings that have the ability to contemplate our actions and reason these things, that we should strive to better ourselves.

In the case of the cat eating a mouse: A cat is an obligate carnivore. Obligate carnivores require the consumption of meat. If something cannot be done, in this case a cat not eating meat, then it cannot be a moral ought. Humans on the other hand have no biological requirement to consume meat. Some may say that it is easier to meet our nutritional needs by eating animal products, but the ease of doing something does not justify the action if an available alternative exists.
Humans may have a drive to eat meat, but we also have sexual drives. Some teenage men have incredible sex drives. Does that drive and desire for sex make rape ok? I would say it does not. Desires are also not justifications for the morality of actions.

But we are elevated in one aspect. We are more intelligent. We are able to reason and contemplate the morality of our actions. The justifications that other animals do it, therefore it is ok, is not a good basis for morality. If one did take this approach, one would have to allow rape and cannibalism for starters. Murder is also prevalent in much of the animal kingdom. Does that mean that we should ignore the fact that we have the ability to reason our actions and make informed decisions about them?

I agree that many currently prescribe morality in which other species are exempt from following. That does not mean that they are not able to be of moral concern. Infants are not held accountable for their actions morally because, given our understanding, they don't understand morality, and are not able to reason the morality of their actions. But given this fact, we do not allow for the murdering of babies for consumption.

Also, just because one species is better in a certain aspect compared to another, does not degrade the moral worth they have. When it comes to moral concern, well being is everything. If something can suffer, they take priority over things that cannot suffer.

No need to apologize for the question. It is a common question many people ask me outside of Gaia when they find out I am vegan.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff