Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
hey guys, it just seems to me, recently alot of MMOs don't need you to party at all. In fact, solo-ing becomes preferable. I'm talking a bit old school stuff where you need a team to level, to do quests and such rather than play like a single player game.My question is do you guys know any mmos which set themselves by making partying give a REAL benefit(apart from forced parties, like in dungeons). ? And what do you think of how recent mmos are becomming very solo friendly?

I'll provide examples:

Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn:
-soloing means you level what you want, where you want and how you want
-it is extremely easy to solo and there is no danger.
-only times you would want a team is either in dungeons or world event levelling. both times you pretty much are just with strangers and you do not really help eachother out besides a heal or two from the white mage. its mostly you dps the world event and everyone gets exp. Honestly it barely feels like a party, more so a way to abuse the game's exp distribution so everyone gets exp and not just the pure dps class.

Guild Wars 2:
-more solo friendly than FFARR
-heck, theres actually no real need to party up...ever. when you want to level
-only time party is required is dungeons or big pvp. but for the main game itself? Nope nothing.
-all classes can sustain themselves hard and thus all classes can kill, heal and level.

DOMO:
-needs partying.
-you are either damage dealer, tank, aoe, healer or buffer. alone you cannot face the enemies and get good exp. in fact, alone you will die often. your class is true to the name and thus brings many problems: tanks deal tiny dmg, damage dealers often are very squishy and healers can heal but again, do tiny dmg.
-the game forces you to team up with strangers just to get through the game: you either party up with a healer, thus heal+dps and share exp that way. healer keeps you alive and dps kills crap.
-for the best levelling, you need the whole puller, tank, healer, buffer and aoe.
-this game is not solo friendly. it is leagues more beneficial, more exp, quicker and safer to party and fight.
-ofcourse soloing becomes punishing, with the whole lose exp on death thing.

Golden Raider

Tell me more about domo. emotion_dowant

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
SugarCoatedTesticles
Tell me more about domo. emotion_dowant

its an eastern mmo that was brought over to aeria games for a while.

it plays very similar to FFARR, you are one 'character' who in the game has access to a variety of jobs/classes. unlike other mmos where you pick a class and later evolve, in domo you begin with a basic job and through quests, learn about other jobs. then you can access those jobs and essentially level each of those jobs as much as you want, while swapping skills around.

this means, lets say you become a theif class first. later you might want to change jobs to a healer but then you can still keep your theif skills. in battle you may become a healer that can go invis and run avoid mobs. but you always have the option to swap back to the theif class. this time, with added levels of healer, you can now be a theif that heals.

The job system really does make domo special, something like final fantasy job change swap system. However, domo closed down a few years ago. its a freeking old mmo afterall.
                Partying walks a very fine line between "you need x other people to complete the task, but your party can consist of strangers/friends/casuals" and "you have no chance of ever experiencing endgame content unless you have an amazing leet team."

The first is great and promotes socializing/community within a server. It is good when there's puggable group content.

However the second situation promotes elitism, cliques, "static groups" and the like. It's not fun when you feel like you can't progress in a game because you don't have the "right friends."

Most P2P games (with easily obtainable level caps) are more focused on max level "endgame" content than the leveling experience itself. Solo-friendly lowbie content allows the entry of the game to be approachable, and people can decide if they want to get into raiding etc. once they hit level cap.

- - - -- ---

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
Janish
                Partying walks a very fine line between "you need x other people to complete the task, but your party can consist of strangers/friends/casuals" and "you have no chance of ever experiencing endgame content unless you have an amazing leet team."

The first is great and promotes socializing/community within a server. It is good when there's puggable group content.

However the second situation promotes elitism, cliques, "static groups" and the like. It's not fun when you feel like you can't progress in a game because you don't have the "right friends."

Most P2P games (with easily obtainable level caps) are more focused on max level "endgame" content than the leveling experience itself. Solo-friendly lowbie content allows the entry of the game to be approachable, and people can decide if they want to get into raiding etc. once they hit level cap.

- - - -- ---

I feel that defeats the purpose of the mmo, when the whole 'grinding'(shall we say) aspect of it becomes a single player game.

Let's take GW2 for example. Me and alot of friends did purchase and try it out. It did not take long for us to realise, that alone, we accomplish more and its more efficient than grouping up. It was clear there was no -need- to group up. No need to talk to eachother to play, no need to really interact. I understand there is strong endgame content requiring groups but you do have to grind to get there.
does domo stand for something

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
Angelic Clover
does domo stand for something

Dream of Mirror Online

Greedy Consumer

9,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Trickster gave EXP benefits based on your teammates, but sadly like DOMO that game is gone in North America, and I hear it's closing in other places as well.
On Goal Line Blitz you basically need a good team to win and a bit of luck. You have the option of either passively playing and letting your coaches do most of the work or you could become a coordinator/coach yourself to get more out of the game
http://glb2.warriorgeneral.com/game/signup?ref=414671

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
Sky0814
On Goal Line Blitz you basically need a good team to win and a bit of luck. You have the option of either passively playing and letting your coaches do most of the work or you could become a coordinator/coach yourself to get more out of the game
]http://glb2.warriorgeneral.com/game/signup?ref=414671

fair response, but im looking for something more on the lines of an mmorpg

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas