Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
Minecraft isn't an MMO, it's a game that has a Multiplayer aspect. An MMO is a game that's connected to the internet all the time and to keep playing it you'd need an internet connection consistently. MMO's don't have a choice between single player or multiplayer.

If Minecraft is an MMO then other games that have Multiplayer aspects are as well. Like GTA Online except they aren't. Because MMO's don't have a set amount of how many players can come on at one time. Minecraft and GTA Online both have a cap on how many people can play at any given time.

Diablo 3 is another example of a game that isn't an MMO but it's confused to be one.

Sparkly Shoujo

12,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Reno Takamiya
Minecraft isn't an MMO, it's a game that has a Multiplayer aspect. An MMO is a game that's connected to the internet all the time and to keep playing it you'd need an internet connection consistently. MMO's don't have a choice between single player or multiplayer.

If Minecraft is an MMO then other games that have Multiplayer aspects are as well. Like GTA Online except they aren't. Because MMO's don't have a set amount of how many players can come on at one time. Minecraft and GTA Online both have a cap on how many people can play at any given time.
As far as I'm concerned those games which have multiplayer online are MMO's. The cap is superficial, it only limits how many ppl are on a server, even large scale MMO's have caps, look at World of Warcraft, they limit the number of ppl per server. The servers are online all the time/i], just like with any other MMO, they don't stop being there when you are no longer connected. Just because a game can do more than one thing doesn't mean it is any less either of those things. That's like saying a game can only be an RPG or a shooter it can't be both.

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
B-ch4n
As far as I'm concerned those games which have multiplayer online are MMO's. The cap is superficial, it only limits how many ppl are on a server, even large scale MMO's have caps, look at World of Warcraft, they limit the number of ppl per server. The servers are online all the time/i], just like with any other MMO, they don't stop being there when you are no longer connected. Just because a game can do more than one thing doesn't mean it is any less either of those things. That's like saying a game can only be an RPG or a shooter it can't be both.

The reason it's not an MMO is because it is not massively multiplayer. MMORPGs do have server caps but they are usually somewhere in the hundreds or thousands of players. You don't have 1500 players on a Minecraft server. Therefore it is not massively multiplayer. That's the entire distinction.

Sparkly Shoujo

12,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Reno Takamiya
B-ch4n
As far as I'm concerned those games which have multiplayer online are MMO's. The cap is superficial, it only limits how many ppl are on a server, even large scale MMO's have caps, look at World of Warcraft, they limit the number of ppl per server. The servers are online all the time, just like with any other MMO, they don't stop being there when you are no longer connected. Just because a game can do more than one thing doesn't mean it is any less either of those things. That's like saying a game can only be an RPG or a shooter it can't be both.

The reason it's not an MMO is because it is not massively multiplayer. MMORPGs do have server caps but they are usually somewhere in the hundreds or thousands of players. You don't have 1500 players on a Minecraft server. Therefore it is not massively multiplayer. That's the entire distinction.

That is a totally subjective and superficial distinction, there is no designated cutoff point to even make that distinction. Most servers can support hundreds of users, the internet shows the record being 899 users at once in 2011, since then it's gotten much larger. Here's a link to a list
http://minecraftservers.com/
Reno Takamiya

Diablo 3 is another example of a game that isn't an MMO but it's confused to be one.
There are lots of MMOs that have offline mode, like Diablo and Well of Souls. Some Minecraft servers have 1-5k users. There are lots of indie MMOs with less population. GTA is more like a MOBA but does have some RPG aspects.

There's a mc plug called mcmmo which includes class systems with skill trees and dynamic abilities. Even vanilla mc has quests (village rewards and ender dragon) and equipment tiers.

It's a sandbox game and less RPG focused, but still counts as a MMO definitely.

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
200 ELO
There are lots of MMOs that have offline mode, like Diablo and Well of Souls. Some Minecraft servers have 1-5k users. There are lots of indie MMOs with less population. GTA is more like a MOBA but does have some RPG aspects.

There's a mc plug called mcmmo which includes class systems with skill trees and dynamic abilities. Even vanilla mc has quests (village rewards and ender dragon) and equipment tiers.

This is where you and I disagree. I don't view a game with having an offline mode as an MMO.
I view a game that's consistently connected to the Internet and you need the Internet to keep playing as an MMO.

This also means not having a Single-player, aspect. (Mabinogi, Lucent Heart, Vindictus are all online-only etc.) I also go by what games show and don't show up on MMO only sites. (I don't see Minecraft or Diablo on any of those) Is Call Of Duty, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted 2 and 3 an MMO in your eyes? It isn't in mine.

Some Minecraft servers have 1-5k users but they aren't all in that Minecraft world. So far I've only seen Minecraft being able to hold 8 players on the console version and 10 players on the Pocket Edition. So if were going by limited players then Minecraft should be viewed as a MOBA.

(That's only because I don't know your reasons for why you view GTA Online as a MOBA)

I don't know which Diablo you're talking about, but even people on the Battlenet forums view it as an Online Action RPG not an MMO when it comes to Diablo 3. Though when it comes to MCMMO the other world calls that just an RPG which features stuff pretty much any other RPG has.

Sparkly Shoujo

12,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Reno Takamiya
200 ELO

This is where you and I disagree. I don't view a game with having an offline mode as an MMO.
I view a game that's consistently connected to the Internet and you need the Internet to keep playing as an MMO.

This also means not having a Single-player, aspect. (Mabinogi, Lucent Heart, Vindictus are all online-only etc.) I also go by what games show and don't show up on MMO only sites. (I don't see Minecraft or Diablo on any of those) Is Call Of Duty, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted 2 and 3 an MMO in your eyes? It isn't in mine.

Some Minecraft servers have 1-5k users but they aren't all in that Minecraft world. So far I've only seen Minecraft being able to hold 8 players on the console version and 10 players on the Pocket Edition. So if were going by limited players then Minecraft should be viewed as a MOBA.

(That's only because I don't know your reasons for why you view GTA Online as a MOBA)

I don't know which Diablo you're talking about, but even people on the Battlenet forums view it as an Online Action RPG not an MMO when it comes to Diablo 3. Though when it comes to MCMMO the other world calls that just an RPG which features stuff pretty much any other RPG has.
Minecraft was not originally a console game, it's been franchised like a number of other games. The pocket edition as you call it, is a app game not related to the rest of the Minecraft games, it's fairly new and is a very bad representation of Minecraft. I wouldn't even consider it the same game, it has no multiplayer and has less features than the first version of minecraft. Mine raft is primarily a PC/MAC based game, it's been expanded for the consoles like many other favored titles have.

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
B-ch4n
Minecraft was not originally a console game, it's been franchised like a number of other games. The pocket edition as you call it, is a app game not related to the rest of the Minecraft games, it's fairly new and is a very bad representation of Minecraft. I wouldn't even consider it the same game, it has no multiplayer and has less features than the first version of minecraft. Minecraft is primarily a PC/MAC based game, it's been expanded for the consoles like many other favored titles have.

I know it wasn't originally a console game. I also know that it started out on PC/MAC though people wanted it on consoles and iOS/Android and I know that it's not as massive as it's predecessor. Which is understandable, considering how limited consoles and tablet devices are against PC's. The Xbox 360 Disc can't hold as much as the PS3 Disc and I'm pretty sure it's never going to be up to par with the version that's on PC/Mac.

I bet they could have gone all digital and then pretty much put all the patches/updates but that also depends on a pretty big hard drive which consoles don't have and the amount of time it would take to patch/update everything. So it's pretty much a double edged sword. The Pocket Edition isn't what I call it, it's what the developers called it, when it was first released It actually does have multiplayer but it's only local.

Sparkly Shoujo

12,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Reno Takamiya
B-ch4n
Minecraft was not originally a console game, it's been franchised like a number of other games. The pocket edition as you call it, is a app game not related to the rest of the Minecraft games, it's fairly new and is a very bad representation of Minecraft. I wouldn't even consider it the same game, it has no multiplayer and has less features than the first version of minecraft. Minecraft is primarily a PC/MAC based game, it's been expanded for the consoles like many other favored titles have.

I know it wasn't originally a console game. I also know that it started out on PC/MAC though people wanted it on consoles and iOS/Android and I know that it's not as massive as it's predecessor. Which is understandable, considering how limited consoles and tablet devices are against PC's. The Xbox 360 Disc can't hold as much as the PS3 Disc and I'm pretty sure it's never going to be up to par with the version that's on PC/Mac.

I bet they could have gone all digital and then pretty much put all the patches/updates but that also depends on a pretty big hard drive which consoles don't have and the amount of time it would take to patch/update everything. So it's pretty much a double edged sword. The Pocket Edition isn't what I call it, it's what the developers called it, when it was first released It actually does have multiplayer but it's only local.
I've used it, the app is embarrassment.

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
B-ch4n
I've used it, the app is embarrassment.

I wasn't saying that it wasn't, though it's understandable considering when you take a sandbox game and put it on a console or tablet. Of course it's not going to be like the original unless the electronic it's being ported can handle it which isn't the case for Minecraft.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff