Welcome to Gaia! ::

lilac shoujo's Waifu

Friendly Conversationalist

I have to say, that while I'm extremely excited for this movie...
Every time I see comments like:

"The Hobbit is a sequel to Lord of the Rings"
or
"OMG, this movie is totally a rip off of Lord of the Rings"

It makes me want to punch some faces in.

Please discuss:
-Similar experiences?
-What are you hoping to see in the movie?
-Favorite character(s)?
I actually haven't had many moments where people don't comprehend that either The Hobbit came before Lord of the Rings or that they're from the same author, thus similar.

However, I'm really on the fence about seeing it. I honestly love The Hobbit, but from what I've heard, I'm a bit unsure about how it's going to work. My brother and I were actually discussing this a few days ago.

First off, I don't know exactly how they're able to split it into two movies. I mean, it's really not that long. I certainly don't see it being so long that it can't fit into a two hour, maybe three hour movie. Most movies are now floating around two hours anyways, if not longer.

Next, where are these Lord of the Rings characters coming from? When I first heard the names of who was returning for The Hobbit, I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Now, I know there's not as many coming back, but still, I just don't see how they fit in. Legolas, maybe. They're in Mirkwood, but it would be a cameo at most. Frodo, I don't see at all, as Bilbo was 78 when Frodo was born (so, logically, Frodo doesn't even exist during the Hobbit), unless it's during an introductory, "let me tell you a tale" thing.

Then, Dol Guldur. We just don't see how they're going to be able to pull this off. To both my brother's and my knowledge, there's just not a whole lot of information out there from Tolkien about what happened there, unless there is more information in the History of Middle-earth series. The most we could come up with was a slight flashback from Gandalf (similar to how you learn what happened at Isengard when Frodo wakes in Rivendell).

I'm interested though in seeing Beorn for sure. And the three trolls in the Trollshaws. It's still one of my favorite parts in the book. And the Battle of Five Armies.

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
Haha, that's awful. I haven't heard anyone say those things, but I'm sure once I return to school it'll happen. -___- I like that some of the characters, like Legolas and Frodo, are making cameos. Even if it didn't occur in the book, it's a nice little touch that, if done correctly and briefly, will be a welcoming addition.

Hilarious Raider

11,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
WanderingDreamer
I have to say, that while I'm extremely excited for this movie...
Every time I see comments like:

"The Hobbit is a sequel to Lord of the Rings"
or
"OMG, this movie is totally a rip off of Lord of the Rings"

It makes me want to punch some faces in.

Please discuss:
-Similar experiences?
-What are you hoping to see in the movie?
-Favorite character(s)?

I agree whole-heartily
If some idiot came up to me and said those things, I'd call him an uneducated buffoon and instead of watching things such as LOTR, they should stick to watching Jersey Shore.

Anyways...

My father used to read The Hobbit (And LOTR) to my brother and I when we were very little. And I still remember watching the old cartoon in the living room.

And now, I get to see the live action version, with Watson as Bilbo (Martin) and Sherlock (Benedict) as Smaug, along with a bunch of other actors, how could this movie suck?? IT ALSO HAS DWARVES!!

Witty Hunter

8,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Voter 100
  • Friendly 100
I can't wait!! biggrin I read the Hobbit last year, and it was fantastic. I'm really looking forward to seeing Martin Freeman as Bilbo. He's an awesome actor from what I've seen so far (Sherlock and Hitchhiker's FTW), and let's face it, there's something about him that's just adorable. ^-^

And Benedict Cumberbatch is the voice of Smaug!! My GOD, that man's voice coming from the mouth of a giant fire-breathing dragon? If I get to see that, I will die happy, believe me! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff