Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
HE MADE SO MANY MISTAKES gonk
Sam is brown skinned and never described as being particularly fat.
Hobbit feet are never described as being particularly large, but average sized however somewhat wide and flat as are the feet of anyone that walks barefoot more often than not.
He left out Tom Bombadil.
Boromir was brown haired.
Wargs looked like hyenas rather than wolves, and they never encountered them before that one battle.
Sam didn't go with Frodo into Shelob's lair
Sam was waaaaay too mean to Gollum in the movie, though he was a douche to him the books too.
Saruman was never knows as Saruman of Many Colors in his fabulous rainbow robe in the movies.
He made Pippin screw up too much.
The elves showing up at helms deep

And more... those are just the ones at the top of m head...
people say "oh they didn't have time to do this, they didn't have money to do that."
He added in stuff too! But whatever....
So you actually read the book? Wow.

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
LooKat
So you actually read the book? Wow.

only a million times... In fact I only just got around to seeing the movies less than a year ago
and I read the book for the first time 11 or 12 years ago

Space Seraph

14,300 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Connor the Hobbit
HE MADE SO MANY MISTAKES gonk
Sam is brown skinned and never described as being particularly fat.
Hobbit feet are never described as being particularly large, but average sized however somewhat wide and flat as are the feet of anyone that walks barefoot more often than not.
Wargs looked like hyenas rather than wolves, and they never encountered them before that one battle.
Sam was waaaaay too mean to Gollum in the movie, though he was a douche to him the books too.
Saruman was never knows as Saruman of Many Colors in his fabulous rainbow robe in the movies.

And more... those are just the ones at the top of m head...
people say "oh they didn't have time to do this, they didn't have money to do that."
He added in stuff too! But whatever....

Ooh, and, Frodo and SAm were never supposed to be in Osgiliath!
They weren't in there in the book, but they were in the movie.

Questionable Lunatic

Well, it is no secret any longer my dear boy, that much is true haha I for one dislike several of the decisions Jackson made and didn't make. Sadly not very movies live up to the grandeur of the books they are based upon... I can only hope he attempts to stay true to the Hobbit as best he can

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
They had to leave out Tom Bombadil, he didn’t exactly play a huge roll besides a short stop -off for the hobbits . They couldn’t of included everything or the movie would of been too long.

and what’s wrong with just a little added creativity? The movie was still good and he did his best to keep it as true to the book as he could.
While I agree with many of your points, I'm going to have to say that laving out Tom Bombadil was probably for the best. There's just so much of a tonal difference between those parts and the rest of the books, it would just kind of be weird for him to be there.

I still don't like alot of the changes made in the movies though. especially that Glorfindel was left out and his part (and his horse) were given to Arwen. The most she appeared in was the appendices, and while it would have been nice that they include that love story in there, they shouldn't have gotten rid of Glorfindel to do it.

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Lindaiwe
While I agree with many of your points, I'm going to have to say that laving out Tom Bombadil was probably for the best. There's just so much of a tonal difference between those parts and the rest of the books, it would just kind of be weird for him to be there.

I still don't like alot of the changes made in the movies though. especially that Glorfindel was left out and his part (and his horse) were given to Arwen. The most she appeared in was the appendices, and while it would have been nice that they include that love story in there, they shouldn't have gotten rid of Glorfindel to do it.

glorfindel, that was the other point i was trying to remember!

and i guess i'm the only bombadil lover....
Ooh, no! don't get me wrong! I love Tom Bombadil. It's just that, if you are making a movie of these books, some things have to be cut.Tom's role wasn't as important as other's story wise, and adding him in would make some people go "0.o?" if they hadn't read the books. It's more an accessibility thing really.
on my phone so ill just reply to the point about sam rn:
the only reason sam was fat in the movies is because sean astin was the only hobbit who cared enough for his role to put on extra weight (because ALL hobbits are supposed to be pudgy, not just some.) the rest wore fat suits but sean put on 30 pounds or so in real weight
not sure if anyone else pointed that out but THERE YOU HAVE IT

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Lindaiwe
Ooh, no! don't get me wrong! I love Tom Bombadil. It's just that, if you are making a movie of these books, some things have to be cut.Tom's role wasn't as important as other's story wise, and adding him in would make some people go "0.o?" if they hadn't read the books. It's more an accessibility thing really.

it makes ou go "O.o?" if you do read the books xD that's why i love him haha
and what they could have cut is 1/4 of a few of the battle scenes, and some of the time with gandalf just riding across the plains and what not, n stuff like that
or just made the movies longer, hell the extended editions are like 4 hours each, what would another half hour matter at that point?
Luunna
on my phone so ill just reply to the point about sam rn:
the only reason sam was fat in the movies is because sean astin was the only hobbit who cared enough for his role to put on extra weight (because ALL hobbits are supposed to be pudgy, not just some.) the rest wore fat suits but sean put on 30 pounds or so in real weight
not sure if anyone else pointed that out but THERE YOU HAVE IT
now that i've returned:

Quote:

this
would count as large??? larger then a human's, anyway, and for the movie, they needed that conveyed.
why is this even a big deal, i have the distinct feeling that this is you looking for reasons to be upset

Quote:

had tom been in the movie, he would have been nothing but a huge time-and-money-sink. they would have needed a lot more time to do him any sort of justice (and even then, people would still probably have complained) and he added nothing to the story. i saw half an hour mentioned somewhere about tom, and im just gonna say it would have taken WAY more then half an hour for tom bombadil to be adequately developed and displayed on film without the entire audience hating him - and even then, i have a feeling they would have
the only good thing that he would have added is the scene with the barrow-wights, and even then, you could switch him out with literally any character and it would have had the same effect

Quote:

again, i'm forced to ask:
who ******** c a r e s
i dont remember boromir's hair colour being relevant at all to the story
is there a plot i missed where the fact that boromir has brown hair is integral or are you just nitpicking again
the change was probably visual to keep him from looking too similar to aragorn

Quote:

man why are you getting so up on the visuals in this movie
who cares if the wargs were more hyena-like
i enjoyed their design a lot more then the typical fantasy giant wolf because it actually looked sort of scary as opposed to just being a big dog

Quote:

this
is an issue, why, exactly?
ive noticed that when people decide to rag on the movies, they choose the smallest things to pick at and make them out to be the end of the world
when transferring a story between mediums, things have to be sacrificed in the name of telling a good story.
which is, in the end, what jackson did.
he told a good-a** story.

Quote:

sorry but why SHOULDNT he be mean to gollum
gollum is a s**t and sam knew what he was going to do from the first second he saw him. sam just needed to lay down some dominance

EDIT: ALSO tolkien wrote in a letter that, had gollum not interrupted frodo's claiming of the ring, there would have been two possible outcomes:
1. frodo realizes that he does not, and never will, have the proper ability to fully claim the ring and kills himself in the fires of mount doom
AND 2. a nazgul would have approached mount doom on a fellbeast and coaxed him out with false subservience, wherein sauron would have come out and crushed frodo, then taken the ring for himself
so really even if sam was too mean to gollum and made him crack (which he didnt and would have probably still happened even if sam didnt intervene at all) then it was still for the better
YOUR MOVE

Quote:

you'll notice, if you look at the other film adaptation of saruman, he also does not retain his rainbow robe
thats because if he did, it'd look ******** stupid and nobody would take him seriously as an antagonist

Quote:

oh no pippin had some sort of viable character arch besides what was seen in the novels HOW DREADFUL

also: i saw glorfindel mentioned somewhere
they switched glorfindel for arwen because glorfindel has that five minutes in the books, and then he's never seen or is relevant again. he might have a larger part in, say, the silmarillion, but he is barely relevant to the lord of the rings trilogy, which is what counts.
arwen had some relevance to one of the lead characters, so she took his role in order to be more firmly established then she was in the novels
i see a lot of people complaining about this also but i dont really see why when this is literally all glorfindel does in the books and then hes never seen again

Sparkly Pants

I don't mind the discrepancies too much. I loved both the books and the films, though I'll admit after having read the books when the film discrepancies do come up it did feel a bit jarring for me in parts (where Faramir took Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath for one!).

I find this topic of inconsistencies quite interesting though, some of the initial points I had never even noticed before, or had completely forgotten about!

Greedy Grabber

20,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Luunna
Quote:

oh no pippin had some sort of viable character arch besides what was seen in the novels HOW DREADFUL

Since when does being dumbed down for the sake of comic relief count as a "viable character arc"? neutral
Carrion Kitten
Luunna
Quote:

Since when does being dumbed down for the sake of comic relief count as a "viable character arc"? neutral
since when was he dumbed down for the sake of comic relief
he was already pretty dumb in the books

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas