Welcome to Gaia! ::

okay everyone, i need some serious help on this one. I really want a tattoo about this trilogy because i'm incredibly obsessed with it. my favorite part in the movies is in the two towers when frodo and sam are in osgiliath and sam gives frodo his speech about holding on and not giving up. The line that stands out to me the most in the speech is, "in the end it's only a passing thing- this shadow." However, I'm not sure I want to get a word tattoo. So my next thought is to just get osgiliath tattooed on me, except that just really isn't a plausible idea.

any suggestions?!

fradrian's Significant Otter

Vicious Witch

39,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Rebel Spark 50
Well, I think a LOTR Tattoo is a great idea but a difficult one.. unless you want the one ring XXX letters(and for me that is so used that it lost its charm for a tattoo) or a quote for the book..

I really don't know how to help, but I suppose I'll check all my LOTR books( the ones about the making of the films too) and check all the desing they created for the movies..

The city of Osgiliath would be interesting if you could make a silhouette out of it(but it would be easiest with a city like Minas Tirith or Minas Morgul), maybe they created some coat of arms for ir or for something.

I don't know what more suggest you cause I think a tattoo is something so personal that it really must come from you.
Anyway if you decided to get one, make sure you are 100% sure about it, about the desing and the meaning if has to you smile

I'm going to check somethings about Osgiliath in my books so see if there is any interesting piece of art about it smile

Fashionable Genius

5,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I wouldn't tattoo the ring cause 1. its too mainstream (i sound like a hipster) and 2. it might sound stupid but i wouldnt like sauron's dark magic near me. Ill post you some nice ideas down below C:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Blessed Cutie-Pie

If you really like the quote, I'd say try to commission an artist to do some text-based art for you. There are a lot of typographers out there who can come up with really brilliant ways to fit words together.

You could also use some of Tolkien's runes. I'm not entirely sure about all of them, but some of the dwarvish runes (I'm thinking of the map from The Hobbit) have a near 1 to 1 English letter equivalent. So you could basically just write it in English using the provided runes.

Good luck! I've been contemplating a Tolkien tattoo for a long time, myself, and I know how long it takes to think up an idea that you like!
I have the word 'love' in Elvish on my arm. It's simple and it stands out to those people who know what it means.

Loyal Gatekeeper

Speckled Kangaroos
okay everyone, i need some serious help on this one. I really want a tattoo about this trilogy because i'm incredibly obsessed with it. my favorite part in the movies is in the two towers when frodo and sam are in osgiliath and sam gives frodo his speech about holding on and not giving up. The line that stands out to me the most in the speech is, "in the end it's only a passing thing- this shadow." However, I'm not sure I want to get a word tattoo. So my next thought is to just get osgiliath tattooed on me, except that just really isn't a plausible idea.

any suggestions?!

Back when my friend and I were deciding what LOTR-related tattoo we each wanted,
we tried different images/quotes by drawing them on using washable inks.
We made various stencils so they would look decent
enough that we could get an idea of what they would probably look like if we ever actually did them.
It's a very personal decision...
you may want a quote now but realize you hate the look of writing on wherever you want it.
Same thing with anything else.
Good luck~
I say quote is elvish
as long as its not another "not all those who wander are lost" those are everywhere
yup defs elvish quote, or a leaf of lorien, or the white tree of gondor.
Did you ever get the tattoo? Curious to see what design choice you went with.

11,825 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
You could get "In the end, it's only a passing thing - this shadow" either translated into Elvish, or have the English transcribed into Tengwar. Might look cool.

I know this is a super late response but if you're still active and haven't gotten it yet, I could do that for you :
I think it would be amazing to get this tattoo done, if you have an artist you feel confident could do it well and are interested:

User Image

I myself just got "not all those who wander are lost" along my collarbone (ouch, by the way), and while it seems like a common, cliche choice, I both like the quote, see its deeper meaning...and I like quote tattoos. I'd like to get a Tree of Gondor somewhere, haven't settled on where yet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff