Welcome to Gaia! ::

In the Fellowship, does Gandalf know if he goes into the mines that he will die? I just wanted to know (actually I wanted to use it in an essay! Quick question- does anyone know of any other modern heroes who go on journeys knowing that they are going to die?)

Thanks so much! razz
squeeky_toy_123
In the Fellowship, does Gandalf know if he goes into the mines that he will die? I just wanted to know (actually I wanted to use it in an essay! Quick question- does anyone know of any other modern heroes who go on journeys knowing that they are going to die?)

Thanks so much! razz

Hmm, I don't think so. I'm not sure, though, as I haven't got the book with me right now, so I can't check. But I think he doesn't know what lies ahead.

3,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
No, I don't think he does. It was his idea to get through the mines in the first place.

Eloquent Elder

11,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

He might have suspected what really hide withing the depths of Moria, I don't think he knew he was going to die when he decided to lead the fellowship though the mines.

As for a modern hero, there is Harry Potter. In Deathly Hallows he willing walked into the Forbidden Forest so Voldemort could kill him, think that with his death (Harry) that Voldemort would then be one step closer to being mortal again.

Now that I think of it, he seemed to have doubts and fears for what would lie ahead. It was made clear that the journey through Moria would not be easy or safe one. And I also think that Gandalf might have known that there was a balrog in the caves of Moria.
i don't know... i really think he had an idea. Kinda like foresight. i think he knew something would happen but... maybe not die.

i mean, he was a Maia, he probably knew a balrog was kicking around down there. Use the force, Luke Gandalf!
squeeky_toy_123

Thanks so much! razz

Well, I don't think Gandalf knew.

Heroes who knew they are going to die: Gurgi in Black Cauldron (he goes into the cauldron, knowing it means death). The barbarian heroes in Last Hero by Terry Pratchett (they go on a quest to, well, basically, perform a suicide-bomb attack on the gods. Crazy book. Love it). Dream of the Endless in Sandman: the Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman (when he goes to visit Nuala in faerie, he knows the furies will get him).

Eloquent Streaker

Gandalf did indeed know the Balrog, was in Kazad-dum, which is why he refused to take the Fellowship through Moria until Saurman left them no other option (and even then, only because Frodo made the decision to go through the mines). But no, he didn't know he would die there. Maia or not, he didn't foresee his own death, or at least not on that mountain top where he smote Durin's Bane.

2,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I think he had a feeling but I'm not very sure.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff