Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Phantom

16,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150

I'm looking at buying the skirt or jsk, but am a little nervous spending almost/ more than 100 dollars on a skirt/ dress. To most lolitas it may not seem like much, but my lolita wardrobe is built almost exclusively from thrift store and antique shop finds (with a smattering of diy). I'll be spending more on the SKIRT than I did my prom dress...of all of senior prom actually.

so I want to know, has anyone here bought it? know someone who has it? seen a review of it somewhere?

any feedback on it at all would help me out smile

Kawaii Connoisseur

16,050 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
Fanplusfriend has been known to be hit and miss with quality, usually more miss when it comes to custom sized pieces. They sometimes make okay things but usually miss the mark on some of the designs in terms of detail and the prints/print placement.

On this new Time Lord print, I really personally dislike it. I'm not a huge fan of fandom related things mixed in with lolita. I'm okay with some hints here and there and I guess it can't be stopped at conventions, but otherwise I think the idea of Dr Who lolita is a little tacky. That's just personal bias though and I'm not a huge fan of Dr Who to begin with. The print itself is a more subtle attempt though which may be okay. I feel like for the price of it you could also get a nice taobao lolita design instead.

Beyond my own personal opinions, it's just your own taste on what you want out of a lolita outfit. I think fanplusfriend is fine mostly but they have had sizing issues in the past.
My friend has the JSK, and in terms of being well-made and nicely printed, it's pretty great. The belt is removable (my friend hated it, so she took it off immediately), plus it has real belt loops so you can even replace it with another one. Another great thing is that the shoulder straps actually function and can adjust. The skirt fabric is pretty heavy. You can also buy it with a Tardis rosette for a little bit more, and I think it's a pretty cute accompanying accessory.

In terms of design, while I am not personally a Dr. Who fan, I can say for certain that it is most definitely the most well executed Dr. Who dress design to date. There have been a lot of very tacky attempts and this take is much more classy and subtle.

As for the price, since F+F is cheaper than most places you can get lolita, I'd say it's pretty worth it, and if you're a fan of the show, you won't be disappointed in your purchase.
It is great in concept but I fear that a lot of people will get it just because it is a dr who dress and not really make good outfits with it. Like it isnt ita on its own but because it is unusual you have to be on point.

Unholy Muse

legnanellaf5
It is great in concept but I fear that a lot of people will get it just because it is a dr who dress and not really make good outfits with it. Like it isnt ita on its own but because it is unusual you have to be on point.

I share this worry, I'm not really thrilled with that shiny fabric either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff