Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which one do you value more?

personality 0.72 72.0% [ 18 ]
being smart 0.28 28.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 25 ]
< 1 2 3

Prophet

Do you ONLY date or wish to date smart people? Why or why not?
I personally only like to be with someone who is on my level or higher. Then again I've only been in my current relationship.

Would you date someone average when it comes to being smart? What about below average?
I'd prefer average or above average. I can't tolerate much below.

What do you think of people below average? Not air-headed stupid, just below average. Do you look down on them? Why or why not?
Depends on their level of stupid.

Are you smart? Do you see yourself as smart?
Yes. And yes.

Are there very few smart people out there?
Depends on your definition.
To be honest, I only go for a guy's personality.

Fashionable Hunter

I've dated dumb with a decent personality before. I couldn't handle it. Bothered me to keep explaining s**t and I felt like I had to limit myself to dumber jokes than I usually enjoy listening to. Plus, it felt like everything I said was fine or correct. I ended it as genially as possible.

I kind of want more of a challenge in my significant other. In fact, I want more of a challenge in anyone I call "close."

Timid Lunatic

User Image

No. I value personality above everything else. If someone is genuinely kind and trustworthy, I don't care if they're of "average" intelligence.
Would you date someone average when it comes to being smart? What about below average?
I would, yes. Below average, as well.
What do you think of people below average? Not air-headed stupid, just below average. Do you look down on them? Why or why not?
No, because there are far more redeeming qualities within human beings than intelligence alone. The last person I was with was incredibly smart and prided himself on it, but he was also an a*****e. I'd rather be with someone who's below average but compassionate, than someone who's a genius and uncaring.
Depends on how you define "smart". I know all sorts of facts about all sorts of things, and I'm usually a step ahead in most life situations. My spelling and grammar are top-notch. But ask me to solve a math equation, and you'll get a blank stare.
Again, depends on your definition of "smart". People can be sharp and witty despite a lacking education, or they can be oblivious and have a college degree. That's why I'd never use intelligence as a deciding factor for a relationship.

User Image

Romantic Nerd

15,325 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Magical Girl 50
When it comes to dating I look for guys who not only have similar interest but also someone I can have a nice conversation with as well. I'm attracted to guy who were glasses or someone who is very poetic and who likes anime & manga too.

Invisible Humorist

haha you all would hate me

i joke around too much

@OP: i don't know but i don't think anyone would talk to the village idiot or something...unless you're Forrest

Golden Gekko

I only date intelligent people. What I mean by that are people who have interest in understanding things and put thought into their lives and opinions. I'm not interested in someone who could care less about why things are the way they are and just sits around doing nothing. Do they have to be smart at all subjects, no.

I would be open minded to dating anyone regardless of their smartness as long as they had a great personality.

No. I'm not a pompous a*****e.

I believe so. I do well in school. Am passionate about learning every day. And do my own research on subjects I'm interested in.

I disagree. I think there are a lot of intelligent people out there that know a lot about their passions. Do they all know Calculus? No.

My major issue with this survey is what is your definition of being smart?

Super Fairy

11,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
Ugh I'd dread being around someone who is fun but constantly being stupid.
But then again I'd hate being around a smart person who does not have a sense of humor.

Of course I wish to date a smart person. I don't mean they need to be super smart and be like a doctor or professor (that'd just be a plus.) I mean smart as in they're realistic, have common sense, and ambition for whatever passion they chose to pursue.

Being smart doesn't mean no personality, nor vice versa. OP's question generalizes too much.

Also I'm sure most people won't date solely on the basis of smart/personality. There's so many other factors such as similar interests and whatnot.

Hygienic Sex Symbol

7,100 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Before I'd done a lot of dating, I would've said that a person doesn't necessarily have to be as smart as me for me to like them and date them. But after trying dates with a lot of people... A PERSONAL criteria for me is that the person be at least as intelligent or educated as I am. It's not because someone "below" that isn't good enough for me. It's because I really value and prioritize intelligence - not just natural intelligence, but being cultured and thinking critically, things like that. They need to be able to engage me in conversation and keep me on my toes sometimes. I also like it when people can tell me something I don't know. I like learning from other people. I couldn't be with someone that never taught me anything, or that never challenged me in some way (esp. intellectually).
That being said, I am friends with people of all levels of "smartness." (The criteria for who I date is much higher than the criteria for who I befriend.) And I don't look down on people if I think they're not as intelligent as me. The only type of stupidity I can't tolerate is willed ignorance, hate, carelessness with others, or anything of that nature. But as far as "intelligence" goes? Good personality, attitude, and the like are enough to compensate for under average intelligence.

Dangerous Seeker

5,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm married to a smart man so good for me not tryin so hard to be perfect lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers