Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Post a pic so we can decide.

Well the first thing is are you healthy. If you're healthy, and comfortable with yourself they have no right to be telling you you're fat. The parents have several obligations, and here they to raise their child;

Spiritually
Emotionally
Mentally
Physically
Socially

Sometimes they screw up a little, but for the most part they mean the best.

I don't really concern myself with my weight, as I'm comfortable and good looking. *preens* Ok, that was totally over the top but anyways...

If you don't have any health problems, are happy and content with your body then you should try talking to them, and explain how it makes you feel. Or you could talk to your doctor and ask if they think you really need to lose weight--if they don't, then tell you parents that the doctor says you are fine. If the doctor thinks you do, then don't jump into a diet--all my female friends did and it made them miserable. Instead find activities that you enjoy and stop eating when you're full--you don't have to be Paris Hilton thin for guys to find you attractive. Really, if the guy is repulsed by looks alone then he really isn't worth knowing.

But overall, the most important thing is this--

Communicate with your parents, and make sure they know that it hurts you when they speak to you like that, and be happy--even if you are thin, it doesn't make you happy.
being assholes or not, your parents are just trying to look out for you and they don't want to see you upset when your older... the older you get the harder it will be to lose the weight.
Well for your height you are pretty heavy I have to say, I mean Im about 145 and taller than you so 175 at 5,4 might be a bit risky 3nodding
and sorry to say but unless you're a body builder, even if that truly were all muscle on you itd still be pretty unhealthy, I know muscle weighs more then fat but....i mean seriously, my 5'7 bodybuilder friend is only 160
I kind of have the same issue, But opposite and minus the parent part.
I am 5'3 and only 95 pounds, Ive tried to gain weight but i am unable to.
No matter what I do.

Anyways, I would ignore them. If you are happy with the way you are then so be it. Don't let them harass you because you dont deserve it.
parents like that prolly want the best for you but that's a bad way to go about it

little_sailor_jd's Significant Otter

ChandaPanda123
My mom does the same thing your dad does, it feels really awful.

To be honest, 175 is overweight for your height. Not over-fat, which is what you would actually have to worry about, but if you're mostly muscle, then it's not really an issue. Tell your parents to shut up, because they're making you feel bad, and if your doctor hasn't mentioned any potential health issues because of your weight, then it's not something they should even mention, because it's not their business.

If shes got muscle it really isn't- muscle weighs more than fat.

Yeosol, gender makes a difference. Girls tend to weigh more- we have larger chests and hips to account for. Her nationality, genetics etc also make a difference.
The next time they start in on you, ask them point-blank why your weight is such a major concern for them, or even any of their business at all. When they splutter lame excuses, refute them. Then, laugh in their faces, take a huge bite of sandwich, say "MMMM!" and leave the room.

Enough repetitions of that and they'll get the hint. domokun
Shamera
Ignore them. Your parents are being stupid. neutral

My family does strange things. They keep telling me I'm fat as well, but the moment I start losing weight they push for me to eat more. I'm 5'6 and 125lbs.... and I really, really have a hard time losing weight when I'm not allowed to miss meals with my family and I keep getting food piled on my plate as well as not allowed to leave unless I've eaten at least two bowls of rice.
Fortunately, 125 at 5'6 is not fat.
User Image

I this at this website.

5 feet 4 inches
Underweight- - Under 108 pounds
Healthy Weight - 108 to 145 pounds
Over Weight - Over 145 pounds
Obese - Over 174 pounds

Underweight
People of your height typically weigh more. Adding weight through exercise and healthy eating may be good for you.

Healthy Weight
You're in a healthy weight range for your height. You're lowering the risk of heart disease and diabetes that comes with too much weight.

Overweight
Your weight is higher than it should be for good health. You are more likely to suffer from diabetes and to die from heart disease. You can reduce the risk of serious disease by lowering your weight through diet and a more active lifestyle.

Obese
Your health is at risk. Excess weight directly contributes to serious lifetime illness and early death. Your doctor or local health clinic can help you find ways to lose weight and stay healthy.

I dunno, hon...175 does sound like a bit much...I'm an inch shorter and at 135lbs, significantly lighter, and have been told by my doctor I should weigh no more than 150lbs. I am muscular and have a thick frame. But that's just my take. I have not seen you, so all I can judge by is the height and weight stats you posted here. My recomendation to you is to have your dad accompany you to your doctor, and the doctor can tell you if you're healthy or not. If you're healthy and your dad is there to witness, he should leave you alone.

Dapper Genius

I think the reason is that your parents seem to want something to boast about... not trying to do so on purpose.. but subconciously. Don't let others say get to you, even if they are your family.
I'm 5'3" and 96 pounds. You're not overweight if it's mostly muscle, but if it was mostly fat, then you are. Don't worry, parents are always like that... just screw what they say!
My personal baseless crackpot theory is that as sex becomes more and more socially acceptable to engage in and enjoy guilt-free, people are latching onto food and fat as a tool to berate people (especially women), for enjoying normal biological functions. Any pretense that your parents might have of just being concerned about your health is completely blown away by their "goal weight" for you- that's on the LOW end of the official "healthy weight" range. I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs, and I have very little fat and ridiculously little muscle mass- that's a terrible goal for a muscular person.
(By the way, the correlation between weight and health is pretty much accounted for by two things: One, that not getting enough exercise causes a lot of problems and many people who don't exercise much become fat as a result, so the "overweight" sample contains more sedentary people than the so-called "healthy weight" catagory. Two, that people who are "overweight" are usually pressured into dieting, which usually results in weight loss followed by weight gain, and doing that over and over is TERRIBLE for your health. People who get plenty of exercise and stay at a stable weight are all about equally healthy no matter what BMI they happen to have. I can't look up the studies right now because I'm at work but they're out there.)

As an antidote to your parents' ravings, I suggest seeking out and reading a lot of feminist analysis of body image.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff