Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Hunter

and isn't the point of therapy to normalize the things that cause trauma when they originally weren't traumatic objects?

like me and clothes hangars.

it's not a "trigger" because i got over it. now it's just a memory.
it's all bullshit

Lupine Labtech

Some things can be 'triggering' to others. It just can't be helped. Certain things can cause panic or make the person extremely upset.
Unfortunately, traumatic experiences don't just suddenly quit being traumatic over night. The pain doesn't leave all at once, but rather, it's fought off bit by bit. Some people get over their aches sooner than others. Some people's aches are something they struggle with for the remainder of their life. Regardless of how long those traumas haunt them, I'm not so certain I'd want to be the one willfully making another's pain worse.

Demonic Ally

>clothes hangars

that sounds like an interesting story

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
The trigger usually actuates the firing mechanism. Typically involves pins and springs.

Devoted Pirate

kakteed
and isn't the point of therapy to normalize the things that cause trauma when they originally weren't traumatic objects?

like me and clothes hangars.

it's not a "trigger" because i got over it. now it's just a memory.
That is the point of therapy yes. To make your triggers non-triggers. But not errybody has access to therapy, and then if they do have access its not like a trigger becomes a non-trigger overnight.

I do think people are getting out of hand with #triggers. People need to be responsible for their own mental health and understand that leaving a page, turning of the computer, or walking away from the conversation is an appropriate answer to their triggering A LOT of the time. I see a lot of people foisting that responsibility onto others, and frankly, it bothers me.

A big verbal trigger for me is if we start talking about veins or blood, or anatomy. It makes my skin crawly. I leave the conversation at that point. I feel icky, this is a topic I just can't even, so I exit because I am adult responsible for my own mental health. This doesn't happen with non-verbally. Like I can read about anatomy, look at pictures. But if I hear it, just ew.

Fashionable Hunter

Brain Weasels
>clothes hangars

Mmhm. I, like much of the internet, have a sob story.

Whoop-di-dee.

Generous Poster

a pretty ignorant topic

you're also assuming everyone has access to therapy
It used to be where people had traumatic experiences, and something (the trigger) ends up throwing them into the memory of their experience, essentially reliving it, and being unable to cope with the event and reality.

Now it's just used to describe things that people don't like.

Borg

Trigger is Roy Roger's horse, aka the "Smartest Horse in the World":

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Demonic Ally

kakteed
Brain Weasels
>clothes hangars

Mmhm. I, like much of the internet, have a sob story.

Whoop-di-dee.
but yours has clothes hangars
i dont have a sob story
my life is ******** perf

Bashful Businesswoman

I can understand triggers of rape and abuse. I mean, there's some things I litterallly can't watch/read because of certain abusive elements in them. But anything else, I have a hard time taking seriously.
Sermanther
A way to make victims feel like fragile dolls.

don't you have a ba in psychology

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces