Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lady_Elentari
BIJINKEI

Yes. My boyfriend designs eyewear for this huge eyewear company and he designs the shape, texture, everything that is considered aesthetics, he does. He is able to test the feel of the product by 3D printing it and once all the concepts and prototypes have been tested then it goes into production.

A website is something that a Web designer or Graphic Designer would design. User Experience is linked to Industrial Design, but it's definitely not part of the job, meaning someone else who specializes in User Experience Design will focus in that.

Nowadays you have to be the whole package so I've learned to do not just Industrial Design, but coding (web design) and user experience design. I think my university really excels in that sense but it's very exhausting sweatdrop , just like any other field.

You do coding too? o_O

How do you decide what materials to use in the product? Do you need to design the assembly process as well? Do you need to research target demographics (e.g. figure out the average head size of your clientele to make sure the glasses fit) and do usability studies?
Yeah, it's not as complicated as it looks even though at first I wanted to cry, haha.

Materials will depend on the product. You could decide on using plastic, but there are all sorts of plastic (polyvinyl, polyethylene,polyvinyl chloride, list goes on). You do need to have a good understanding of the consumer that you're targeting. I did a project last semester and designed a potato peeler for people with Osteoarthritis. But in order to develop the design of the peeler I had to pay attention to the hand and joints of someone with Osteoarthritis, that is when usability studies come in as well as studying and understanding ergonomics. It's very detailed oriented, hehe. I think for the eyewear design he does though, the company already provides the designers with the sizes since they probably have a database with all the information regarding sizes and what now. That's a good question actually, now I'm curious too, haha.

Aged Lunatic

Quote:
Where do you work/What do you do?

Work at a gun store. I alternate between fixing hunting rifles and handguns, working the counter, and general upkeep of the joint.

Quote:
Do you like your job?

Yea, it's pretty good on some levels, though it ain't gonna make me rich. Things could be a lot worse.

Quote:
What is your dream job?

Would like to paint miniatures and make wargame terrain professionally for a living. Writing for pay about cinema would be an even contender for that tile.

Wheezing Bunny

Lady_Elentari

Sounds annoying xD Better than talking to angry demanding that you fix their problem right now tho o 3o

Oh gods . lol . I hate jobs like those, that's why I stopped applying for customer
service jobs . I can't stand being yelled at for something that isn't my fault and expected
to smile for it . >.>

Original Gaian

BIJINKEI
Lady_Elentari
BIJINKEI

Yes. My boyfriend designs eyewear for this huge eyewear company and he designs the shape, texture, everything that is considered aesthetics, he does. He is able to test the feel of the product by 3D printing it and once all the concepts and prototypes have been tested then it goes into production.

A website is something that a Web designer or Graphic Designer would design. User Experience is linked to Industrial Design, but it's definitely not part of the job, meaning someone else who specializes in User Experience Design will focus in that.

Nowadays you have to be the whole package so I've learned to do not just Industrial Design, but coding (web design) and user experience design. I think my university really excels in that sense but it's very exhausting sweatdrop , just like any other field.

You do coding too? o_O

How do you decide what materials to use in the product? Do you need to design the assembly process as well? Do you need to research target demographics (e.g. figure out the average head size of your clientele to make sure the glasses fit) and do usability studies?
Yeah, it's not as complicated as it looks even though at first I wanted to cry, haha.

Materials will depend on the product. You could decide on using plastic, but there are all sorts of plastic (polyvinyl, polyethylene,polyvinyl chloride, list goes on). You do need to have a good understanding of the consumer that you're targeting. I did a project last semester and designed a potato peeler for people with Osteoarthritis. But in order to develop the design of the peeler I had to pay attention to the hand and joints of someone with Osteoarthritis, that is when usability studies come in as well as studying and understanding ergonomics. It's very detailed oriented, hehe. I think for the eyewear design he does the, company already provides them with the sizes since they probably have a database with all the information regarding sizes and what now. That's a good question actually, now I'm curious too, haha.

Ja, coding isn't that difficult. Always amazed that people seem to think it's such a big deal...it's just a handful of English words and some symbols, not even a different language...xD

Do you do a lot of experiments/recruit people for observation to study their movements/interview them for concerns? Do you also need to keep up with the latest trends/patterns/fashions/what your competitors are doing?

Original Gaian

Coffee Before Talkie
Lady_Elentari

Sounds annoying xD Better than talking to angry demanding that you fix their problem right now tho o 3o

Oh gods . lol . I hate jobs like those, that's why I stopped applying for customer
service jobs . I can't stand being yelled at for something that isn't my fault and expected
to smile for it . >.>

Ja, not sure how the people do it...and for not a lotta pay either...
Lady_Elentari
BIJINKEI
Lady_Elentari
BIJINKEI

You do coding too? o_O

Materials will depend on the product. You could decide on using plastic, but there are all sorts of plastic (polyvinyl, polyethylene,polyvinyl chloride, list goes on). You do need to have a good understanding of the consumer that you're targeting. I did a project last semester and designed a potato peeler for people with Osteoarthritis. But in order to develop the design of the peeler I had to pay attention to the hand and joints of someone with Osteoarthritis, that is when usability studies come in as well as studying and understanding ergonomics. It's very detailed oriented, hehe. I think for the eyewear design he does the, company already provides them with the sizes since they probably have a database with all the information regarding sizes and what now. That's a good question actually, now I'm curious too, haha.

Ja, coding isn't that difficult. Always amazed that people seem to think it's such a big deal...it's just a handful of English words and some symbols, not even a different language...xD

Do you do a lot of experiments/recruit people for observation to study their movements/interview them for concerns? Do you also need to keep up with the latest trends/patterns/fashions/what your competitors are doing?
I agree with you, it's a headache at first but it's a matter of getting used to.

Because I am a student, I am responsible for finding stakeholders, volunteers, just people who generally fit what I'm looking for and testing. Depending on the project though, the school will provide us with the people. When I designer the peeler for Osteoarthritis, I worked with people from a hospital close to my university who had osteoarthritis and that is how I was able to design and test my project. When you work for a company it's easier to do since you aren't doing it alone, but most of the time the company will have it's ways to look for people and there's always volunteers to test products. (Example, Google Glass).

You have to follow trends, that's for sure. Eyewear design falls into Fashion Design but ultimately it's a product, so he is always keeping up with what trends are out there.
I am a server technician at a web hosting company. I pretty much do everything here; I repair servers, fix bad coding, put machines together, etc... I started seven months ago and am making $15 an hour with full insurance benefits. (If I had to get my appendix removed tomorrow, it would cost me absolutely nothing.) Also, free food at work, lots of paid time off, etc... The pay is low for web hosting, but there is a lot of room for upward movement and raises.

My dream job used to be something along the lines of a social worker, but I really enjoy being an admin. Right now, my dream is to get promoted and move to either the mentoring department (they help train and mentor new employees) or the security department which deals with malware, server compromises, hacking, etc, etc... I'd like to get a few of the Red Hat certificates as well.

Original Gaian

BIJINKEI
I agree with you, it's a headache at first but it's a matter of getting used to.

Because I am a student, I am responsible for finding stakeholders, volunteers, just people who generally fit what I'm looking for and testing. Depending on the project though, the school will provide us with the people. When I designer the peeler for Osteoarthritis, I worked with people from a hospital close to my university who had osteoarthritis and that is how I was able to design and test my project. When you work for a company it's easier to do since you aren't doing it alone, but most of the time the company will have it's ways to look for people and there's always volunteers to test products. (Example, Google Glass).

You have to follow trends, that's for sure. Eyewear design falls into Fashion Design but ultimately it's a product, so he is always keeping up with what trends are out there.

Any idea of what kinda products you want to design after graduation? Or more education?

Original Gaian

Namekuji no Baka
I am a server technician at a web hosting company. I pretty much do everything here; I repair servers, fix bad coding, put machines together, etc... I started seven months ago and am making $15 an hour with full insurance benefits. (If I had to get my appendix removed tomorrow, it would cost me absolutely nothing.) Also, free food at work, lots of paid time off, etc... The pay is low for web hosting, but there is a lot of room for upward movement and raises.

My dream job used to be something along the lines of a social worker, but I really enjoy being an admin. Right now, my dream is to get promoted and move to either the mentoring department (they help train and mentor new employees) or the security department which deals with malware, server compromises, hacking, etc, etc... I'd like to get a few of the Red Hat certificates as well.

Do you do a lot of server/db configs/maintanence? What systems do you operate? Any particular interesting/stupid/exciting stories you've come across as a technician?
Zombie Conspiracy

I work at an airport as a aircraft operations coordinator

Do you like your job?
I enjoy my job very much been only doing it for a while

What is your dream job?

I'm wanting to get to work my way up to station management for an airline really do love working for the airline industry

Dapper Swapper

I am the designer/creator of my brand Armored Girl
Do you like your job? It's okay. I make minimum wage, but my passion has never been to sell to others, I'm more of the "idea man". It's tough work, a lot of hours for little pay, but I know to get where I'm going, I have to work my way up.
What is your dream job? Hopefully I can do Armored Girl on a more industrial scale so that I do not have to hand make EVERYTHING and I can just sit back to do all of the designing (which is my joy.) I'd also like my novel to be turned into a television show.
Lady_Elentari
BIJINKEI

Any idea of what kinda products you want to design after graduation? Or more education?
I like Toy Design, that's my goal. I also like design for women. Theres a design firm in NY that focuses on designing for women without making products overly feminine. I like how they are trying to break that gap between male and female products so that's certainly something I'll aim for too. mrgreen
Lady_Elentari
Namekuji no Baka

Do you do a lot of server/db configs/maintanence? What systems do you operate? Any particular interesting/stupid/exciting stories you've come across as a technician?

I do a lot of server configuration. Mostly Apache optimizations, MySQL opts, etc... I do a lot of MySQL database repair, a lot of importing/exporting of databases, etc... Generally when I'm working with databases, they are broken and I am fixing them, or a customer is migrating the databases and requires assistance with getting them moved from point A to point B.

As far as systems go, we have a Windows department, and a Linux department. I am personally a Linux tech. Most of our servers operate on CentOS version 6.5, so that is what I am most familiar with. I can also operate well within CloudLinux, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, and mostly RedHat distros since they share similar traits.

As far as stories go, I am about to head home from work, but will see if I can dig something up shortly. There are A LOT in the seven months I've been here.

Original Gaian

Divine Moment of Truth

I am the designer/creator of my brand Armored Girl
Do you like your job? It's okay. I make minimum wage, but my passion has never been to sell to others, I'm more of the "idea man". It's tough work, a lot of hours for little pay, but I know to get where I'm going, I have to work my way up.
What is your dream job? Hopefully I can do Armored Girl on a more industrial scale so that I do not have to hand make EVERYTHING and I can just sit back to do all of the designing (which is my joy.) I'd also like my novel to be turned into a television show.

Which industry -- clothing?
Lady_Elentari
Namekuji no Baka

Here is a story I'm copy/pasting from another forum where I shared it.

At my company, when customers sign up with a server, there are multiple levels of management that are explained to the customer rather explicitly. You can either be fully managed, (we will manage the entire LAMP stack, cPanel, basic installations such as a core Wordpress installation) core managed (we support the network connectivity to the box, the LAMP stack, the OS, but not any other software such as Wordpress or cPanel.) and unmanaged. (we put them on one of our servers, make sure it has connectivity and that the hardware is maintained, and we will boot it up with an operating system if it is something we support. Everything else is on them.)

Obviously there is much more to these three levels than that but you get the basic point. If you are completely unmanaged, we will NOT help the customer with anything other than making sure the hardware is fine and that there is proper connectivity, and if there are any kernal issues, we will take a look as well.

This customer calls me who I end up dealing with three days in a row. She is on an UNmanaged server and has a laundry list of task she expects me to complete. First, she wants me to help her configure Apache 2, MySQL and PHP on her server. Basically, she wants me to install the AMP in the LAMP stack for her and get it configured for her, while we barely support the L for unmanaged as it is. I explain this to her, and she has an absolute ******** melt down. She goes on about how my company is trying to make excuses and throw the blame around so we don't have to put the effort into assisting her.

After screaming at me for an hour, she finally hangs up on me. I then see that she has opened a ticket and requested she specifically have "Tony who helped me earlier," work on her ticket. So she was infuriated with me, yelled at me, hung up on me, and now she wants to have me specifically assist her. What the ********? Okay, I pick up the ticket and she starts screaming (I translate all CAPS AS SCREAMING!!) at me to please help get her server set up because she needs to migrate her websites over soon because she's losing thousands of dollars every minute. I explain who we don't support any of this on an unmanaged server (again) and she starts going on about how she's going to end up homeless because of this. As if I really cared about that after the way she was treating me.

She then asks to have this ticket given to a supervisor, so I talk to the supervisor on my shift, she reads the ticket and she tells me, "What the ******** is this? Okay, I will talk to her." She she takes this mad woman's ticket and I don't see it for a day.

The next day, I see the ticket back in my queue. My supervisor tells me verbatim, "She is ******** crazy, but I think I calmed her down," and everything did seem cool. She had finally agreed to just have me advise her on getting these things set up her self. Now, I'm technically not even obligated to sit there and hold her hand through doing this, but my company is known for its amazing support, so I just suck it up and help her get the LAMP stack set up for her. By the time the day is over, she finally has it installed correctly. What does she tell me for all my hard work? "You REALLY should have just done this for me, but I guess this was okay." At this point, I really just want to strangle her, but I just give her a generic response about being happy to help her, and think it is over.

The next day I see the ticket is re-opened. She has a new dilemma... She wants me to install Pure-FTPd on her unmanaged server, set up twelve FTP accounts (for some reason) and then transfer all of her domains over from a different hosting provider, and onto her server using FTP. After that she wants me to configure the VHosts for her, assign each domain its own IP address, and then help install Dreamweaver on ALL of them. Now, there are a few things wrong with this, but I ignore some of it. I explain to her AGAIN how this falls far outside of our support, and i try to sell her a managed server. For only $15 more a month, she can get a fully managed server that would not only allow us to help her, but make helping her astronomically easier since we don't have to configure every single ******** thing from source.

She is hysterical now, and she calls in. I am transferred the call and she begins screaming at me incoherently, explaining how I am just trying to milk more money out of her and how my company is just filled with greedy ******** who want to steal some poor woman's wealth. I try to tell her that with a fully managed server, we could had everything she wanted done completed a long time ago. She then hangs up on me.

Later, I hear her talking to a coworker. Everyone around us is completely silent because we are all listening to the screeching harpy, who we can hear quite clearly from five feet away. Eventually she hangs up AGAIN, and I talk to my coworker. Apparently she was talking about how MySQL stole $200,000 from her bank account and how she wanted her server and sites to run without MySQL and with port 3306 blocked completely in the firewall.

She then calls back in and demands to speak with me. My supervisor takes the call and FINALLY explains that she is being dropped as a customer and how she will no longer be allowed to host with us. After that, it was the only time I ever saw a supervisor hang up on a customer.

She is so famous around the office, that there are multiple jokes that have sprung up from her insanity. If someone deals with an incredibly loud and crazy customer, we will say, "I just had a Carrie on the phone." (Carrie was the customer's name obviously)

Now there is a rumor going around that she's having a friend or family member set up her hosting account with us. I've heard coworkers claim that they would get some really timid man on the phone with someone that sounded like Carrie whisper-shrieking at him in the background. "No, no! Ask them to configure it for us!! Idiot!!"

I hope to God that man isn't her husband... Thanks for listening to this rambling story, and I apologize if it wasn't entertaining.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff