Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Lunatic

I love my Toyota trucks, they never die!!! Or at least break down, lost 3 now due to jerks who can't drive.

I also love my Subaru Impreza. 2001 spent $2,600, no issues a year later.

I have bought all my vehicles off craigslist, do your research, take your time and good deals are to be found.

I've never spent more then 5K on any vehicle, but I guess I should note that I have many friends who know cars and will do work for beer and make sure I'm not buying crap.
My fam always had used Toyotas. They're the s**t.
Before I destroyed mine (99 corolla), the mileage was around 250k and only thing wrong was that the a/c had died.

When it doubt, find a car-obsessed friend to help you.
My boyfriend is in charge of finding me a good deal ... someday when I can afford those kind of expenses.
I had a Buick Century for 3 years. I bought it for $600 at an auction, the only major problem were the brakes which I had to get fixed a few times.

Tipsy Genius

13,675 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
Update: The stupid Floridian flooded his engine on a really cold day. Meh. It cost me like $60 and I'll know how to fix it next time.
Buick LeSabres, man. They're awesome. My grandma's Toyota Cresceda ran forever too. Careful, Toyota has made junk cars before though, but usually they're pretty good.
Avoid vehicles for that low of a price. Try to go for 7k, and Toyotas are good.

Friendly Bookworm

For a car close to 4k, a small locally owned car shop would be a way to go. Speak with the car dealership to see how their reputation is? If it's sketchy, run. If they are trying to help you, stay and look.

Look at their cars. Inspect every inch of the cars. You should find very rarely rust and damaged cars in very good shape. Check the engine, paint jobs (if you see black covers on the bottom of the frame, avoid) and the whatnot. Stick to what you are looking for as well: gas mileage, space, etc.

Being in college, I would recommend something like a SUV or spacious car to transport your stuff to and from college in one shot.

Keep an eye on recent recalls going on and always check the car history.

After that, go buy the car that meets your needs and in the best shape and price possible. If you take good care of the car, it'll last you a little past college when you have a good paying job to afford a new car again.

Romantic Phantom

You can find a good car for around that price. It will take some time. The car I have now was priced at $2700 but was able to talk the seller down because of the amount of work I would have to put into the car.

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Early 80s Toyota pickups are great. We have an '84, and people keep trying to buy it off of us, even though it does't even have power steering.If you can manage to get a Subaru in good condition, that would be great. We've been trying to get a good used one, and it's hard. Also, Toyota Camry or Corolla, or Honda Civic, or a Ford Taurus as long as the transmission looks good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff