Welcome to Gaia! ::

Not really a big issue, just wondering...

Why exactly is transgender in there at all? I have never understood that. It's like one of those "Which of these things does not belong" puzzles; three of those terms are about sexual preference, and one is about gender identity. It literally has nothing to do with the others, besides the fact that a majority of TG people (that I have personally met, I can't say anything about the community as a whole) happen to be bi or homosexual.

And no, I'm not saying anything against any of those groups.

Anxious Prophet

CHIX WITH DIX
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

So very helpful. Thank you for your witty and insightful commentary that was 100% relevant to the topic at hand.

Please come back when you've matured past 12.

Anxious Prophet

Overlord of Night- Shadow
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

So very helpful. Thank you for your witty and insightful commentary that was 100% relevant to the topic at hand.

The trans-gender sub-community is considered part of the larger LBGT simply due to the fact they are not part of the heterosexual community. You're either straight, or not. Now being in the 'not' side of things can get a little complicated to some people, that is why it is split up into the L and the B and the G plus the T.

That better?

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
I think it's because all four of those terms refer to an "alternative" sexual identity. Gays/Lesbians/Bisexuals have an "alternative" sexual identity in that they generally have an attraction to the same sex, whereas TG reinvent their personal sexual identity. All of these groups face similar obstacles on their journey to becoming comfortable with themselves, like the disapproval of family and friends and the decision about whether or not to be their true selves in public. I see why they get grouped together.
The Whisky Eyes
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

The trans-gender sub-community is considered part of the larger LBGT simply due to the fact they are not part of the heterosexual community. You're either straight, or not. Now being in the 'not' side of things can get a little complicated to some people, that is why it is split up into the L and the B and the G plus the T.

That better?

Erm, transgenderism has nothing to do with heterosexuality.

Heterosexuality means an attraction to the opposite sex/gender, not "attraction to sex opposite the one you were born as."

If a person has a sex change from male to female, and is attracted to women, she's a transwoman and a lesbian.

It probably goes back to the inception of the community. LGB youth were outcasts, transgenders were outcasts, and there was overlap of the cultures (more prevalent blurring of gender lines, acceptance, greater tolerance, etc).
The Whisky Eyes
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

That better?

Once again, TG has absolutely nothing to do with sexual identity, so you didn't answer anything at all. While there are many TG people who are not straight, there are also people who are TG who are straight, so why should they be grouped in with a group of people who aren't straight?

That's like having a group made up of Black people, Hispanics, Asians, and gay people. Are there gay people who aren't white? Sure. But that doesn't mean a sexual preference should be grouped in as a different race; the same as a gender identity should not be grouped with sexual preferences.
CleoSombra
The Whisky Eyes
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

That better?

Heterosexuality means an attraction to the opposite sex/gender, not "attraction to sex opposite the one you were born as."

If a person has a sex change from male to female, and is attracted to women, she's a transwoman and a lesbian.

It probably goes back to the inception of the community. LGB youth were outcasts, transgenders were outcasts, and there was overlap of the cultures (more prevalent blurring of gender lines, acceptance, greater tolerance, etc).

Yeah, this makes more sense to me.

It does kind of annoy me sometimes, though, for example with LGBT bullying? Of course it's terrible, and of course it needs to be stopped, but it also pushes those people as the major ones who need to be protected, when in reality there are many other people who have the same problems. I fit into none of those categories, but I was bullied terribly all throughout school life.

Basically, what I'm saying is that labels, including self-given ones, are stupid and only make the rift between people worse.

Anxious Prophet

CleoSombra
The Whisky Eyes
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

That better?

The context of heterosexual society in my post was the usual image of being straight, as in male+female. This is what led me to saying that it can get complicated, a sentence or two later.
Resident expert here
<-

Basically if you break it down you can find the word. Trans + gender. Across gender.
In other words it's someone who doesn't confine or fit to conventional gender and sex standards and views. Examples would be a transsexual, crossdresser, gender queer, etc.

Shameless Man-Lover

Perhaps because all of those groups challenge the way that most people see gender. Homosexual men are stereotyped as being girly, while homosexual women are stereotyped as being more manly. Transgendered people bend the normal rules for gender and what not, in the same way.
CleoSombra
The Whisky Eyes
The Whisky Eyes
CHIX WITH DIX

That better?

Yeah, this makes more sense to me.

It does kind of annoy me sometimes, though, for example with LGBT bullying? Of course it's terrible, and of course it needs to be stopped, but it also pushes those people as the major ones who need to be protected, when in reality there are many other people who have the same problems. I fit into none of those categories, but I was bullied terribly all throughout school life.

Basically, what I'm saying is that labels, including self-given ones, are stupid and only make the rift between people worse.

There are campaigns that focus on the general concept of just ending bullying, whether it has to do with body image, sexuality, popularity, or whatever. Different groups focus on different things - the gay and lesbian community has more of the spotlight right now because there are other bigger issues at hand, like having the right to walk down the street without being beaten (basic tolerance) or being able to see their partner of 25 years when they're in the ICU and on their death bed (legal benefits of marriage). Bullying is wrong on all levels, but the gay and lesbian community has the spotlight right now.

Ruthless Autobiographer

9,225 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Not really a big issue, just wondering...

Why exactly is transgender in there at all? I have never understood that. It's like one of those "Which of these things does not belong" puzzles; three of those terms are about sexual preference, and one is about gender identity. It literally has nothing to do with the others, besides the fact that a majority of TG people (that I have personally met, I can't say anything about the community as a whole) happen to be bi or homosexual.

And no, I'm not saying anything against any of those groups.

//Quoting the first post for my convenience//
I agree with you. As a female-to-male transgender, I have a strong feeling of not belonging with the GLB part of GLBT in reference to that part of me. I identify as a gay man, which forces me into the GLB spectrum, but for transgender support, I'd go to a place for strictly transgender support.
We're grouped together because we all fight the same battles.

Thieving Millionaire

7,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
    Historically speaking, the T was added to the acronym for political strength. The reality of the recent few decades is that the transgender community is such a political and population minority that it needed allies in the LGB community to have political validity. On top of that, it has been easier to have political battles for the entire queer community instead of just by themselves. The majority of people in this world are cisgender and heterosexual. If change is possible, we need all the help we can get to achieve that change. That has been the historic reason for political reasons, not necessarily because all members of the LGBTQ community/ies are the same or have the same battles or interests.

And another historical tidbit, it was not always this way. The movement began with only acceptance of those in the LG community. The B was later added, and the T even later so. The Q and any other additions to the acronym have been only in the last few years, due to steps taken to make the community as inclusive as possible. Debates occurred non-stop every time a letter has been added.

In my opinion, the T belongs in LGBTQ because we are members of a society that are considered "others." We exist as groups outside of heteronormativity, though not necessarily heterosexuality. No, not all trans* folks are straight (or gay! or either!). But those who are straight still have to exist as "others", as queer in relation to a heteronormative world.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff