Welcome to Gaia! ::

Griffin Kaige
I Am The Architect
Stacie LaVelle
If you are old enough to fight/register for the draft in a war and pay taxes *in the USA's case its 18* then you should be able to vote. And if you are 17 in an election year and you turn 18 the following year you should be able to vote as well.

Hilariously this would mean only men could vote, or women who enlist.

How so? Because only 18+ year old women who are in the military are magically 'old enough to fight'? Or did you completely miss that part? Oh, and only military people pay taxes, apparently.

You seem to be mistaken. Women are not subject to the draft, and therefor only women who enlist meet that requirement.

Second, she said those old enough to be drafted (which I assume means those enlisted as well) AND pay taxes, meaning both are a requirement to that user. Which means most women cannot vote, aside from those who enlist.

Unless you want to take a literal stance and mean all those capable of fighting in a war if a land invasion of the USA were to happen. In that case almost every citizen aged 7 and up would probably meet the requirement, since child soldiers are not a new thing and we're talking about "can" and not " legally allowed" .

However under that user's statement only men ( able to be drafted and pay taxes) or women who enlist ( able to fight and pay taxes) would be able to vote. Notably this isolates men who are unable to be drafted or enlisted for various reasons, as well, and not just women.

Jaxton Cole's Husband

I Am The Architect
Griffin Kaige
I Am The Architect
Stacie LaVelle
If you are old enough to fight/register for the draft in a war and pay taxes *in the USA's case its 18* then you should be able to vote. And if you are 17 in an election year and you turn 18 the following year you should be able to vote as well.

Hilariously this would mean only men could vote, or women who enlist.

How so? Because only 18+ year old women who are in the military are magically 'old enough to fight'? Or did you completely miss that part? Oh, and only military people pay taxes, apparently.

You seem to be mistaken. Women are not subject to the draft, and therefor only women who enlist meet that requirement.

Second, she said those old enough to be drafted (which I assume means those enlisted as well) AND pay taxes, meaning both are a requirement to that user. Which means most women cannot vote, aside from those who enlist.

Unless you want to take a literal stance and mean all those capable of fighting in a war if a land invasion of the USA were to happen. In that case almost every citizen aged 7 and up would probably meet the requirement, since child soldiers are not a new thing and we're talking about "can" and not " legally allowed" .

However under that user's statement only men ( able to be drafted and pay taxes) or women who enlist ( able to fight and pay taxes) would be able to vote. Notably this isolates men who are unable to be drafted or enlisted for various reasons, as well, and not just women.

First, the bold. Legally ANYONE who is 18 (17 with parental consent, but they still cannot fully enlist until 18, they just get their boot camp training out of the way) can 'fight' in the military, so your claim that its only those enlisted is false. You reading what you want into their statement based on semantics doesn't change that. If you are legally old enough to fight, you should be able to vote, and if you are legally old enough to pay taxes, you should be able to vote. However, in regards to the taxes part, I have to disagree a bit simply because one does not need to be 18 to have a job and pay taxes. You can work, with a permit, at 15, and from 16 on without a permit, however you are still not a legal adult.

What I said above actually relates to the red as well.

Now, as for the blue, I have to disagree with you using semantics to try to say the person you quoted said something they did not. When referring to legal adult hood and all the rights, responsibilities, and liberties legal adults have, it is abundantly clear that the person you quoted was referring to legal adulthood, not just any old age.
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe
Lolyes they are.

You raise an excellent point though, ya'all shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, either emotion_c8

I think making babies should require a license, certifying that you're not a defect/moron, and if you are, mandatory sterilization and manual labor in your future! And never being able to vote, because you couldn't pass the not-a-moron-test.

As for the red, that means you should be forcibly sterilized and not allowed to vote, right? Only a moron would take this stance, after all.

I've been proven otherwise, actually. I'm quite confident in my not-a-moron status.

Genius IQ test results > Some rando's opinion of me on the internet emotion_c8

I'm sorry but given your immature way of 'speaking' and your less than stellar sentence structure, I highly doubt your claim of being a genius. But of course people will puff themselves up online because they can claim anything they want to, there's no way to disprove them unlike when speaking to them face to face. Or rather, some people will puff themselves up. Generally, the ones who do this are insecure and have low self esteem and doing so makes them feel better about themselves.

lol

Why address me at all, or anyone online for that matter, if you're so set that everyone here is either a moron or a lying moron, hm?

Nice cop out which reinforces to me that your claim of being a genius is just you puffing yourself up online to try and impress people. Otherwise you would know that I was referring to you specifically and also stated specifically that some people will puff themselves up out of insecurity and low self esteem, neither of which states that the person is a moron or a lying moron. Perhaps, if you are unable to cope with people calling you out on your asinine remarks you should rethink them and replace them with something less asinine?

Whatever you say, honey lol

Liberal Receiver

Griffin Kaige
Jason0690

Honestly my opinion of voting age depends on the maturity of the person, granted, most people under the age of 25 don't seem to vote anyway.

Do you have proof of the bold or are you making an assumption?

Do you not English?
I'd think the "seem to" would be pretty indicative.

olive buffet's Datemate

the reason the government sucks so much is because only Old white people still living in the 1960s vote.

Jaxton Cole's Husband

Foxydoe
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe

I've been proven otherwise, actually. I'm quite confident in my not-a-moron status.

I'm sorry but given your immature way of 'speaking' and your less than stellar sentence structure, I highly doubt your claim of being a genius. But of course people will puff themselves up online because they can claim anything they want to, there's no way to disprove them unlike when speaking to them face to face. Or rather, some people will puff themselves up. Generally, the ones who do this are insecure and have low self esteem and doing so makes them feel better about themselves.

lol

Why address me at all, or anyone online for that matter, if you're so set that everyone here is either a moron or a lying moron, hm?

Nice cop out which reinforces to me that your claim of being a genius is just you puffing yourself up online to try and impress people. Otherwise you would know that I was referring to you specifically and also stated specifically that some people will puff themselves up out of insecurity and low self esteem, neither of which states that the person is a moron or a lying moron. Perhaps, if you are unable to cope with people calling you out on your asinine remarks you should rethink them and replace them with something less asinine?

Thank you for proving my point further. Genius my a**.

Jaxton Cole's Husband

Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690

Honestly my opinion of voting age depends on the maturity of the person, granted, most people under the age of 25 don't seem to vote anyway.

Do you not English?

Most people base such a statement on observations, usually gained via the media. But I will take your reply to mean you just decided to make it up without any basis in reality.
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe
Griffin Kaige
Foxydoe

lol

Thank you for proving my point further. Genius my a**.
'Kay!

Liberal Receiver

Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690

Do you not English?

Most people base such a statement on observations, usually gained via the media. But I will take your reply to mean you just decided to make it up without any basis in reality.

Close bruh. It's based on observations I've made in the last two decades of people that are both older, and younger than me. I generally don't immediately accept anything the news broadcasts.

So, it does have a basis in reality, just my reality. Which is highly subjective to each and every person and where they live. Where I live, I don't meet a whole lot of young adults that personally give two ******** about voting or elections because they're more vested in finding their first "real" jobs, their first "real" apartments, or graduating from college in the case of those who took longer degrees.

Jaxton Cole's Husband

Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690

Do you not English?

Close bruh. It's based on observations I've made in the last two decades of people that are both older, and younger than me. I generally don't immediately accept anything the news broadcasts.

So, it does have a basis in reality, just my reality. Which is highly subjective to each and every person and where they live. Where I live, I don't meet a whole lot of young adults that personally give two ******** about voting or elections because they're more vested in finding their first "real" jobs, their first "real" apartments, or graduating from college in the case of those who took longer degrees.

Are you Hawai'ian? If not, don't call me bruh. Stealing their words to make yourself look cool is quite the opposite.

That said, you could have, I don't know, conducted yourself like an adult instead of like a child and said what you just said now; that it is based on your observations in your area. You could have also avoided this entirely had you said 'Where I live most of the people under 25 don't seem to vote anyway'. The way you generalized it implied you were stating that this is universal, which is why I asked if you had something that supported it. There are statistics on this, after all. It just takes a half a second Google search to find them.

Quote:

45% of young people age 18-29 voted in 2012, down from 51% in 2008.

In states with sufficient samples, youth turnout in 2012 was highest in Mississippi (68.1%), Wisconsin (58.0%), Minnesota (57.7%) and Iowa (57.1%). Voter turnout in 2012 was lowest in West Virginia (23.6%), Oklahoma (27.1%), Texas (29.6%), and Arkansas (30.4%).

There were differences in the youth vote by gender and marital status. In 2012, 41.1% of single young men turned out, compared to 48.3% of young single females. In 2012, nearly 52.5% of young married females voted, compared to 48.5% of married men.

The youth vote varied greatly by gender and race. Young Black and Hispanic women were the strongest supporters of President Obama.

Although 60% of U.S. Citizens between the ages of 18-29 have enrolled in college, 71% of young voters have attended college, meaning that college-educated young people were overrepresented among young people who voted.

In 2012, young voters 18-29 chose Barack Obama over Mitt Romney, 60% to 37% – a 23 point margin, according to National Exit Polls.
Civicyouth.org

Each bullet has a link to further reading.

Now, that said, as a young person who voted in 2012, at the tender age of 18, I can explain partly why so many young voters preferred Obama over Romney. Obama came across as more personable and more in touch with the average person. Romney came across as a rich a*****e who thought everyone else was beneath him, and that shone through in his 47% gaffe where he mocked a large majority of voters for being below his acceptable level of income. Many young people saw what Obama intended with many of his ideals as good things for our country, whether or not they turned out that way is irrelevant. Allowing young people to remain on their parents insurance until age 26 was a big boon because for many losing that insurance meant not getting medical treatment in emergencies or for their daily needs. Has the man done everything he said he would? No, but that is not solely on him. it is also on the Republican party, a party that set out to make it nearly impossible for him to accomplish anything. That is their own words, they would fight from day one to keep him from accomplishing things because they are too bitter to put politics aside and give a damn about the country and their constituents. This is abundantly clear in the red states that decided to say screw their constituents, they refused to take federal money to expand medicaid to help those in need. There are republicans running for high offices who are running on the platform of repealing all of the Affordable Care Act, thus taking medical care away from hundreds of thousands of their own constituents. As long as they are not personally affected by it they do not care who they hurt, as long as they can stick it to the Democrats. That's not to say the Dems don't have their own agendas but more often than not they're willing to sit and talk while Republicans are not. At leas that has been my observation from following various political issues over the last few years.

Liberal Receiver

Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige

Do you not English?

Are you Hawai'ian? If not, don't call me bruh. Stealing their words to make yourself look cool is quite the opposite.

That said, you could have, I don't know, conducted yourself like an adult instead of like a child and said what you just said now; that it is based on your observations in your area. You could have also avoided this entirely had you said 'Where I live most of the people under 25 don't seem to vote anyway'. The way you generalized it implied you were stating that this is universal, which is why I asked if you had something that supported it. There are statistics on this, after all. It just takes a half a second Google search to find them.

Quote:

In states with sufficient samples, youth turnout in 2012 was highest in Mississippi (68.1%), Wisconsin (58.0%), Minnesota (57.7%) and Iowa (57.1%). Voter turnout in 2012 was lowest in West Virginia (23.6%), Oklahoma (27.1%), Texas (29.6%), and Arkansas (30.4%).

There were differences in the youth vote by gender and marital status. In 2012, 41.1% of single young men turned out, compared to 48.3% of young single females. In 2012, nearly 52.5% of young married females voted, compared to 48.5% of married men.

The youth vote varied greatly by gender and race. Young Black and Hispanic women were the strongest supporters of President Obama.

Although 60% of U.S. Citizens between the ages of 18-29 have enrolled in college, 71% of young voters have attended college, meaning that college-educated young people were overrepresented among young people who voted.

In 2012, young voters 18-29 chose Barack Obama over Mitt Romney, 60% to 37% – a 23 point margin, according to National Exit Polls.
Civicyouth.org

Now, that said, as a young person who voted in 2012, at the tender age of 18, I can explain partly why so many young voters preferred Obama over Romney. Obama came across as more personable and more in touch with the average person. Romney came across as a rich a*****e who thought everyone else was beneath him, and that shone through in his 47% gaffe where he mocked a large majority of voters for being below his acceptable level of income. Many young people saw what Obama intended with many of his ideals as good things for our country, whether or not they turned out that way is irrelevant. Allowing young people to remain on their parents insurance until age 26 was a big boon because for many losing that insurance meant not getting medical treatment in emergencies or for their daily needs. Has the man done everything he said he would? No, but that is not solely on him. it is also on the Republican party, a party that set out to make it nearly impossible for him to accomplish anything. That is their own words, they would fight from day one to keep him from accomplishing things because they are too bitter to put politics aside and give a damn about the country and their constituents. This is abundantly clear in the red states that decided to say screw their constituents, they refused to take federal money to expand medicaid to help those in need. There are republicans running for high offices who are running on the platform of repealing all of the Affordable Care Act, thus taking medical care away from hundreds of thousands of their own constituents. As long as they are not personally affected by it they do not care who they hurt, as long as they can stick it to the Democrats. That's not to say the Dems don't have their own agendas but more often than not they're willing to sit and talk while Republicans are not. At leas that has been my observation from following various political issues over the last few years.

Dude, I can feel the butthurt all the way over here. Chillax mah bruh.
And no, not Hawaiian. Not going to curtail how I talk, seeing as "bruh" isn't exclusive to them.

May I suggest that you stop taking the internet so goddamn serious?

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
>implyin voting makes a difference.

Jaxton Cole's Husband

Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690

Do you not English?

Quote:

Civicyouth.org

And no, not Hawaiian. Not going to curtail how I talk, seeing as "bruh" isn't exclusive to them.

Oh, I get it now, you lack the ability to hold an intelligent conversation so at the first sign of one you use personal attacks to cover it.

Why am I not entirely surprised? It seems that these kinds of websites are riddled with those who, instead of having the ability to conduct themselves with maturity, act like children and run from intelligent conversations.

Also, since you said your opinion is based on the level of maturity, does this mean that you include yourself in those who should not get to vote, considering you have conducted yourself in a very immature way?

Griffin Kaige's Husband

Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige
Jason0690
Griffin Kaige

Quote:

Civicyouth.org

Oh, I get it now, you lack the ability to hold an intelligent conversation so at the first sign of one you use personal attacks to cover it.

Why am I not entirely surprised? It seems that these kinds of websites are riddled with those who, instead of having the ability to conduct themselves with maturity, act like children and run from intelligent conversations.

Also, since you said your opinion is based on the level of maturity, does this mean that you include yourself in those who should not get to vote, considering you have conducted yourself in a very immature way?

Griffin, just because he was rude to you does not mean you need to behave just as immaturely. You're better than that, and we both know it.
How about 25? And only white men should be able to vote.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff