Welcome to Gaia! ::

SirPuzzle
GSK Lives
SirPuzzle
GSK Lives
SirPuzzle

Superior at what.

Contributions to society and morally. Not all assets are equally valuable.

Idk what you mean by contributions to society, that's really vague. Like for example do you mean which gender contributes more to the gross domestic product of an economy? Or like do you mean contributions like increasing social capital? By social capital I mean things like making the culture better, raising kids to be good citizens, so on and so forth. The problem with your question is that there's so much that goes into contributing society it's not easy to narrow it down and answer it.

As for morally I think the answer to that is pretty obvious, I'd say there's a lot more women who are moral/good people than men.

Ooo HOOOOO, curveball from the social conservative. I knew there was a reason I like you.

I ask it because a pretty good case gets made by other social conservatives about how women are markedly inferior on that basis. Example;

Quote:
Are women equal to men in ability? When considering whether women are equal to men in ability, ask yourself this question, ladies. Would you rather be shipwrecked on a desert island with a man or another woman? Of course, we women have our strengths. When properly trained, we are good at nurturing children. We can be content making our homes so long as no other woman is whispering rebellious poison in our ears. But are we generally equal to men in ability? No. Women are generally inferior to men in ability. On average we are smaller, weaker, invent almost nothing, produce almost nothing…except for children, that is. We are able to do this one thing that men cannot do; in every other area, we are inferior and it is merely an illusion propped up by artifice that we are equal to men.

If the welfare state which exists due to taxes disproportionately paid by men were to disintegrate, the myth that women are not inferior to men would quickly evaporate. And do you know what? That fact does not bother me! It does not bother me that I am generally inferior to my husband. Rather, that fact fills me with a profound gratitude for his presence in my life and makes me acutely aware of how fortunate I am to be under his protection.

So her point is that if she was stranded on an island she'd rather be stranded with a male due to males being on average more physically capable than women are? Well of course it's undeniably true that the average man is far more physically capable than a woman in just about every way, but what about the violence aspect. Who is far more likely going to rape/kill you if you're stranded on an island alone with them, a man or a woman? I don't need to answer that question everyone knows the answer. Point being yeah sure, I'd rather be stranded on an island with a male.......assuming he isn't a violent hostile person which is a gamble when it comes to picking between a male or female as your partner. If I was stranded on an island with a female I wouldn't have to worry about these things, so it's a trade off really.

However let's grant her point that males are superior in terms of their ability to survive on a desert island. So what? How is this hypothetical scenario relevant to the modern world anymore? The answer is, it isn't. So it's one of those philosophical hypothetical scenarios that doesn't really mean anything to our current situation in the world.

The fact is we don't live in societies anymore where physical strength is a very valuable trait anymore. There's a lot of abilities now that are far more important than physical capability (intelligence, charisma, sociability, leadership, teamwork, etc, etc). This is just a truism of evolution, as an environment changes so do the traits that are advantageous in that environment.

So yeah men are more physically capable than women are, lol alright. Too bad physical capability isn't nearly as important of a trait than it used to be.

and her other points? Regarding leadership, inventions, ect?
GSK Lives
SirPuzzle
GSK Lives
SirPuzzle
GSK Lives

Contributions to society and morally. Not all assets are equally valuable.

Idk what you mean by contributions to society, that's really vague. Like for example do you mean which gender contributes more to the gross domestic product of an economy? Or like do you mean contributions like increasing social capital? By social capital I mean things like making the culture better, raising kids to be good citizens, so on and so forth. The problem with your question is that there's so much that goes into contributing society it's not easy to narrow it down and answer it.

As for morally I think the answer to that is pretty obvious, I'd say there's a lot more women who are moral/good people than men.

Ooo HOOOOO, curveball from the social conservative. I knew there was a reason I like you.

I ask it because a pretty good case gets made by other social conservatives about how women are markedly inferior on that basis. Example;

Quote:
Are women equal to men in ability? When considering whether women are equal to men in ability, ask yourself this question, ladies. Would you rather be shipwrecked on a desert island with a man or another woman? Of course, we women have our strengths. When properly trained, we are good at nurturing children. We can be content making our homes so long as no other woman is whispering rebellious poison in our ears. But are we generally equal to men in ability? No. Women are generally inferior to men in ability. On average we are smaller, weaker, invent almost nothing, produce almost nothing…except for children, that is. We are able to do this one thing that men cannot do; in every other area, we are inferior and it is merely an illusion propped up by artifice that we are equal to men.

If the welfare state which exists due to taxes disproportionately paid by men were to disintegrate, the myth that women are not inferior to men would quickly evaporate. And do you know what? That fact does not bother me! It does not bother me that I am generally inferior to my husband. Rather, that fact fills me with a profound gratitude for his presence in my life and makes me acutely aware of how fortunate I am to be under his protection.

So her point is that if she was stranded on an island she'd rather be stranded with a male due to males being on average more physically capable than women are? Well of course it's undeniably true that the average man is far more physically capable than a woman in just about every way, but what about the violence aspect. Who is far more likely going to rape/kill you if you're stranded on an island alone with them, a man or a woman? I don't need to answer that question everyone knows the answer. Point being yeah sure, I'd rather be stranded on an island with a male.......assuming he isn't a violent hostile person which is a gamble when it comes to picking between a male or female as your partner. If I was stranded on an island with a female I wouldn't have to worry about these things, so it's a trade off really.

However let's grant her point that males are superior in terms of their ability to survive on a desert island. So what? How is this hypothetical scenario relevant to the modern world anymore? The answer is, it isn't. So it's one of those philosophical hypothetical scenarios that doesn't really mean anything to our current situation in the world.

The fact is we don't live in societies anymore where physical strength is a very valuable trait anymore. There's a lot of abilities now that are far more important than physical capability (intelligence, charisma, sociability, leadership, teamwork, etc, etc). This is just a truism of evolution, as an environment changes so do the traits that are advantageous in that environment.

So yeah men are more physically capable than women are, lol alright. Too bad physical capability isn't nearly as important of a trait than it used to be.

and her other points? Regarding leadership, inventions, ect?

Well her statements regarding inventions is not an opinion it's just a matter of fact. Of the people who have created new inventions far more of them are men than women. Of the people inventing things today far more of them are men than women, you can look at the gender percentages of people who apply for a patent to see this. That isn't an opinion, it's an empirically verifiable fact. Anyone who disagrees with it is just factually incorrect. So anyone who cares about facts isn't going to disagree with her on that point.

As for her statement that women produce almost nothing except children, well again this is vague. What does she mean by "production" because if she isn't defining production as something really narrow like only producing physical goods, then she's not correct. You can take a look at this link I will provide and find a significant amount of businesses are owned by women now

https://www.nwbc.gov/facts/women-owned-businesses

However if she is defining production as only referring to raw assets (I.E. raw materials used to build everything like metal, wood, cloth, etc, etc) well once again while this is an interesting observation, the fact of the matter is in a society you need far more than just raw assets. So again I don't see the significance of this point in terms of determining some vague notion of which sex contributes more to society.

Furthermore women are responsible for like 70-80% of consumption and our economy in the U.S. is overwhelmingly a consumer based economy. So if it weren't for women our economy would be much smaller due to a large decrease in aggregate demand. So actually women also help the economy by buying so much stuff as well.

Though of course this can backfire, like if too many people go into debt to fuel their consumption. I haven't looked at the stats but if I were to make a bet I would bet on a per capita basis men hold more debt than women, just a guess though.
SirPuzzle

Well her statements regarding inventions is not an opinion it's just a matter of fact. Of the people who have created new inventions far more of them are men than women. Of the people inventing things today far more of them are men than women, you can look at the gender percentages of people who apply for a patent to see this. That isn't an opinion, it's an empirically verifiable fact. Anyone who disagrees with it is just factually incorrect. So anyone who cares about facts isn't going to disagree with her on that point.

Wellp, you did say you didn't think the genders were equal, so now you agree that women are inferior? I think they are.

I'll let that sink in...
GSK Lives
SirPuzzle

Wellp, you did say you didn't think the genders were equal, so now you agree that women are inferior? I think they are.

I'll let that sink in...

lol

I point out more women are moral than men are, okay that's fine let's move on and pretend he didn't say that.

I point out a fact that more men have invented things than women, therefore that proves I think women are inferior.

lol

So your tactic is to go down a check list of traits until I finally agree men contribute more to one of them, and then you go "See you think women are inferior" while ignoring all the other traits (like me saying more women are moral).

Not surprising though considering the fact you have an a priori opinion and will use any intellectually dishonest means to support your prejudices. This behavior fits your personality, I was waiting for you to pull this bullcrap tactic lol

Have a nice day, I have more important things to do than to talk to someone who has no interest in being an honest person but would rather spend their life being a sophist. I'm going to go the library now and pick up a few books biggrin

Yeah and I'm sure all those books are titled "How men are better than women and why women are inferior" lol
SirPuzzle

I point out more women are moral than men are, okay that's fine let's move on and pretend he didn't say that.

I point out a fact that more men have invented things than women, therefore that proves I think women are inferior.

You did say that the genders aren't equal.

Quote:
So your tactic is to go down a check list of traits until I finally agree men contribute more to one of them, and then you go "See you think women are inferior" while ignoring all the other traits (like me saying more women are moral).

How did I ignore it?

Also, being more moral < inventing what makes civilization great.

Quote:
Have a nice day, I have more important things to do than to talk to someone who has no interest in being an honest person

Funny, I was about to say the same thing.

Quote:
but would rather spend their life being a sophist. I'm going to go the library now and pick up a few books biggrin

Yeah and I'm sure all those books are titled "How men are better than women and why women are inferior" lol

Well, that book does exist, and you do think it, so godspeed.
Beloved Ice Cream Bar
APH_Naomi-New York
I'm Jewish on my mom's side, and this guy who used to go to my school used to stereotype me as cheap and money-hungry. The guy said those things because he was an anti-Semite who worshipped Hitler.

I'm not cheap or money-hungry, I just know how to get the most out of my spending money; my parents taught me the value of a dollar at an early age, that's all.

Wow....That's harsh...

ikr?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas