Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well... it may be kinda stupid but I usually think back at the civilisations from the past... specially focusing on the polytheism.

for example:

Today we assume there is only 1 god, not many, right? Having 1 god at ancient times might have been considered a blasphemy or just plain stupid... Many of us now consider that having many gods is just unacceptable!

We now know that we don't have to sacrifice people in order to ("insert something here" ex: have some rain, make the sun come up,make the moon appear again after a lunar ecplise, etc) something that was once thought to be the undeniable truth.

What if after a set number of years from now, people are going to believe in something else and laugh/mock/examine our religous-oriented actions? Those people maybe even understand and explain the phenomena that caused us to start believing with a scientific fact?

What Im trying to say is that I find it a little hard to believe on something (this god, or this other god) this beliefs may come from an attempt at explaining something that untill today, is considered a mystery and as such, we consider it something out of this world, thus considering it as something/someone holy.

Much like when the Spanish conquered the Aztecs, the Aztecs thought the Spanish were gods, or god's emissaries, maybe because they had "shiny skin" and were able to "walk on water" . While the Spanish were only riding really big boats with their armors shining under the sun.

The Aztecs's lack of knowledge about these things made them think the Spanish were some kind of holy being.. (The only explanation that we humans usually come up with , after seeing something currently unexplainable)

What if we are the "Aztecs" right now?

(I hope this made some sense, I'm really bad at writing up my ideas..)
Quote:
Answer me this; what's so hard about believing in Zeus, Thor, or Osiris? They were as revered by their respective cultures as Yahweh, Allah and Brahman are today, and today they are just children's stories. Their myths are just that; myths. We don't take their beliefs seriously for a second, yet our era's religious beliefs are just far-fetched. I have no doubt that eventually, the Abrahamic God will be viewed the same way we view Norse and Greek myths as stupid.

I actually ment to say something like this sweatdrop ! (I just noticed this post)

Tipsy Codger

3,850 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
Why do you think that everyone needs to believe in your god?

Why should someone try to believe in something that they simply do not believe in?

I don't believe in your god, although I tried to believe in him when I was little. I'm much happier not pretending to believe in something I don't believe in. I'm 20 now, and I don't like lying -- to myself, to others, or to deities that may or may not exist.
There are many reasons why people don't believe (or dontwant to believe anyway.)

The bible was written by men, many many years after the said events had happened and there was no documented evdence of this happening until the bible was written.
The world is older than the bible claims it is, and that has been poven by science. I am not saying there is no god, there are still mysteries that sciencse can not explain, like what gives us our soul, what brings our bodies to life?
But honeslty i don't have a solid opinion on if there is a god or not, sometimes i think there is no god, and other times it seems like there is.
But mostly the reason people dont believe in god is because they have their own god to look to, and (for me any way) I am not a christian and i don't see the point in it all. I honestly think the bible is the ramblings of a drunkered who thinks he can write.
But thats just my opinion.
And honestly you can't make people believe in your god, that is the most stupidest thing a person can do and i pitty the poor people who do that, no matter how much i hate them. >_<
Kitsune_kohma
There are many reasons why people don't believe (or dontwant to believe anyway.)

The bible was written by men, many many years after the said events had happened and there was no documented evdence of this happening until the bible was written.
The world is older than the bible claims it is, and that has been poven by science. I am not saying there is no god, there are still mysteries that sciencse can not explain, like what gives us our soul, what brings our bodies to life?
But honeslty i don't have a solid opinion on if there is a god or not, sometimes i think there is no god, and other times it seems like there is.
But mostly the reason people dont believe in god is because they have their own god to look to, and (for me any way) I am not a christian and i don't see the point in it all. I honestly think the bible is the ramblings of a drunkered who thinks he can write.
And honestly you can't make people believe in your god, that is the most stupidest thing a person can do and i pitty the poor people who do that, no matter how much i hate them. >_<

Science DOES have all the answers; we just don't have all the science.
ebuny
I just want to know what so hard about beleiveing in God. Im not going against any atheist but i want know cause i am a Christian and proud of it but i dont under stand why cant you stop trying to find a logical and scientific explaination?

>System.out.println(statement);
User ImageFor the most part, I'm starting to go back towards God, but here are some popular arguements:
1. People in Church terrify me with their singing and worshipping in tongues
2. You can't see God
3. The Bible was written by man
4. Most of God's fanclub really sucks
5. It instills a sense of false security
6. Judging by all the s**t that goes on, it's hard to believe that God is always just "testing" you.
7. Many Christians have no reasonable basis for explaining things according to God (Why no one knows what he looks like, Why he sends floods and plagues, etc).

I think I'm done. >3<

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Alloflifedecays

Answer me this; what's so hard about believing in Zeus, Thor, or Osiris? They were as revered by their respective cultures as Yahweh, Allah and Brahman are today, and today they are just children's stories. Their myths are just that; myths. We don't take their beliefs seriously for a second, yet our era's religious beliefs are just far-fetched. I have no doubt that eventually, the Abrahamic God will be viewed the same way we view Norse and Greek myths as stupid.

Pardon me, but the Old Gods are alive and well wink There are many of us who worship Zeus, Thor and Osiris (although there aren't many who worship all three). You may think of them as just myths, but we view them with the same love as a Christian views Jesus. The Norse and Greek myths, even if you don't believe they happened (and those of us who worship the respective pantheons often consider the myths metaphorical), are still beautiful stories. Who doesn't read the Myth of Ares and Aprhodite, stuck in Hephaestos's net, and smile? Who wouldn't laugh when Loki ties his testicles to a goat's beard? Who isn't moved when Isis searches for each dismembered part of her husband's body?

You may not believe them, but do you honestly read them and think they're "stupid"?
Sanguina-chan
Alloflifedecays

Pardon me, but the Old Gods are alive and well wink There are many of us who worship Zeus, Thor and Osiris (although there aren't many who worship all three). You may think of them as just myths, but we view them with the same love as a Christian views Jesus. The Norse and Greek myths, even if you don't believe they happened (and those of us who worship the respective pantheons often consider the myths metaphorical), are still beautiful stories. Who doesn't read the Myth of Ares and Aprhodite, stuck in Hephaestos's net, and smile? Who wouldn't laugh when Loki ties his testicles to a goat's beard? Who isn't moved when Isis searches for each dismembered part of her husband's body?

You may not believe them, but do you honestly read them and think they're "stupid"?

You're right, it was badly phrased, so let me rephrase that last sentence:

"I have no doubt that eventually, the Abrahamic God will be viewed the same way most of society views Norse and Greek myths as impossible and nonsensical."

Perhaps not the amendment to the biting nature of the sentence you would have liked, but it leaves room for certain fringe believers, such as yourself, while admiting that society in general regards them as impossible, nonsensical and to be honest, in many people's opinion, yes, stupid.

And I think To Kill A Mockingbird is a cute story, but does it warrant worship? To claim divinity for a property on the grounds that "we could really learn a lesson" isn't theism, it's ethics, and the two, while interlinked, are separate, distinctive ares. If you consider them essentially fables, then worship is the wrong word; unless, of course, you actually do believe in the Old Gods in a literal sense. Following advice is not religion.

And fyi, I have little against those who worship the Old Gods (in many cases much less than I have against contemporary religion), the guys produce some amazing bands!
no proof that one exists so i don't praise it so yes i have no faith i fallow true hard facts (math&and most science)

and if some magical thing with light shinning out of it's ***
there is no proof that it's god or a god just b/c it says it is no proof
We find it hard because we like to be able to know how everything works on our own.

4,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Because I'm logical.
I like facts shoved in my face.
So untill there is, 'he' is non existant.
LadyRavn
Kitsune_kohma

Science DOES have all the answers; we just don't have all the science.

... Lmao.

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Alloflifedecays
Sanguina-chan
Alloflifedecays

You're right, it was badly phrased, so let me rephrase that last sentence:

"I have no doubt that eventually, the Abrahamic God will be viewed the same way most of society views Norse and Greek myths as impossible and nonsensical."

Perhaps not the amendment to the biting nature of the sentence you would have liked, but it leaves room for certain fringe believers, such as yourself, while admiting that society in general regards them as impossible, nonsensical and to be honest, in many people's opinion, yes, stupid.

And I think To Kill A Mockingbird is a cute story, but does it warrant worship? To claim divinity for a property on the grounds that "we could really learn a lesson" isn't theism, it's ethics, and the two, while interlinked, are separate, distinctive ares. If you consider them essentially fables, then worship is the wrong word; unless, of course, you actually do believe in the Old Gods in a literal sense. Following advice is not religion.

And fyi, I have little against those who worship the Old Gods (in many cases much less than I have against contemporary religion), the guys produce some amazing bands!

I do indeed believe in them in a literal sense. I am a hard polytheist. The Eddas and Myths I believe describe real entities, but whether the stories they tell actually happened or not is up for debate. Most include moral or world lessons that are a major point of the story, but for most worshippers, the important thing is that they provide an insight into one's deities.

The story of Sif's hair, for example. It describes the harvest. That is the metaphor wink But it also shows us much of who Sif is, who Thor is, and Loki. Did Loki actually, really cut off Sif's hair? Perhaps. (It is, after all, something he would do.)

Did Zeus actually wander the pre-Classical world, shagging mortals? Seems less likely. wink But I still believe in Zeus.

There are people who believe the bible is a book of devotional merit without being literal truth, and they worship Jesus and call themselves Christians. This is fine with me, as it means they're thinking clearly about such things as the age of the earth. Do I believe Odin and his brothers created the first humans from driftwood? No. Do I believe we breathe with Odin's breath? Yes.
I'm not an athiest but I am only a christian in the loosest sense.

I personally believe God is simple the collective personification of a culture's morals. Which is absolutely true, proven by how each version of God is different to each native culture.

This is why there are different religions. Humanity refuses to take full responsibility for things, eventually everyone human in the world came to the same conclusion that there must some higher power, but their ideas of said higher power are influenced by what they grew up with, and know.

This is also proven how many christians constantly say "follow the bible", yet fail to note that the world has changed, so things do not work the same way they used to, plus the fact that bible itself has been changed over the years, with things added and removed here and there, and others mistranslated.

I have an athiest friend. He has nothing against christians, and most christians have nothing against him.

The entire point of beliefs does, and always should, sum up to "To each his own."

Sparkly Lunatic

Why can't we all just believe what we want? I believe there's a God but I don't follow everything in the Bible because it was written by men.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff