Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
1.) Degrees are pretty much wortheless, now. I mean, you can't seem to get a job without one anymore. but you also can't seem to get a job WITH one anymore, either. things that used to be available to those who finished a 4-year program now require a 6-year degree. those that used t require a 6-year degree now require a Doctorate. it's perfectly understandable that she would rather be making money now than busting her a** for a piece of paper that doens't guarantee diddly squat.

2.) I think it's bullshit of her to say that you had it easy. none of this is easy for anyone. it's not easy for her, it's not easy for you. nobody should be comparing eachother's success.

3.) friendship takes work, like ANY kind of relationship. you have to bth want to put in the effort, and you can't just give up because there aren't immediate results. that said, if somebody isn't pulling their weight, nothing will ever get accomplished.

4.) all you can do is decide what you are and are not willing to put up with. and the same goes for her. if it's not working out, you can either both really try to work together to make it work, or you let it go and move on. break-ups are sad, painful, and hard. but sometimes it just doens't work out.

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
azumitashi
I have been friends with Alice for the past 9 years. We have always been super close until she started becoming super flakey. We would make plans and she would always cancel them last minute. Our other friends have stopped talking to her but I knew she was going through a lot so I made the effort to be a good friend. We live about 4 hours away from each other but I have made the effort to come and see her at least every month. She visited me once... on my birthday... and brought her creepy boyfriend and his friend. It made me feel really uncomfortable, especially because she did not tell me that they were coming.

For the past 2 years when I have come to visit her she usually tells me that she has to work but I am welcome to hang out at her house. When I stopped visiting as frequently she got annoyed with me.

We have also been drifting apart. For example she dropped out of school to work at a restaurant and be an assistant coach at our old high school. This would be fine if she wasn't constantly complaining about how hard she has to work and how pathetic other people who only work at restaurants are. She had all of her school expenses paid for but she threw away her opportunity to get a degree, yet tells me school was easy for me because I knew what I wanted to do when I graduated. (All I knew was that I did not want to be broke).

I think the final straw for me was when a month ago she told me not to make plans for my birthday because she was coming to visit with all of our friends. Our friends did not want to drive ~4 hours to meet her because she is in the habit of changing her mind last minute and they live too far away from me to drive all that way on their own. She called me 2 days before my birthday to tell me that because no one else was going she didn't feel like going any more. If that weren't enough she called me this afternoon and told me she was coming and then texted me 20 minutes later to tell me that she needed an oil change.

I have decided to end my friendship with Alice. Is this the right thing to do?
Sounds like she isnt working very hard to keep this friendship together. It takes two to tango

Dabbler

At the point where you think this is totally a dealbreaker, you either talk it out or cut 'em off. And the first one only works so many times. It's not like this was a rash decision. No need to second guess it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff