Welcome to Gaia! ::

do any of you know what its like in a psych ward at a children's hospital [im 17]? basically, im going to be in there for a long time, and i dont know what to expect...
Well, I was in one about 6 months ago.
So, basically, they take away [pretty much] all of your freedoms.
You aren't allowed anything sharp, anything containing rubbing alcohol, salicylic acid, or benzoyl peroxide, any clothing with draw strings, shoes.. etc. You're monitored basically all of the time, so if you're used to privacy, you better get used to not having any. It's manditory that you see a pyschiatrist (usually), and you usually see them about once or twice a week, depending on the severity of your condition. There are other cousellors, ocupational therapists, pyschologists, etc, that you may also see, but it depends on your condition. You can't go into the kitchen without a staff member opening it for you. You can't use the computer without a staff in the room. You (usually) can't leave the ward unattended. You can't use the phone without asking. You're not allowed cell phones.

There are a few other rules that I have forgotten, but that's basically it.

It's a little nerve racking.

Oh, and, you have your own bathroom in your room, but there no lock on the door. And the showers are usually shared, and the staff have to knock on the door to check on you every so often.
can anyone visit besides your family?

Tipsy Wench

Hey, at least you know you're going there. I was told I was going while we were leaving for the place.

Anyways, they'll probably put you on a lot of meds. I would ask what they are all for. I didn't do that, and ended up on 3 meds that I didn't need. AND, make sure the place has a good reputation. I was told by a doctor that the place I went to should be closed down.
Have you ever been to church camp? Band camp? It really seems like a super-strict version of that. Make sure to be SUPER polite to the adults there and do everything they say... and remember that it will most likely be prohibited for you to share your personal information with the other kids there (in other words, don't get *too* attached because you'll never see them again). Good luck, have fun, and get better!!!
this is what worries me:
does a tutor come to help with school? or do you miss school for the ammount of time youre out?
babygutzxox
this is what worries me:
does a tutor come to help with school? or do you miss school for the ammount of time youre out?

I would think that they would have to. Dosent the law in the US require kids to be in school? Assuming your in the US lol.
Your Local Druggy
babygutzxox
this is what worries me:

I would think that they would have to. Dosent the law in the US require kids to be in school? Assuming your in the US lol.

probably depends on the time your in there... but i think some do have tutors, or a study period... >_<

i think other people besides family can visit. i went w/ a friend to see his sister. so i think so...

good luck!
Good luck, gal. One of my friends in high school had to go to a psyc ward, and they really helped her. It's a tough phase, especially since you're already having problems, but they WILL help you, and you WILL get better. Try not to worry. Your family is there for you, and the people at the ward are generally nice people who want to help. Good luck with everything. You're going to be fine. smile
thanks. i am so nervous, but you all have calmed my nerves alot.
thank you.
i wish you the best of luck dear i was in for a bit just be sure to mind your manners and dont try to force happyness case that makes the nurses worried, the food will be crap hospital food ad they wont give you metal untentils and the place i was in wouldnt even alow shoes the pretty much take your personal items but dont worry its not as bad as mvies make it seem and its usualy comforting to be around people who are going through the same things as you smile
well the food will be different i think. one thing they are putting me in for is anorexia, so idk.
do they let you have coke cans?
blaugh i thought the psy ward was awsome... free drugs your all dazed and stoned every day, people say some pretty funny stuff like im going to sex your fish up and kill you with my brain. and other weird stuff, one time i saw some one yelling at herself in the middle of the hall way, it was a heated argument, god.... im so stupid thinking i could win that argument blaugh
It really depends on where you go and why.

Since you are going in for anorexia, you probably won't be given medications (other than ones you may take for allergies, ect.), unless you are diagnosed with another mental disorder.

You can expect a lot of counciling, both group and individual. You'll probably do activities focusing on convincing the people in your group of what you really look like, not what you see in the mirror. You can also expect to be evaluated in individual treatment; a councilor will most likely search for the source of your anorexia.

You can try to get people you would like to see/talk to on your contact list; the people you can put on that list varies, depending on where you are.

You may or may not have a tutor come in; again depends on the facility.
depending on the instituion and the severity of your disorder

I'd be prepared for 3,000+ calories a day for a while and no privacy

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas