Pansexual

What is it? 0.31043256997455 31.0% [ 122 ]
Same as bisexual 0.086513994910941 8.7% [ 34 ]
I am pansexual 0.18575063613232 18.6% [ 73 ]
Just another sexual preference 0.30788804071247 30.8% [ 121 ]
Too horny for their own good... 0.10941475826972 10.9% [ 43 ]
Total Votes:[ 393 ]
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 >

I was just browsing through the LD forum and I came across a topic entitled "Transgender" that asked people what they knew/thought about people who are transgender. So I decided to start a similar topic about being pansexual. A lot of people don't think it's real or that it's the same as being bisexual. What are your opinions?

heart

For those of you who have not come across the term "pansexual" yet (it's been less than a year since I learned about it), wikipedia's definition is:

A sexual orientation characterized by the potential for aesthetic attraction, romantic love and/or sexual desire for people, regardless of their gender identity or biological sex. This includes potential attraction to people who do not fit into the gender binary of male/female implied by bisexual attraction. Pansexuality is sometimes described as the capacity to love a person romantically irrespective of gender.

Also, this may be an important distinction to understand during this conversation:
Svengin
The distinction between sex and gender is essential to understanding all of the ridiculous nuances used to categorize people based upon their gender and sexual preference. It's a fairly recent distinction-- often not widely used-- so the fact that you can still find one to mean the other in dictionary definitions is not all that surprising.

The basic idea is that sex is biological; it refers to your male-ness or female-ness based on your genitalia. Got a p*nis? You're biologically male. Got a v*gina? You're biologically female.

Gender has more to do with how you fit into the male/female role assigned you by society based onyour sex. These roles are molded from the stereotypical (usually masculine/feminine) traits associated with whichever sex you are. Someone who felt they didn't quite fit into the gender role they were supposed to might therefore claim a gender identity different than that normally associated with their biological sex.
My opinion is that if people don't stop inventing sexuality trends and/or joining them to be "different" or "original", I'm going to be forced stomp the s**t out a kitten.

7,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
What is it?
DreadFish
My opinion is that if people don't stop inventing sexuality trends and/or joining them to be "different" or "original", I'm going to be forced stomp the s**t out a kitten.

People don't choose their sexuality to be "different" or "original". Sometimes a person's sexuality changes over time, and other times they just can't find a label they like or they don't want to label themselves.
princess28385
What is it?

I really like wikipedia's definition:

a sexual orientation characterized by the potential for aesthetic attraction, romantic love and/or sexual desire for people, regardless of their gender identity or biological sex. This includes potential attraction to people who do not fit into the gender binary of male/female implied by bisexual attraction. Pansexuality is sometimes described as the capacity to love a person romantically irrespective of gender.
So... it's sort of like the Alyssa Jones character in Kevin Smith's "Chasing Amy", only she eventually became an avowed lesbian before temporalily shifting her paradigm back to pansexuality, and the term wasn't used in the film.

Personally, I think it's the only way to live. As soon as we, as human beings, realize that we're all one, and that right and wrong are concepts that live in the hearts of those we love, then pansexuality will be the only kind. Not only is it perfect, it's much more logical than the silly, illogical system that mainstream religious and governmental influences have propagated.

Next to go will be governmentally sanctioned marriage, which only exists because it's the keystone to economics.

Great thread wink get a little awareness out there
R_Guru
DreadFish

People don't choose their sexuality to be "different" or "original". Sometimes a person's sexuality changes over time, and other times they just can't find a label they like or they don't want to label themselves.

Right. So suddenly hordes of people are asexual and pansexual? Virtually overnight?

Invisible Explorer

DreadFish
R_Guru
DreadFish

Right. So suddenly hordes of people are asexual and pansexual? Virtually overnight?
I'm sure a lot of the asexual people simply said they weren't interested in sex but when they found a term that described it more accurately they adopted it for themselves. Same with pansexual.
DreadFish
R_Guru
DreadFish

First point - nothing happens overnight. Even greenland is gonna take a few weeks to melt due to global warming

second point - you don't just "switch" from one sexuality to another. But once people start realizing that they're not the only ones who think in a certain way, and decide to get active about it, then the revolution (such as it is) is gonna come pretty fast. Which I assume is what you're experiencing with the asexual and pansexual community.
Psychedelic Pirate
DreadFish
R_Guru
DreadFish

I'm sure a lot of the asexual people simply said they weren't interested in sex but when they found a term that described it more accurately they adopted it for themselves. Same with pansexual.

Is it not also possible that many people may claim to be of a certain sexuality just to gain attention or to go against the norm?
DreadFish

hahaha

I believe in homosexuality, but bisexual?
Not really, you're either one or the other.
Bisexual is more of just attention, "Look I ******** boys and girls, I'm cool right?"
User Image
>|3

Pansexuality is when you don't lable yourself either gender, or picky about what genitalia your partner has to put it simple.

When I grow UP I wanna be a BOY.
im a super girl
DreadFish

hahaha

I believe in homosexuality, but bisexual?
Not really, you're either one or the other.
Bisexual is more of just attention, "Look I ******** boys and girls, I'm cool right?"

User Image
>|3

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

You have it all wrong.

Bisexuality is having the ability to love anyone.
Pansexual is a bit like Bisexuality, though you don't feel like your either gender yourself.

When I grow UP I wanna be a BOY.

3,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
To me that's the same as bisexual. A person is either a girl, boy or hermaphrodite. To me if you like everyone you're bisexual. Pan means all, including genders, so if you like all genders or sexes you are bisexual. Pansexual is the same thing, just another word for bi, even if your a hermaphrodite, a he/she, your still more of one gender.

Invisible Explorer

DreadFish
Is it not also possible that many people may claim to be of a certain sexuality just to gain attention or to go against the norm?

I find it highly unlikely that all [or even most, for that matter] are just claiming it to be original. Sure, a good deal of them are, but we also need to realize that people are more open-minded now. Those who were once afraid to try things like new sexualities are free to experiment, and maybe even find that they like it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff