Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Are sleeveless and/or spaghetti strap dresses with something worn over it inappropriate for an eigth grade graduation?

YES! AND THEY SHOULD WEAR HEAD SCARVES TOO! 0.039473684210526 3.9% [ 3 ]
Yes. There are plenty of other styles to choose from. 0.19736842105263 19.7% [ 15 ]
No, because you're wearing something over it anyway. 0.44736842105263 44.7% [ 34 ]
No. Who cares. 0.31578947368421 31.6% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 76 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

I understand where you're coming from, although I didn't go to a Christian school. My mom was fairly strict about what we could and could not wear. But with the spaghetti straps... that actually wasn't an issue. I mean... in eighth grade, I didn't quite "fill out" yet, and a spaghetti strap tanktop or dress really didn't have any sex appeal on me, so my mom never said anything about it lol. But, I think it's a good thing for you to dress modestly.

Lily-livered Cutie-Pie

8,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
You could wear something like this :

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Gojane
for my 8th grade grad, we had to wear white dresses... i think that's all... it was so long ago though... gonk *feels old*
You know..I've been through multiple grad ceremonies and I found it doesn't even MATTER what you are wearing underneath. I could have worn a burlap sack and it wouldn't have mattered because I always had to wear a graduation gown over it.

If the principal says that she has to approve the dress and no spagetti straps are allowed, I guess that's what you'll have to do. I had a short sleeved dress for my most recent graduation and everyone loved it. (after the graduation was over and I could take off my grad gown and hat, that is)
Awww, they won't let you dress like a ho. Boo hoo. rolleyes

Undead Enchantress

Maybe the principal didn't feel like graduating a bunch of skanks?

Dainty Doll

You're in 8th Grade?
So how old are you?

As far as I'm concerned, that's completely acceptable when you're... what?...13? 14?

It creeps me out when I see kids that young in strapless dresses.

My kids won't be allowed to dress like that until they're at least 16.
At your age... yeah I totally agree with your principal, if it had been your high school prom that would have been something to be annoyed about. Anyway, at 13/14, who has the breasts to effectively hold up a strapless top anyway? Or were my friends and I just stupidly flat chested? xx

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

I went to a Christian school. The girls had to wear skirts, and they had to be below the knee (even the cheerleading skirts). We had to have sleeves, no skin showing. Its not a huge deal. Though it is becoming difficult to find a dress that actually has sleeves. So just by a nice sweater, shrug, or whatever you want to call it.

I wish more dresses did have sleeves. Its really difficult to find ones that find me since I completely lack and breasts.
Modest dresses that make you look good DO exist. I have a dark brown, turtleneck sweater dress that looks fabulous on me.
Well, I for one know how you feel. I graduated 8th grade last year. And it is pretty tough to look for a "modest" dress. Just get the dress you want and wear a cardigan or a small sweater over it. It's that simple.

EDIT: And based on your post, I don't think you're looking forward to dressing like a skank. Those strapless and spaghetti string dresses are pretty moderate in my opinion as long as you wear them correctly. I think everyone's misinterpreting your post, in my opinion.
maybe they should think of having a younger principal.

Sparkly Lunatic

14,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Object of Affection 150
Quote:
a Christian school

we had those rules for graduation at our PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL...
granted at prom we could wear what we wanted.
~ I don't know, I will have to see the dress first. But not straps? I love them, I like my shoulders. *snuggles in hair* it's pure evilO.O

Feral Mystic

21,325 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Timid 100
Eh... I had the same thing for my 8th grade graduation. It's not that bad, it's not like you're trying to impress anyone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff