Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
LD, let's get on topic about the epileptic peers.
I myself am not epileptic, but even I get something of a budding migraine watching this fast-paced flashing j-pop burp that should probably be avoided at all costs if you're prone to seizures.
So let's talk.

emotion_kirakira Are you epileptic?
IF YES
emotion_sweatdrop How sensitive are you to flashing colours, lights, whatever triggers a seizure?
emotion_sweatdrop If you would, can you describe what exactly it's like for you during a seizure, if you have experienced one?
emotion_sweatdrop Do you take certain precautions during your daily lifestyle?
emotion_sweatdrop Anything you want to add about living with epilepsy.

IF NO
emotion_bandaid Have you had a seizure before?
emotion_bandaid Do/Did you know anyone who was/is epileptic?
emotion_bandaid Have you seen videos and images where you had to look away from because of headaches and/or nausea (or other ails.)
emotion_bandaid Any further comment on the topic of epilepsy?

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Florescent lighting gives me headaches within minutes. I hate florescent lighting so much. I seriously get a headache every time we go to the store.

I know a guy from college who's epileptic. Runs the Gaming Club. Was in a game of Super Smash Bros. with three other people and suddenly had a seizure right there on the couch. As soon as it was over, he sat up, said, "I need to kill something," grabbed his controller and knocked all three other players out of the game. You can imagine everyone's reactions.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Raven Winter
Florescent lighting gives me headaches within minutes. I hate florescent lighting so much. I seriously get a headache every time we go to the store.

I know a guy from college who's epileptic. Runs the Gaming Club. Was in a game of Super Smash Bros. with three other people and suddenly had a seizure right there on the couch. As soon as it was over, he sat up, said, "I need to kill something," grabbed his controller and knocked all three other players out of the game. You can imagine everyone's reactions.

Dude. How would you even react to that?
I think personally after the last player's death I'd laugh, but still.
...And now I'm in the mood for Smash Bros.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Toxilicks
Raven Winter

With pure astonishment.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Raven Winter
Toxilicks
Raven Winter

With pure astonishment.

No one could breathe so much as a word, could they?

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Lillyliveredshitbirds

Oh, alright.
What?

Chantilly Bunny's Partner

Shy Kitten

13,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Have you had a seizure before?
Yes, but not in the sense of an epileptic seizure. I sometimes have vasovagal syncope, which means my blood pressure drops and I faint when exposed to certain stimuli (ex: getting blood drawn). When this happens, I have seizures. It hasn't happened in a few years now that I know how to avoid it, but I definitely scared my mom and doctors for a while.

Do/Did you know anyone who was/is epileptic?
Yes, my friend's dad is epileptic.

Have you seen videos and images where you had to look away from because of headaches and/or nausea (or other ails.)
Not really. I was actually tested for epilepsy when they were trying to figure out what was causing my seizures, and this included a test where they flashed lights faster and faster directly in my face while I was hooked up for an EEG. While the light was really annoying and intense, it didn't give me a headache or any other adverse effects. In general, I don't get headaches unless I'm sick.

Any further comment on the topic of epilepsy?
I wish people would talk about it more! I think it's good to be open about conditions like this. I also think too many people don't know what to do when someone has a seizure.
Toxilicks
Lillyliveredshitbirds

Oh, alright.
What?

the internet.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Kliapatra
Any further comment on the topic of epilepsy?
I wish people would talk about it more! I think it's good to be open about conditions like this. I also think too many people don't know what to do when someone has a seizure.

What do you do, anyway? I think my reaction would be call "000" for the ambulance, and then to restrain them so that they don't injure themselves or something like that.

Chantilly Bunny's Partner

Shy Kitten

13,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Toxilicks
What do you do, anyway? I think my reaction would be call "000" for the ambulance, and then to restrain them so that they don't injure themselves or something like that.

That's actually quite a common misperception! Restraining someone having a seizure is not recommended. You should try to clear the space around them so they don't injure themselves and let them finish the seizure. Most of the time they don't need an ambulance, but if they've been injured or the seizure lasts more than five minutes, you should definitely call.

Quote:
Do...
- Protect the person from injury - (remove harmful objects from nearby)
- Cushion their head
- Look for an epilepsy identity card or identity jewellery
- Aid breathing by gently placing them in the recovery position once the seizure has finished (see pictures in link below)
- Stay with the person until recovery is complete
- Be calmly reassuring

Don't...
- Restrain the person’s movements
- Put anything in the person’s mouth
- Try to move them unless they are in danger
- Give them anything to eat or drink until they are fully recovered
- Attempt to bring them round

Call for an ambulance if...
- You know it is the person’s first seizure, or
- The seizure continues for more than five minutes, or
- One tonic-clonic seizure follows another without the person regaining consciousness between seizures, or
- The person is injured during the seizure, or
- You believe the person needs urgent medical attention

More here: x

Additionally, from personal experience, try not to overload them with questions when they start to come around. Just let them know where they are, what happened, and that you're there with them, and let them recover at their own pace. The first time it happened to me, I awoke to two Swedish ladies at the clinic asking me a question a second and it made me really disoriented and upset.
Have you had a seizure before? No.

Do/Did you know anyone who was/is epileptic? Not epileptic, but I've known several people with seizure disorders, so I have a lot of experience dealing with it.

Have you seen videos and images where you had to look away from because of headaches and/or nausea (or other ails.) Not really. I can't stare at a monitor for too long without getting a headache though. I got an eReader recently and had to make sure I got eInk, because a backlit tablet screen would give me a headache.

Any further comment on the topic of epilepsy? I work in theatre and we're always very careful to put in the program and in the lobby if flashing lights are used. We did a show when I was in college that had flashing light in the opening and a guy had a seizure during it. Thankfully the person stage managing it was a professional, Yale educated stage manager (and a professor) so she knew what to do, but it was really crazy.

Enduring Phantom

Toxilicks

First of all, love the hair bow. emotion_kirakira

So I actually havent been diagnosed as epileptic but judging from the questions it would be more appropriate for me to answer these

emotion_sweatdrop How sensitive are you to flashing colours, lights, whatever triggers a seizure?
- Very sensitive. I've had seizures at concerts before such that if flashy lights start up I have to look away/sit down. The very fact that they're flashing makes me nervous. I'm also triggered by static noise like showers and bad radio static too, and it's aggravated by heat.

emotion_sweatdrop If you would, can you describe what exactly it's like for you during a seizure, if you have experienced one?
- First, I start to just feel weird and I know it's coming on. It's a very panicky feeling. Then I start to have auditory distortions as though I'm hearing everything from underwater or the volume is turned up for one ear or not the other. I feel disoriented. Then my eyesight starts to go. It's as though a black static starts to grow across my vision. At this point I can't hear anymore either. I get highly disoriented. For a moment I can touch my face or something around me and be aware that my eyes are open and where I am, I usually fall if I haven't sat by then and can't make coherent speech. Can't remember what happens between then and coming to. My friends who have seen this say I'm twitchy and unresponsive on the floor. Then I usually come to suddenly and feel confused and embarrassed. I check to see if I have all my things that might have been in my pockets and make sure I hadn't vomited or wet myself (luckily hasn't ever happened)

- Avoiding triggers basically...finding a place at venues to sit, looking away from sketchy lights or closing my eyes, taking cool showers, etc.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
pallbearer
Toxilicks

First of all, love the hair bow. emotion_kirakira

So I actually havent been diagnosed as epileptic but judging from the questions it would be more appropriate for me to answer these

- Very sensitive. I've had seizures at concerts before such that if flashy lights start up I have to look away/sit down. The very fact that they're flashing makes me nervous. I'm also triggered by static noise like showers and bad radio static too, and it's aggravated by heat.

- First, I start to just feel weird and I know it's coming on. It's a very panicky feeling. Then I start to have auditory distortions as though I'm hearing everything from underwater or the volume is turned up for one ear or not the other. I feel disoriented. Then my eyesight starts to go. It's as though a black static starts to grow across my vision. At this point I can't hear anymore either. I get highly disoriented. For a moment I can touch my face or something around me and be aware that my eyes are open and where I am, I usually fall if I haven't sat by then and can't make coherent speech. Can't remember what happens between then and coming to. My friends who have seen this say I'm twitchy and unresponsive on the floor. Then I usually come to suddenly and feel confused and embarrassed. I check to see if I have all my things that might have been in my pockets and make sure I hadn't vomited or wet myself (luckily hasn't ever happened)

- Avoiding triggers basically...finding a place at venues to sit, looking away from sketchy lights or closing my eyes, taking cool showers, etc.

It's so cute, right? emotion_kirakira
I'm just annoyed I can't afford the Princess of the World item. It'd look a little nicer than my current arms. emotion_8c

That sounds pretty damn terrifying though, how you've described your seizures. At least you haven't had puked or wet yourself.
My older brother was at work one time, and this woman's daughter had an epileptic fit, and she bit her tongue. Apparently, blood went everywhere, man.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff