Welcome to Gaia! ::

Betchya You want one of those darn spiffy outfits~~~!

Hell yes. 0.43165467625899 43.2% [ 120 ]
Neigh. >:c 0.31654676258993 31.7% [ 88 ]
poll whore. 0.25179856115108 25.2% [ 70 ]
Total Votes:[ 278 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 >

Swee
Hotaru-hime
Truemary Claudia
I didn't know any of that stuff. Well. Another reason to be happy my mother and step father decided against moving to Japan.

Actually, Japanese people love foreigners (especially those who are Caucasian, for whatever reason), so you probably wouldn't get bullied unless there are some real bitches in school.

Japan hates foreigners.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xCeK0Trz9E0

Okay, I know the discussion here has pretty much died off, and the original post I'm quoting was over 30 pages ago, but I did some research on this, particularly that YouTube link. Talked with a couple of people that I know whom are Americans living in Japan, and here is the response I got on showing one of them that linkk (as well as another in the related links on that vid):

Cooney

Sorry abut the really long delay to answer your mail. Ive just been getting backed up with work as always. But never fear, even if it takes a while... ok... a really long time... I will do my best to answer yur mail. smile

In short... No. I havent seen anything like these. And also, I find these videos funny becasue every place he shows in the video is whore house or a private bar. These types of signs are ridiculously uncommon and only are ever found on shops owned by the yakuza doing semi-legal/illegal things or relly small bars that are owned by 75 year old alcoholics who run their bar as a small private club.

Occasionally a place like an internet cafe or an onsen does this because of some problem they expereinced in the past. Usually with a foreigner who doesnt speak japanese or understand/respect the local customs.

In general, I think foreginers here are far more disrespectful of japanese than the other way around. The other propblem is that the racism in japan that is real, is actually directed at Chinese, Koreans and Southeast asians. Not white people. But its almost always white people who cant shut the hell up about how racist this country is. I think thats becasue its the first time for many of them not to be in the majority.

Ive been here 6 years. Ive never had a problem. Ive been stopped by the police a couple times for no reason and searched. But then again, everytime Ive needed the help of the police they have been respectful an helpful. THere are a minority of assholes in this country like every country, but I think videos like these greatly exaggerate the problem and give foreingers a very skewed view of japan.

Cooney

In my reply to this, I asked him to let me know about the mentioned racism against Africans/African-Americans as well. 3nodding
i'm just a poll ho!
I'd like to go to Japan, I'm fascinated by their cultures. And I'm interesting in the tourism spots.
Retarded Mango
But it would be pretty cool if clubs like Ouran exists. I'm pretty tired of the superficial people in American (Canadian for me, actually) schools. Do you know if Japanese students are upfront about everything?

Actually japanese students aren't upfront about anything...i don't think. While japanese culture is evolving, its not as open as some thinks
But I think they do have actual host clubs.

Just none have blonde pretty boys/homosexuals/midgets.
(Well, they may have homosexuals.)
Bakura_the_Demon
[Colonel] Roy Mustang
Bakura_the_Demon
[Colonel] Roy Mustang
Not only is bullying a problem but the syllabus put together by the MOE is rather uhh... doctored? Most Japanese text books mention very little about Japanese history from about the early thirties until sometime after Hiroshima. The Japanese like to deny a lot of stuff ever happened.

Japan is a severely xenophobic culture and there is a lot of racism present with in.

Japan doesn't like you
Lovely video set to the Japanese national anthem Kimi ga yo

There goes the neighborhood!
Koreans buy some property in Japan... hilarity ensues.

Seriously, look at some of the related videos. Japan is not a happy land.

Quoted for both Truth, AND Emphasis.
Thank you Colonel.

Anytime. Thank you for not letting it go unnoticed. I've also been reading a book called "The Other Japan: Voices Beyond the Mainstream" its about Japanese treatment of Ainu, Okinawans, Non ethnic Japanese, and descendants of the Eta class etc.

Japan is a messed up place.

Ah, I could never let your posts unnoticed Colonel~! =D

And...TRUTH.
No wonder why so many Japanese people come to America.

There's not a lot of Japanese in the states while I was living there. o_O;; I'm in Japan, and mostly I hear them just studying abroad and coming back. And my friend's dating an Okinawan. It's really not THAT bad. >_>;;
Synyster Slash
Hotaru-hime
Actually, concerning the looks towards black people, I have a senpai (i was in Japanese classes for a year and a half) who is living in Japan and visited a while back. He is African-American and said that Japanese people generally don't like Africans. People thought he WAS African until they finally asked and he said he was African-American. They seemed to relax after that.
That's just what he said though.

Eh? But there's not much of a difference, as an African-American is just a descendant of an African slave family, really. Or an African born in America/or with a citizenship. Slapping that cute little "-American" at the end shouldn't make a difference...but I guess it does.

I have a teacher, and she's all tall, skinny, bald, and in other words, super African...so when she visited Japan, they treated her really mean. crying

It's all about the reputation.>_> There are stories about Africans kidnapping girls and selling them off... Americans, well, they're usually stereotyped as military here.

5,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
Yeah, I kind of cringe whenever I see someone say "I want to live in Japannn!! ;_;" or "Wow, you're so lucky, I hate it here! I wish I could go to JAPAN like YOU!!1!" just because of the anime/manga. Hell, I cringe when someone refers to themselves as "-chan"...because if you actually did that in conversation, they would look at you like you were a total idiot. XD

Really, it's just another country. It's not some kind of amazing place where people fight demons with swords, and D-cupped girls in seifuku fly over you constantly in rollerskates with the panty flashes of OMGAWESOME!!1

It has it's many flaws. For one, I hear the air is bad. >.>

However, I would still like to visit one day. I'm currently studying Japanese, because I adore the language, and Japan in general just has a culture & historical background that interests me very much. :3
Well, speaking as somebody who lives in Japan right now, I absolutely agree that it's not like either manga or anime. At least, Japan isn't any more like anime or manga than America is like four color comic books.

Don't get me wrong, I really like it here. I live in a little inaka (country) town. It's peaceful, the people are friendly, the seafood is fresh (I'm by the ocean). I think the key is to try to jettison preconceptions and unrealistic expectations. It's a country, as many other folks have said. You have to take the good with the bad. For example, I can't find a real cheeseburger around here for love or money.
Bakura_the_Demon

Yeah, they do. They call them 'snack bars,' as I recall. I'm told that often they're staffed by girls from the Philippines on special six-month 'cultural exchange' visas.
From my Personal perspective,it should be common sense to know the reality can be highly exaggerated when presented for entertainment purposes.

Especially For Films that portray True Stories or Events.

Has North America presented our everyday lives in comics or entertainment? ,in a sense yes for Both Japan & North America. When it comes down to a life lesson we each experience but the surroundings & reality is False.

[NOTE]
After reading this post,there are Japanese kids beginning to argue about the same topic about North American Entertainment.

[Totally Unrelated note]
Why wasn't "300' presented with "Based on True Events"]

[Another Totally Unrelated NOTE]
Kellogg's is a part of healthy Balanced Breakfast
pizzasage
Bakura_the_Demon

Yeah, they do. They call them 'snack bars,' as I recall. I'm told that often they're staffed by girls from the Philippines on special six-month 'cultural exchange' visas.

みんなで騒げ Hi ☆ COMMUNICATION!!

Coolio~!

User Image
ダイブする Show me Fly the Sky...
Aww... So there is no pocket monsters or anything like that? What a shame... I wanted to catch 'em all...

But yeah... A little more serious... Japan is pretty much the same as any other country. The difference is that their society, norms, sanctions, etc. are going to be different.

Now for anime/manga portraying Japan, I would really say more for their legends and myths and things like that. But anime/manga is more of a way to tell a story.

If manga/anime represented Japan, I would never go because of aliens, robots, androids, cyborgs, monsters, demons, perverts, and big-breasted women who put their boobs in everybody's face...

This topic is kind of silly. We all know that America is not represented by gay illegal aliens that steal American jobs and save our American women. We know that we do not have mutated freaks running the streets causing mayhem. We do not have people being out smarted by creatures and animals. We do not even have talking pieces of poo for Christ's sake... The creator of the thread is acting as if there are people who actually think that if they go to Japan, they will see a flying ninja pop out of a pokeball with a transformer...
aww. i feel so bad for some of the japanese. sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces