Welcome to Gaia! ::

;-; and it's not going all peaches and butterflies and it's just plain not going swell at the moment.

cry

From your experience, do these types of relationships ever work out?
What should I do to help mine out?

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
It's up to the individuals involved to make them work out. They are just as susceptible (sometimes even moreso) to problems as any other relationship, and just as personalized. What you should do to help yours varies highly depending on the exact relationship and the problems.
Long distance relationships never work, do you not watch movies?

Friendly Member

7,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
From my experience, [look at my sig], they do work. It does take A LOT of time and commitment, though. I'd suggest, if you keep getting into arguements [if that's the problem] take a break from each other. Go do something for yourself and don't always worry what your significant other is doing.

Also, if this is over the internet, like mine was, be sure to keep it fun and lively. Change it up a bit by doing things other than chatting. Call each other, web cam, send pictures often, send snail mail. [I think everyone loves getting mail, I know I do!]

Don't burn yourself out. That can happen easily by talking 24/7 to your sig. other. Caused lots of problems for me, so I took breaks.

Only time will tell.

I waited 2 1/2 years until I finally got to meet my fiance. Now we've been together for going on 4 years and engaged! =]
they sometimes work out but not very often

i hate it when people assume DLR's never work out. They work out all the time just you always hear about the failures and not the success stories.

LDR's are very difficult but if you make the effort and commitment to see each other as often as possible it can be wonderful and very successful. It just depends on how much your willing and able to put into it.

It's pointless if you never get to see the other person, cause then it will fail. Relationships are much more than just words. You need to be able to see each other and if you can't do that your better off not in a relationship involving distance.

If you are seeing each other as much as you can and there's still problems take a look at your relationship properly, ask yourself is it really the distance that's the problem or are you just not right for each other?
They have as much chance of working as a relationship with your next door neighbor, yeah, its harder, but if a person is right for you they're right for you wherever they are, and if they're not, they won't be anywhere.
Mine is one of those, and we are just being sneaky about it. to in 4 months when we both move out and get a place together.
well depdneds the person kind of comitment you have and seriousness but as well how often do you see yourself and stuff like that, for example if you can only see yourself one time a year or evevn less is not very probable to work unless bothh of you are very in love in my experience it may or it may not depend on you
I sure hope they work because I have to spend a year in germany soon away from my other half. It's gonna be really hard because I really hate not seeing him for even a week. I think I'm just going to have to keep busy to stop myself from missing him too much. Good luck with yours.
Depends greatly on the distance and if you're able to meet regularily or not. I've tried online relatioships a few times but they've never worked out. You just can't connect to the person on the same level when it's online. And I know people are gonna argue with me on that point but human biology is pretty clear. Say what you want about being attracted to a personality. Without actual physical contant a real bond between two people can never fully be created. Just the way things work.

If you're able to meet once every other month and you're both dedicated to it and willing to sacrifice a few things in order to make it work, kudos to you. I personally would never be able too. Not again... sad

Beloved Gaian

Teh Skittlez
Long distance relationships never work, do you not watch movies?

User Image
What a common and ignorant answer to this question. The movies only depict the stereotypes and common misconceptions associated with long distance dating.

Long distance dating CAN work if the two who are involved are actively keeping communication
and working out their differences. If they can't work out their differences and communication is
short, then these types of relationships will end in failure. In these sorts of relationships
it all comes down to Trust and Loyalty to one another.
Razette

i hate it when people assume DLR's never work out. They work out all the time just you always hear about the failures and not the success stories.

LDR's are very difficult but if you make the effort and commitment to see each other as often as possible it can be wonderful and very successful. It just depends on how much your willing and able to put into it.

It's pointless if you never get to see the other person, cause then it will fail. Relationships are much more than just words. You need to be able to see each other and if you can't do that your better off not in a relationship involving distance.

If you are seeing each other as much as you can and there's still problems take a look at your relationship properly, ask yourself is it really the distance that's the problem or are you just not right for each other?

i agree you have to make the effort and commitment.
I think they work out just like any other relationship... there's always a 50/50 chance and it always takes patience and some work from both people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff