Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanged Hunter

Question for any trans* people willing to answer
Apologies if I have crappy wording

When you are transitioning, do you find you distance yourself more from people who grew up knowing you as the incorrect gender?
Or do you try to maintain your relationships through the transitioning?

Curious thought, I'm sure its different for everyone

gaia_nitemareleft emotion_bigheart gaia_nitemareright

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I think it depends on how supportive, or at least how big a thing it is with the person's friends. Obviously if their friends aren't very supportive then they aren't going to be friends for very long. if they are or at the very least don't care then chances are the friendship will last.

Also people change after transitioning. not just their bodies obviously but their personalities.

Fuzzy Member

What's with the *

Fuzzy Member

Tony Reagan Washington
Is the asterisk actually necessary or do you people just like being special snowflakes

I already know the answer, I just wanted to see what you'd say
It kinda looks like a tiny snowflake if you look at it

Dabbler

What's a trans asterisk?

I think you'd have some luck getting people's personal experiences here but you're asking a general question that doesn't really work. Since it would have to depend on if people's friends are accepting... right? Are you looking for advice?
Wow. Let's all jump to disrespectful conclusions, why don't we.

The asterisk makes the word inclusive of all related terms.

Fanged Hunter

Petrosoap

yeah just ignore them
easier that way lol

Psychomore
Petrosoap

yeah just ignore them
easier that way lol

True!

I would love to answer your q in the first post, but alas I am not trans. I'm interested in what others have to say, though. It must be a very trying social adjustment.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
I am friends with the person, not with what goes on in their pants.

The sad reality is that not everyone thinks that way. Just go by off of how your friends react to the whole situation.

Fuzzy Member

Petrosoap

How does that work though
Where is it written, or used in common parlance and who got to decide what it means, or who it includes

Sounds like madeup bullshit defended by het-up emotionals

Indulgent Partner

Not trans but I have had a couple buddies transition. I was, I suppose, kept in a circle of close friends when my buddies transitioned.

I think what is important is keeping a support net of family and friends around you. That social net, of folk who genuinely care about you, and support your identity are important for tough life events, like transitioning.

Tipsy Prophet

I really don't want to keep in touch with people who used to know me in comprehensive school/high school during and after my transitioning. I just feel like it would be awkward. Then again I probably wouldn't keep in any touch with them anyway.
Wigwam the Dodo
What's with the *

It's the trans umbrella asterisk. People use it to indicate they are talking about anyone who falls outside the normative gender and sex binary (e.g. genderqueer, non-binary, some individuals who are only concerned about their gender identity rather than their body), rather than just speaking about trans people who are concerned about the their sexual physiology and how it relates to their gender identity (or in some instances, just their sexual physiology) .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff